IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Dead ISF (no start condition)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-17, 10:44 AM
tsx2isF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Do the brake lights come on when you press on the brakes?

Lexus has a very detailed troubleshooting flowchart for this on TIS. It is very odd the dealership techs "can't figure it out" when they have a very structured approach to no start conditions. Definitely sounds like a fuse/relay/switch issue though. If you weren't in the San Diego area, I'd be really curious to take a look at it, but I have no plans to be in California any time soon.
Im honestly not sure about the brake light. I will be going to the dealer and will ask to speak to the mechanic working on the car just to see what has been done.
Old 01-26-17, 02:18 PM
tsx2isF
Driver School Candidate

1/26 2pm Update:
Spoke to the mechanic working on the car, there is a wire from the jumper box in front of the battery that is not getting power into the cabin. That particular wire controls everything on the driver side. He is only getting 2volts on the wire vs the 12v needed. He did a direct wire from the jumper box to where the wire is connected and the car started right up.

He is still trying to diagnose where the interruption is coming from. The trouble is this particular wire is loomed in the harness that is behind the engine and into the dash.

No corrosion noted, water damage or rodent damage noted so far.
Old 01-26-17, 02:21 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tsx2isF
1/26 2pm Update:
Spoke to the mechanic working on the car, there is a wire from the jumper box in front of the battery that is not getting power into the cabin. That particular wire controls everything on the driver side. He is only getting 2volts on the wire vs the 12v needed. He did a direct wire from the jumper box to where the wire is connected and the car started right up.

He is still trying to diagnose where the interruption is coming from. The trouble is this particular wire is loomed in the harness that is behind the engine and into the dash.

No corrosion noted, water damage or rodent damage noted so far.
wow, thats cool that they narrowed it down.
Old 01-26-17, 02:25 PM
tsx2isF
Driver School Candidate

Here is the pic of the said wire and connections.
Attached Thumbnails Dead ISF (no start condition)-20170126_142145.jpg   Dead ISF (no start condition)-20170126_142042_001.jpg  
Old 01-27-17, 09:28 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Very interesting issue, hoping you get this resolved and this ISF is back on duty.
Old 01-27-17, 10:33 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

Maybe dome light left on caused wire to overheat when bulb got hot and resistance grew and it tried to pull more amperage and the wire melted and now bare metal making contact somewhere?
Old 01-27-17, 01:36 PM
tsx2isF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Maybe dome light left on caused wire to overheat when bulb got hot and resistance grew and it tried to pull more amperage and the wire melted and now bare metal making contact somewhere?

Interedting. My hope now is to find where the disruption is and its reachable. 2 options given are as follows if unable to find the source:
1. Replace complete harness which is 4k in parts alone.
2. Do a direct connection like the by pass wire with the correct gauge wire and run correctly.

we will see. I will be writing a letter to Corporate to ask for assistance.
Old 01-27-17, 01:56 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Interedting. My hope now is to find where the disruption is and its reachable. 2 options given are as follows if unable to find the source:
1. Replace complete harness which is 4k in parts alone.
2. Do a direct connection like the by pass wire with the correct gauge wire and run correctly.

we will see. I will be writing a letter to Corporate to ask for assistance.
I almost had to replace the harness as well due to a faulty battery blowing acid up the wires, I nearly did a spit take when they told me the price. Best of luck, hope it works out for you too.
Old 01-27-17, 02:20 PM
tsx2isF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nks979
I almost had to replace the harness as well due to a faulty battery blowing acid up the wires, I nearly did a spit take when they told me the price. Best of luck, hope it works out for you too.

What did you end up doing??
Old 01-27-17, 10:44 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What did you end up doing??
They poured a lot of battery acid neutralizer down the affected wires as a last ditch effort and it turned out to work, 14 months later and no other issues. Doesn't really help with your issue unfortunately.
Old 02-02-17, 10:36 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Any update on this? I am very curious how a dome light could take out a harness wire without a dead short and without blowing a fuse first.
Old 02-02-17, 11:17 AM
tsx2isF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Any update on this? I am very curious how a dome light could take out a harness wire without a dead short and without blowing a fuse first.

Old 02-02-17, 12:35 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

wow...maybe an animal got in there??

Old 02-02-17, 02:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

That's directly under the steering ECU. What about the black wire with the crimp in the insulation still in the wire bundle? Did that get addressed at the same time? Is that a crease in the protector as well, right over where the black wire looks like the insulation is damaged?

I would be digging hard to be sure this doesn't happen to other wires in the same location. It looks like the plastic tray underneath the steering ECU damaged the protector and the harness to me.
Old 02-02-17, 06:48 PM
SRTISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious, what dealer did you go to?

Quick Reply: Dead ISF (no start condition)