IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF - 60K worth of claims - would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-17, 08:10 AM
Shugalou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISF - 60K worth of claims - would you buy?

Hey guys,

I'm doing some research on a 2008 ISF that was from Manitoba. It has apx 100,000 KMs. I inquired about the car as the price was reduced (apx 8K) compared to others on the market. I found out there was two claims on the car that totaled apx 60K!!!

First accident was when the car had 12,000 KM and that was for around 30K and the next was when the car had about 29,000 KM and that was for close to 30 grand also. I have requested a Car Proof but have not received it yet.

Questions:
Is anyone familiar with this car?

Am I crazy to even consider looking at this car?

Is it possible that 30K could be cosmetic, has anyone had a claim this large before?

The car has not arrived at the dealership so I have not had a chance to look it over and have it inspected but my fear is that it may sell fast - although the claims against it have me worried. The dealership specializes in High-End cars

Here is the link to ad here
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Lexus/IS+F/North+York/Ontario/5_30213304_20111115101047209/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=7_15_7

I've always lusted after this car since it's launch and I want to make sure I am approaching this as informed as possible, any input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-23-17 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-20-17, 08:14 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

60K in claims was make the car non repairable, meaning it would be salvaged and more than what the car is worth. i would not entertain it. look of another car.
Old 01-20-17, 08:17 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I would not consider this car at any price.

Dave Mac
Old 01-20-17, 08:19 AM
Shugalou
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick response Mind. This was a total of 60K and being that it was new when the first 30K claim happened I'm wondering if this went back to lexus for the repairs with all new dealer parts to push the price up? My understanding of how claims work is that as long as the damage isn;r more than the value of the car the accident would be fixed unless it's structure has been compromised. - ie the car was worth 80K so 30K worth of repairs is justifiable.
Old 01-20-17, 08:20 AM
Shugalou
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Dave - Yeah I'm trying to get into this car at a rock bottom price so I know there is a lot of risk.
Old 01-20-17, 08:29 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if it did go to lexus for 30k in repairs, why would the price go up to 80K? doesn't make sense.
Old 01-20-17, 08:50 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

30k is not cosmetic damage, my F got a fresh paint job, new windshield, headlights, and two new windows and insurance didn't pay out even half of that.
Old 01-20-17, 09:24 AM
Shugalou
Driver School Candidate

NKS - Thanks I was hoping someone with experience on the repair costs could provide some insight. Maybe a $10,000 set of golf clubs got damaged in the wreck
Old 01-20-17, 11:57 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by nks979
30k is not cosmetic damage, my F got a fresh paint job, new windshield, headlights, and two new windows and insurance didn't pay out even half of that.
I'll shine some light onto this as I was involved in a fender bender with no structural frame damage which was repaired by insurance for ~9K.

- New Bumper
- Passenger Headlight
- Passenger Fender
- Paint
- 3M Protection
- Refinished Hood

There is definitely some frame damage I would be vary about at a high repair cost like that. It's probably best to stay away and keep looking. Something will pop up. You missed a great deal on an 08 black in Calgary which sold for about 20k if i recall with about 80,000km back in December
Old 01-20-17, 11:58 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

To clarify mine wasn't in an accident, just road debris damage, repairing panels could make it add up more but then that's probably more than just cosmetic damage.
Old 01-20-17, 12:51 PM
Shugalou
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input guys! 3d good to hear that these are available for less than 30 CAD. Based on your feedback this is way more hassle than it's worth, I guess I'll hold onto my 540 for a while longer....I gave it a carwash today to let it know I still care

I appreciated the info guys I hope to become more active on this forum in the future when the right one comes my way.
Old 01-21-17, 05:46 PM
JKStylez
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its a miracle this car was not "totaled" by the insurance company.
Old 01-21-17, 11:20 PM
ISF08
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a claim to be 30k on an IS-F, major mechanical damage had to have occurred, most likely from a major front end impact. That car is not worth more than $9k with those miles and accident history.
Old 01-22-17, 06:35 AM
Shugalou
Driver School Candidate

You know F08, I was think the same thing, with this amount of claims against it - it can't be worth much.

JK Yeah I'm suprised it wasn't totaled either, but I guess if that the value of the car exceeded the repair cost the insurance would rather pay for the cheaper option.

Either way it sounds like this owner(s) was a total hack and didn't respect the car and probably didn't take care of it.

And the sales guy was very quick to text me his contact info but when I requested the CarProof (which he agreed to on the phone) he never responded.

I will be patient and wait for the right one to come along.

I haven't driven one of these yet, but I am very intrigued by this car.

Last edited by Shugalou; 01-22-17 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-23-17, 10:31 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Shugalou
You know F08, I was think the same thing, with this amount of claims against it - it can't be worth much.

JK Yeah I'm suprised it wasn't totaled either, but I guess if that the value of the car exceeded the repair cost the insurance would rather pay for the cheaper option.

Either way it sounds like this owner(s) was a total hack and didn't respect the car and probably didn't take care of it.

And the sales guy was very quick to text me his contact info but when I requested the CarProof (which he agreed to on the phone) he never responded.

I will be patient and wait for the right one to come along.

I haven't driven one of these yet, but I am very intrigued by this car.
Good on you.. be patient as it took me around 6-9 months to find the right color combo choice. If you ever come down my way Southern Alberta, i'd be more than happy to offer you a ride.
The following users liked this post:
Shugalou (01-23-17)

Quick Reply: ISF - 60K worth of claims - would you buy?