IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF - 60K worth of claims - would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-17, 11:35 AM
Shugalou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks 3d I do a lot of design work for my company's Western Business units. They have yet to fly me out there but if they do I'll look you up.

I'm not in a major rush and my car is running normally for now but with these older German cars you never know from one day to the next.

Cheers
Old 01-23-17, 12:01 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts

Checked out the ad and I don't think the price is anything special. It's not that hard to find '08's in the low $20k price range. You just have to wait it out.

It the price was closer to mid to higher teens I might give it a second thought as a long term daily driver. Especially if it is mechanically sound. At that price it would be better than 90% of the cars on the road valued around $20k. I mean it's a pretty good bet you could run this car for another 10 years with hardly an issue and all the while you are getting "F" performance. That's not easy at a cost substantially less than $20K. If you are buying an F partly as a collector car or one you will sell in a couple of years then obviously this is not the one you want.
Old 01-23-17, 01:11 PM
Shugalou
Driver School Candidate

Good points - Whenever I have looked at ISFs in the past the lowest I would see would be 30K so the price of this example got my attention, I try to avoid tying too much money up into vehicles as I really don't want to get into long term payments ever again. I was thinking if everything was sound and if the price was in the mid teens it would be worth a look but as you guys have informed me sometimes clean examples come up in the low 20s.

When I buy a car I try to keep if for 10 years if I can, I've had my 540 for 8 years so I'm a bit early with my itch but I like to do my research. I'm trying to avoid getting back into another German car and this is the only Japanese car that is resonating with me (I haven't tested out the is350 yet but that is also on my list).

Yes I would like to buy it as a collector because I believe that for the performance and reliability this car will eventually make it increase in value as they become more rare? Think NSX or even BMW clown shoe. I'm not sure on the going up in value since I am new to this car but I'm confident you won't loose too much over the course of ownership if the major depreciation has already been factored in. As much as I like my 540 (6 speed with only 170K) to freshen it up I'm spending the same amount as what the car is worth... I wouldn't mind doing that but the possibility of extra repairs on top (timing guides) makes me want to put that towards something else.

Please Fast and Furious do not use this car in any upcoming movie plots until I have obtained one - I don't need to resale market to be forever inflated like the Supra (which was my dream car back when it came out)
Old 01-23-17, 01:17 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shugalou
Good points - Whenever I have looked at ISFs in the past the lowest I would see would be 30K so the price of this example got my attention, I try to avoid tying too much money up into vehicles as I really don't want to get into long term payments ever again. I was thinking if everything was sound and if the price was in the mid teens it would be worth a look but as you guys have informed me sometimes clean examples come up in the low 20s.

When I buy a car I try to keep if for 10 years if I can, I've had my 540 for 8 years so I'm a bit early with my itch but I like to do my research. I'm trying to avoid getting back into another German car and this is the only Japanese car that is resonating with me (I haven't tested out the is350 yet but that is also on my list).

Yes I would like to buy it as a collector because I believe that for the performance and reliability this car will eventually make it increase in value as they become more rare? Think NSX or even BMW clown shoe. I'm not sure on the going up in value since I am new to this car but I'm confident you won't loose too much over the course of ownership if the major depreciation has already been factored in. As much as I like my 540 (6 speed with only 170K) to freshen it up I'm spending the same amount as what the car is worth... I wouldn't mind doing that but the possibility of extra repairs on top (timing guides) makes me want to put that towards something else.

