IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

NOVEL 2UR-GSE 530HP with 8500 rpm redline !

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-17, 11:32 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Glad to see this thread took off . Good stuff
Old 03-10-17, 01:37 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Alizia
The headers look like intestines with the bends and that fleshly looking wrap lol.
they can be yours for about 6gs.
Old 03-10-17, 02:28 PM
FilwithanF
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by willstroo
I remember i watched this documentary on YouTube where "Mines" built a Nissan R 33/34 GTR engine, with seemingly underwhelming numbers of torque and HP compared to what some cars were making even on the street.. And it was expensive! Then they raced it around the track, with a non-biased couple of race drivers, and they both could not believe how fast the car was! The engine was just spot on, revved harder and faster than many other big HP builds.

They didnt go for number bragging rights, they went for a car that actually performed in all conditions, with engine parts that all harmonised and resulted in crazy ACTUAL usable power that resulted in a much faster car . Will trawl the tube and see if i find the link.

What im eluding to, is that i bet this car whilst not having jaw dropping numbers would be scary fast, brutally responsive, and faster than any of us have experienced with our FBO ISF's.
That was Best Motoring's off shoot channel, Hot Version, where they test modified cars. I remember Tsuchiya saying how the R34's front wheels were coming up off of the ground because the car was so powerful! It's one of my favorite videos!

I agree with you about Japanese tuning in general. They are usually never about numbers, but rather about excellence in engineering and balance. Another great example is the stroked K20 that Seeker was running in his Type R, making "only" 280hp out of a motor that cost about $15,000. But the reviewers loved the balance of usable power and response.

Here's the video, if anyone is interested:

It all depends on what you're after and how much you're willing to spend. Even though this motor is WELL out of my price range, I can still appreciate the amount of engineering that went into it and what a great achievement it is. Now someone on this forum just needs to buy and install it so I can live vicariously through you lol.
The following users liked this post:
willstroo (03-10-17)
Old 03-10-17, 06:30 PM
willstroo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FilwithanF
That was Best Motoring's off shoot channel, Hot Version, where they test modified cars. I remember Tsuchiya saying how the R34's front wheels were coming up off of the ground because the car was so powerful! It's one of my favorite videos!
Thats the one! Def one of my favourites too..
Old 03-29-17, 08:42 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,389 Likes on 638 Posts

A few thoughts:

There is no way their engine is making 530whp. 530 crank seems reasonable, but I don't think anyone has seen any dyno results and you can get pretty close to that with our tune and bolt ons.

Here is what I would do to get close to 500whp on a normally aspirated IS-F:
  1. Bore it out -- sounds like you can get up to about 5.7L with sleeves (as shown on the SEMA LC500 that was sleeved)
  2. Major head work -- oversize valves and porting (we actually have a local shop that offered us to develop a CNC ported head for the 2UR-GSE)
  3. Custom cams
  4. Increase compression -- on an NA engine, this is one of the most effective ways to make more power. ISF is 11.8:1, RCF is 12.3:1, and the new Mustang GT350 voodoo engine i believe is 12:1, but doesn't have direct injection.
  5. Ported intake manifold and RCF 84mm throttlebody.

So if anyone is interested in doing an NA build an getting tuned for it, let us know!

-Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

damon (02-10-19)
Old 03-29-17, 08:55 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
A few thoughts:

There is no way their engine is making 530whp. 530 crank seems reasonable, but I don't think anyone has seen any dyno results and you can get pretty close to that with our tune and bolt ons.

1. Bore it out -- sounds like you can get up to about 5.7L with sleeves (as shown on the SEMA LC500 that was sleeved)
  2. Major head work -- oversize valves and porting (we actually have a local shop that offered us to develop a CNC ported head for the 2UR-GSE)
  3. Custom cams
  4. Increase compression -- on an NA engine, this is one of the most effective ways to make more power. ISF is 11.8:1, RCF is 12.3:1, and the new Mustang GT350 voodoo engine i believe is 12:1, but doesn't have direct injection.

