IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

SmartTap Relay Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 12:04 PM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Installed the SmartTap last nite. It's working as it should BTW, no matter what anyone tells you, installation is NOT easy. You have to remove the bottom panel of the dash no biggie. Then finding the the relay - I used this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...y-located.html

Also no a biggie - BUT getting the darn thing out and the new on in is a PITA. I have small hands, and you can only fit one hand in the small space.

Lou
Installation is super easy and takes less than a minute if you do the job my way
Simply unplug the harness from the stock relay, then plug the harness into the SmartTap relay. Tuck the relay back under panel and your done! If your concerned about the relay flopping around, secure it with a wire tie. Leave the stock relay alone. I've done this to my last three cars. Not sure why anyone would go through all that painfull effort to remove the stock relay
I'll admit it is a tight location and a bit of a pain to access, all the more reason to install using my method

Last edited by JPxMODz; 03-25-17 at 01:28 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 03-25-17, 12:16 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 166 Posts

Installed the SmartTap last nite. It's working as it should BTW, no matter what anyone tells you, installation is NOT easy. You have to remove the bottom panel of the dash no biggie. Then finding the the relay - I used this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...y-located.html

Also no a biggie - BUT getting the darn thing out and the new on in is a PITA. I have small hands, and you can only fit one hand in the small space.

Lou
Doing right aint easy.
Old 03-25-17, 01:20 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Originally Posted by JPxMODz
Installation is super easy and takes less than a minute if you the job my way
Simply unplug the harness from the stock relay, then plug the harness into the SmartTap relay. Tuck the relay back under panel and your done! If your concerned about the relay flopping around, secure it with a wire tie. Leave the stock relay alone. I've done this to my last three cars. Not sure why anyone would go through all that painfull effort to remove the stock relay
I'll admit it is a tight location and a bit of a pain to acces, all the more reason to install using my method
Yep, I too thought about using a Tie Wrap. Even tried it, but couldn't get it done with only ONE hand.

Lou
Old 03-25-17, 01:30 PM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

Yep, I too thought about using a Tie Wrap. Even tried it, but couldn't get it done with only ONE hand.

Lou
Yeah I know what you mean. If you can throw one of your shoulders out, it's an easy task
Old 03-28-17, 05:22 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Those who have installed this, how is it working out for you? I have one but I'm going to wait until this weekend to pop it in. Wanted to see if anyone else had additional issues with it first.
Old 03-28-17, 06:05 PM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by STLblueF
Those who have installed this, how is it working out for you? I have one but I'm going to wait until this weekend to pop it in. Wanted to see if anyone else had additional issues with it first.
Still waiting on my replacement to show. I would go ahead with install and test it out. You will know after first day of usage if theres any issues
Old 03-28-17, 08:54 PM
KRISH
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STLblueF
I have it installed for a day now and so far no issues.
The following users liked this post:
JPxMODz (03-28-17)
Old 03-28-17, 08:58 PM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KRISH
I have it installed for a day now and so far no issues.
Mine died on the second day. If it's good after a few days I would say your ok
Old 03-28-17, 10:33 PM
kirk200
Driver

I just installed the SmartTap in my 2014 IS F this evening. Installation went fine. You do need to contort yourself upside down and really crawl under the dashboard to get the job done. I also pulled the lower dashboard cover (2 screws) for better access, and used a really good flashlight.

All functions work so far except the unlock lights on for 20-sec (arrival) delay. The lock function w/20-sec (departure) delay works, one touch 4-blink works, and the variety of hazard light patterns work. I was mostly after the one touch 4-blink feature. First day only, will post/comment if something goes south.

Do make sure you pull the right relay. On my 2014 the OEM relay was light tan (P/N 81980-30170). There was a similar looking relay further up the dashboard that was green. That one is evidently for your stop lights... don't pull that one (it is also keyed differently). Lou's post (#43) on the prior page with the link does show the correct relay location and mounting point, just don't assume your OEM relay is the same color.

Regards,
- Kirk

Last edited by kirk200; 03-29-17 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-29-17, 07:00 PM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kirk200
I just installed the SmartTap in my 2014 IS F this evening. Installation went fine. You do need to contort yourself upside down and really crawl under the dashboard to get the job done. I also pulled the lower dashboard cover (2 screws) for better access, and used a really good flashlight.

All functions work so far except the unlock lights on for 20-sec (arrival) delay. The lock function w/20-sec (departure) delay works, one touch 4-blink works, and the variety of hazard light patterns work. I was mostly after the one touch 4-blink feature. First day only, will post/comment if something goes south.

Do make sure you pull the right relay. On my 2014 the OEM relay was light tan (P/N 81980-30170). There was a similar looking relay further up the dashboard that was green. That one is evidently for your stop lights... don't pull that one (it is also keyed differently). Lou's post (#43) on the prior page with the link does show the correct relay location and mounting point, just don't assume your OEM relay is the same color.

Regards,
- Kirk
Recieved my replacement SmartTap. Everything including ALL features are functioning correctly. I'll report back in a few days if things are good to go.
The unlock 20-sec arrival works fine. It won't work using keyfob. You have to push the unlock button on outer door handle for it to work. Just the lock 20-sec delay works fine from the keyfob
Old 03-29-17, 10:17 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,340 Posts

My SmartTap still working as it should Haven't checked the arrival or delay, because they are features I will not use. Everything else fine!

Lou
The following users liked this post:
JPxMODz (03-30-17)
Old 03-30-17, 07:58 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

will this work in conjuction if you converted to the 2012+ headlights with the nike sign drl?
Old 03-30-17, 08:45 AM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
will this work in conjuction if you converted to the 2012+ headlights with the nike sign drl?
Should be fine as the SmartTap is for the signal/hazards. Won't affect DRL
Old 03-31-17, 04:21 AM
kirk200
Driver

Originally Posted by JPxMODz
Recieved my replacement SmartTap. Everything including ALL features are functioning correctly. I'll report back in a few days if things are good to go.
The unlock 20-sec arrival works fine. It won't work using keyfob. You have to push the unlock button on outer door handle for it to work. Just the lock 20-sec delay works fine from the keyfob
Thanks - I will try that on the door unlock. I only tried to test that capability using the key fob. It will probably work that way, as everything else does as expected.
- Kirk
Old 03-31-17, 06:21 AM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kirk200
Thanks - I will try that on the door unlock. I only tried to test that capability using the key fob. It will probably work that way, as everything else does as expected.
- Kirk
I also noticed if I unlock using keyfob and it times out before I open door. The auto lock engages as normal and does the 20-sec delay

Quick Reply: SmartTap Relay Installed