IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Brakes squeaking BAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-17 | 04:59 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kings222
im 99.999% positive i added grease...i dont think ive done a brake job and not used grease on the shims. i'll have to check tho. Cant deal with this squealing **** anymore.
But was it the correct grease? What type did you use?
Brembo grease is very expensive.
Old 03-09-17 | 05:46 PM
USB_F
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
But was it the correct grease? What type did you use?
Brembo grease is very expensive.
Yep! I just paid $45 shipped for two packages of Brembo grease (4 small tubes)
Old 03-09-17 | 06:55 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

I used Permatex 24125 ceramic extreme brake parts lubricant & 3M 08946 clear silicone paste. It worked wonderfully. I am running Winmax W3 & W4, so their noisy and dusty in their natural state. The pads perform extremely well and I'd say their squeak level is fairly moderate. Definitely try bedding the new pads to the rotors, like suggested above from speedfreaks.
Old 03-10-17 | 10:25 AM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
This has been discussed several times over. The calipers on the ISF are Brembos. And Brembo states you must use Grease on their brakes. Forget what everyone else says. Lexus also has a part number for the grease, and it comes in the same tube as the Brembo grease, hence, it is exactly the same grease.
I swapped to Stoptech pads with stock rotors, and my brakes squealed like a dam freight train. Added grease to the backs of the shim, no issues and no squeals since.
Yes freight train is exactly how my ISF sounds. I'll try your advice and see if it works. My pads are only 10k in and has plenty of life left. But they started squealing around 5k miles.
Old 03-10-17 | 10:35 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Stoptechs here, no squeal at all and they work great.
I did take the time to bed them in per their website, which was difficult, but apparently makes all the difference.
Old 03-10-17 | 01:14 PM
kings222
Pole Position

Originally Posted by F Monster
Yes freight train is exactly how my ISF sounds. I'll try your advice and see if it works. My pads are only 10k in and has plenty of life left. But they started squealing around 5k miles.

yup same here...didnt squeak until around 1k miles ago and they have 5-7k ish miles on them.

just gottta find an open road to break them in like everyone's suggesting
Old 03-11-17 | 10:51 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
I used Permatex 24125 ceramic extreme brake parts lubricant & 3M 08946 clear silicone paste. It worked wonderfully. I am running Winmax W3 & W4, so their noisy and dusty in their natural state. The pads perform extremely well and I'd say their squeak level is fairly moderate. Definitely try bedding the new pads to the rotors, like suggested above from speedfreaks.
I'm using the same exact pads (w4) and also using the same permatex paste. How bad do you brakes squeal? I feel like I need to reapply a new coat every few months in order to subside the squealing.
Are you using shims on your pads or are you shimless? I have the RR racing shims, I may try it without the shims to see if there's a difference seeing as how the shims aren't fixed and made for the pad anyways.
Old 03-11-17 | 11:30 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Originally Posted by kzlflash
I'm using the same exact pads (w4) and also using the same permatex paste. How bad do you brakes squeal? I feel like I need to reapply a new coat every few months in order to subside the squealing.
Are you using shims on your pads or are you shimless? I have the RR racing shims, I may try it without the shims to see if there's a difference seeing as how the shims aren't fixed and made for the pad anyways.
I would say the first 5k were very overwhelming, they sounded like a school bus. Then one cold evening at the track this past November. They went immediately silent, like stock. Since then, they been fairly moderate. I actually never bedded the pads to the rotors. Both were installed brand new, the tech just advised to drive it easy the first 400 miles more or less. I only get reminded of the slight squeal when I'm cruising with the windows down, radio off, and my wife starts complaining. Other than that, I have a very loud exhaust and honestly enjoy the performance aspect of the pads more. I never felt the need to reapply the paste at all, and I have stock shims. As a matter of fact at the 60k mark when I did the pads and rotors. I bought brand new OEM brake kit for all four corners. This included the new shims.
Old 03-11-17 | 11:41 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
the tech just advised to drive it easy the first 400 miles more or less.
You know that tech is FOS - Right At the track, you probably bedded them in.

Lou
Old 03-11-17 | 01:56 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

yup same here...didnt squeak until around 1k miles ago and they have 5-7k ish miles on them.

just gottta find an open road to break them in like everyone's suggesting
Weird thing is I did break them in. I did 10-12 stops from 60MPH to 20MPH.
Old 03-11-17 | 05:18 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Originally Posted by flowrider
You know that tech is FOS - Right At the track, you probably bedded them in.

Lou
FOS no. Mistaken, yes. We became friends when I bought my first ISF. He did great work on that one and earned my trust since. It's been a little over 3 years now...he just did the valley plate leak on my 2nd ISF. Regardless, I couldn't contain myself...I wanted to feel the bite of the pads. I immediately took it on the highway and ran it into triple digits.
Old 03-11-17 | 05:19 PM
kings222
Pole Position

Weird thing is I did break them in. I did 10-12 stops from 60MPH to 20MPH.
Are you braking hard during this?
Old 03-11-17 | 07:57 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Are you braking hard during this?
Yup. I stomp on the brakes until I reach to about 20 MPH and accelerate back to 60 MPH.
Old 03-12-17 | 04:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Yup. I stomp on the brakes until I reach to about 20 MPH and accelerate back to 60 MPH.
What does stomp mean? Are you engaging ABS? You want to brake just short of engaging ABS.
Old 03-12-17 | 04:37 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Thought my pads were toast at 26k miles since they were replaced last. Stomped on them as a last effort a couple times and they feel perfect and quiet again.

Quick Reply: Brakes squeaking BAD