So if anyone is interested in doing an NA build an getting tuned for it, let us know!

-Rafi

I agree with all of this. The IS-F heads need to be reworked completely.
Old 03-29-17, 09:37 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Power is always in the cylinder heads. It's clear from the way the OEM configuration loses torque as the rpm goes up that the ports and cams are not suited to high rpm breathing. Changing the cams helps some, but if Novel is making the power they claim, they have reworked the heads pretty significantly - no doubt bigger valves and careful port work along with different cams to make breathing at 8500 rpm possible. It's not possible with stock heads, and I don't even need to see the flow bench numbers to be sure of that.
Old 03-29-17, 01:23 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

A few thoughts:

3. Custom cams

-Rafi
Might be a no-brainer question since boosting is always the easiest way for power gains, but how would this proposal fare against the supercharger? From what I can, this build will also easily cost upwards of $7000 or so...
Old 03-30-17, 04:33 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,389 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
Might be a no-brainer question since boosting is always the easiest way for power gains, but how would this proposal fare against the supercharger? From what I can, this build will also easily cost upwards of $7000 or so...

A basic forged piston and rod engine build with replacement of all seals and wear items alone would run about $7k... so going crazy with head porting, cams, etc would add significantly to that figure, if done right.

I am very certain that Novel's 8500rpm NA engine would be at least 50hp down on the SC setup. Keep in mind, the RCF has improved heads, cams, higher DI fuel pressure, and higher compression compared to an ISF... and it only makes 440whp or so with all the bolt ons and tune. So how much more power is more aggressive headwork going to yield??? 20hp, 30hp? Probably less than that!

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 03-30-17, 04:39 AM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

finding a used rcf 2ur and dropping it in a isf is probably going to be cheaper
Old 03-30-17, 09:11 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

A basic forged piston and rod engine build with replacement of all seals and wear items alone would run about $7k... so going crazy with head porting, cams, etc would add significantly to that figure, if done right.

I am very certain that Novel's 8500rpm NA engine would be at least 50hp down on the SC setup. Keep in mind, the RCF has improved heads, cams, higher DI fuel pressure, and higher compression compared to an ISF... and it only makes 440whp or so with all the bolt ons and tune. So how much more power is more aggressive headwork going to yield??? 20hp, 30hp? Probably less than that!

Rafi
Well, why did you have to ruin the fun with logic?

Supercharger it is!
Old 03-30-17, 02:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I charge $3k to port a 2JZ head (GE or GTE) and that's pure labor, no parts you would need like bigger valves, shim under bucket retainers and buckets, springs, shims, etc..

A pair of ported 2UR heads (either version) would likely be about $4k from a talented shop, plus all the other fun stuff, a lot of which as Rafi said, was addressed with the RC F and GS F engines. The one thing we really don't know is how the engine responds to bigger lift cams, potentially with greater overlap when the better heads are used, and that's really the big question. Where is the Novel engine making its power? It might very well be a dog below 5k rpm until the cams come on and have a significant torque spike when it does that a lot like putting a large turbo on small engine. At least, that's what I would expect from a 5 liter 2UR with all the goodies to make big numbers.

The thing I especially don't like about an 8500 rpm redline is the stroke of the engine is not what you would engineer if you expected to run at that redline very long, and the rods are very short for a stroke this length so the piston kinematics are far less than ideal at 8500 rpm.

Given a choice, I would supercharge the 2UR (with any kind of blower or turbo) long before I would go looking for power at higher rpm unless I had a rule restricting me from doing it.
damon (02-10-19)
Old 03-30-17, 06:18 PM
Pushtape
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am guessing NOVEL isn't concerned with some minor technicalities as mentioned above
Old 03-30-17, 08:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Pushtape
I am guessing NOVEL isn't concerned with some minor technicalities as mentioned above
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?$?$?$?
Old 03-31-17, 09:24 AM
GreenJimmy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bore to 5.7L -- that's the ticket.

Quick Reply: NOVEL 2UR-GSE 530HP with 8500 rpm redline !