IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Borla drone eliminated in 20 minutes for 20 bucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-17, 05:01 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC ES3
wondering if anyone took the smaller insert out of the middle of the insert and tried it without that part?

just thinking it may let more sound out for those that feel it robs too much exhaust audio from them ?
thoughts?
I was wondering the same thing, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

-Mike
Old 03-20-17, 06:47 AM
kings222
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well...idk if its going to work or if anyone has tried it with the joez exhaust but i looked and would have to take off my tips in order to install them i believe.
Old 06-14-17, 12:52 PM
Richy21
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom2769
I finally got around to installing these in my ISS DES Magnaflow mufflers (1 per muffler - in the lower tip), and they do make a big difference in the drone. It is still there, but is greatly reduced. On my setup it really subdues the very low frequency drone I used to get in a higher gear around +/- 1,500 -2,000 rpms. I didn't do any db measurements, but with these silencers, I think the drone is even more reduced than it was by my side-branch resonators. Did some test runs too, and if I am losing any power with these, it's not enough to register on my butt dyno. Cheap fix for drone, and easily reversible. Thanks for this, OP - couldn't be happier.
got pics of them installed?? Also have ISS exhaust
Old 06-14-17, 05:33 PM
Tom2769
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Richy21
got pics of them installed?? Also have ISS exhaust
Yep, here they are...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ISS DES pic 1.pdf (962.9 KB, 277 views)
File Type: pdf
ISS DES pic 2.pdf (1.26 MB, 200 views)
Old 07-04-17, 09:13 PM
FWizard
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone comment what type of drill bit they used? Any plain old drill bit would do?
I may plan to video before and after sound of these if there's a noticeable difference
Old 07-05-17, 05:04 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 166 Posts

A standard 135 degree point bit will work fine. Make sure to center punch 1st so the bit doesn't walk.
Old 07-05-17, 11:20 AM
FWizard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rickna
A standard 135 degree point bit will work fine. Make sure to center punch 1st so the bit doesn't walk.
Thanks, I have some "carbide" drill bits laying around that I'm going to try.
Old 07-05-17, 05:37 PM
kudzuII
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have any of you tried to place a foam insert in the trunk behind the rear seat? This would effectively reduce the sound inside the car (since beneath the trunk is where much of the sound is coming from) but won't reduce the lovely borla sound outside the car. I did this with a temporary set-up shortly after installing my borla catback (which I'm selling btw) and it definitely reduces the sound inside the vehicle. I never bothered to make a permanent foam cut out because the sound grew on me
Old 07-12-17, 02:36 PM
sucabstunn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kudzuII
Have any of you tried to place a foam insert in the trunk behind the rear seat? This would effectively reduce the sound inside the car (since beneath the trunk is where much of the sound is coming from) but won't reduce the lovely borla sound outside the car. I did this with a temporary set-up shortly after installing my borla catback (which I'm selling btw) and it definitely reduces the sound inside the vehicle. I never bothered to make a permanent foam cut out because the sound grew on me
The previous owner had dynamat down in the trunk of my car and when I installed the Borla Catback the drone was still fairly significant. I feel that the mid pipe resonator may be a cause of the problem.
I have since swapped back to OEM and the car drives like silent luxury dream in comparison.
Old 07-15-17, 04:54 PM
FWizard
Driver School Candidate

This really does work! Although like everyone has said, it really mutes the noise. I hear more of my intake than exhaust when Im pushing hard. Next step is to remove them and remove the smaller inner insert to see if there's a difference.

Caution about the install, do not over tighten the screw! I stripped mine, but I'm hoping it stays put cause it's quite snug in there.
Old 07-16-17, 07:46 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by FWizard
This really does work! Although like everyone has said, it really mutes the noise. I hear more of my intake than exhaust when Im pushing hard. Next step is to remove them and remove the smaller inner insert to see if there's a difference.

Caution about the install, do not over tighten the screw! I stripped mine, but I'm hoping it stays put cause it's quite snug in there.
I've been using these without the little insert/end cap for a few months, and the drone is still reduced. I think it sounds great

-Mike
The following users liked this post:
Heyitzkhan (05-23-20)
Old 07-16-17, 01:26 PM
5280ISF
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I may have to try it without the end caps. I have had the silencers on for several months now. I just removed the silencers completely... haven't done so since we installed my headers. Without the silencers, the car seemed to breath a lot better... certainly sounds meaner. Makes me wonder how much back pressure they are creating??
Old 07-18-17, 01:02 PM
Eedo123
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So from what I've read on other car forums, exhaust silencers will cause HP loss, it varies a lot and we can only really be sure if someone dynos with and without the silencer. Aside from that, people say that they get more torque down low but feel like there is less power in the top end of the rpms. Does anyone have a clip of how their car sounds with and without the silencer by any chance?
Old 07-18-17, 01:32 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Videos won't fully capture the difference. You have to be in the cabin to really hear it.
Old 07-18-17, 02:41 PM
Eedo123
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand, I just wanted to hear how muted the exhaust gets with the silencer, I don't want it to be too quiet is all