Please Fast and Furious do not use this car in any upcoming movie plots until I have obtained one - I don't need to resale market to be forever inflated like the Supra (which was my dream car back when it came out)
An ISF from a previous owner here was used in Fast and Furious but the scene didn't make the cut (at least I didn't see the ISF when I watched the movie)
Old 01-23-17, 01:23 PM
Shugalou
Driver School Candidate

Ha ha thank god - LOL, although I would have loved to see it.
Old 01-23-17, 01:29 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Interesting about your 540, when I was in the market bout ten years ago I was strongly considering the 540 but settled on the GS400. I too keep my cars for many years so I felt the GS400 was the better car for the long term . Then a couple of years ago I was looking for an update and the ISF fell on my list of potential cars. I wound up buying a CPO mostly because I got lucky with 0% Lexus financing with a solid down payment. They don't offer that promotion any more. I decided to keep my GS400 as my daily driver so the ISF sees limited duty.
Old 01-23-17, 07:19 PM
Shugalou
Driver School Candidate

Damn 0% percent finance rate? Wow good score on that.

I looked at the GS400 before I bought the 540 and it did nothing for me at the time. My previous car was a 99 Honda Civic SiR that I bought new and did full bolt ons, plus suspension and exedy clutch and lightweight flywheel it was very responsive so it was difficult to find something comparable for 10-15K. The 540 felt like a boat but over the years I have grown to appreciate it. The GS400 that I looked at was a little ruff so that didn't help persuade me any, while my 540 had only 100K single owner and all service records at BMW and was 6 speed...although the 6 speed is pretty **** out of the box - long throws, clutch delay valve messing with clutch engagement. I have always wanted to do a number of things to the car to make it more of what I am looking for but the repairs always pop up and spoil the fun.
Old 01-24-17, 03:32 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think some of you are failing to realize this is in Canadian funds.

$21,000 CAD for this '08 is $15,804 USD

i have only seen 1 ISF that was "fire sold" for low 20'sCAD there was another one sold recently for 29kCAD. I have never seen an ISF lower than 20kCAD except for a totalled one that sold for $12,000CAD at auction
Old 01-24-17, 05:17 AM
Shugalou
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for clarifying that BLK - Yes CAD.

Wow 12K for a totaled one makes this look like not too bad of a price
Old 01-24-17, 05:45 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shugalou
Damn 0% percent finance rate? Wow good score on that.

I looked at the GS400 before I bought the 540 and it did nothing for me at the time. My previous car was a 99 Honda Civic SiR that I bought new and did full bolt ons, plus suspension and exedy clutch and lightweight flywheel it was very responsive so it was difficult to find something comparable for 10-15K. The 540 felt like a boat but over the years I have grown to appreciate it. The GS400 that I looked at was a little ruff so that didn't help persuade me any, while my 540 had only 100K single owner and all service records at BMW and was 6 speed...although the 6 speed is pretty **** out of the box - long throws, clutch delay valve messing with clutch engagement. I have always wanted to do a number of things to the car to make it more of what I am looking for but the repairs always pop up and spoil the fun.
Admittedly a stock GS400 is a bit of a barge. I have mine lowered along with TRD sways and 18" wheels. I have also got Borla catback and K/N intake. All of that makes for a very nice sport sedan. Just last week went on a six day 5300km road trip -- that's on a car with 425K on the clock. Just a testament to Lexus/Toyota reliability and the biggest reason I didn't go with the B'mer.
Old 01-24-17, 06:44 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a good price, and depending on the details of the accident claims, it could be a good buy.
Ive been watching the ISF market in Alberta since I got mine two years ago.. If you want a clean, low km, 2008, you're still looking at between 25,000 and 30,000 CAD
Old 01-24-17, 01:43 PM
Shugalou
Driver School Candidate

Well I called the guy and the car has yet arrive as it's in Winnipeg...everything sounds sketchy. When the sales guy picked up the phone it was "Hello" not "Hi so and so from such and such" I reminded him who I was and why I was calling...and get this. The guy starts telling me that he's going to get me the check today he's been having delays because of his accountant - LOL I'm calling about the car.

Gsman 425KM on the clock is incredible I bet those mods help it out a lot for driver fun factor. I wouldn't trust my 170KM bimmer on such a road trip.

BLK Yeah the cheapest I have seen on for is 28 and that's through another shady dealership not a CPO example....although I haven't really started looking for these until recently.