IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone Know A Good Track in So Cal??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-17, 09:20 AM
Batalha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Know A Good Track in So Cal??

I really wanna track my is-f...does anyone know of a good track to take her to in southern California?
I live in San Diego
Old 04-05-17, 10:46 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I've primarily attended Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, as it's the closest one to me. A few friends have ran Big Willow and Streets of Willow in Rosamond, and they much prefer Big Willow. The problem would only be coordinating travel time in your situation. It is about 90 minutes from where I live, and given that you're in San Diego, should you decide to drive early in the morning (not recommended since you'll exhausted before you even hit the track), it's about 3.5 hours...1 way. The other alternative is to set aside maybe a weekend and drive up on a Friday to relax and track prep and then get ready for some track fun on a Saturday or Sunday. Honestly, I have heard nothing but great reviews from the guys who have ran Big Willow in their Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
Batalha (04-06-17)
Old 04-05-17, 12:04 PM
Jerry_Supra
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
I've primarily attended Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, as it's the closest one to me. A few friends have ran Big Willow and Streets of Willow in Rosamond, and they much prefer Big Willow. The problem would only be coordinating travel time in your situation. It is about 90 minutes from where I live, and given that you're in San Diego, should you decide to drive early in the morning (not recommended since you'll exhausted before you even hit the track), it's about 3.5 hours...1 way. The other alternative is to set aside maybe a weekend and drive up on a Friday to relax and track prep and then get ready for some track fun on a Saturday or Sunday. Honestly, I have heard nothing but great reviews from the guys who have ran Big Willow in their Lexus.

Also Chuckwalla, Buttonwillow and if you're willing to make the drive, Laguna Seca.
Old 04-05-17, 01:14 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

Anyone with keys to El Toro field in Irvine?
That would be an awesome site for the next "F" meet.

http://rent.ocgp.org/el-toro-field

Last edited by Rossi; 04-05-17 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-06-17, 11:48 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I think the closest and best track to you is going to be Chuckwalla in Desert Center. It's very wide open with nothing to hit besides the flag stands and the k-wall on the front straight. There is also auto club speedway in Fontana but I don't think I would recommend that for your first time since its a very fast track with a lot of walls. It's also brutal on brakes and I'm assuming you'd want to track the car as-is for your first time. Up in Rosamond you have Willow Springs which has three different tracks (Big willow, streets of willow and horse thief mile). Furthest north but still technically considered a SoCal track is Buttonwillow which can be run in a ton of different configurations but the one everyone wants is "CW13".

-Matt M.
Batalha (04-06-17)
Old 04-06-17, 02:45 PM
kings222
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah chuckwalla is for sure the closest unless you have tons of money and can get into Thermal Raceway.
Batalha (04-06-17)
Old 04-06-17, 07:49 PM
Batalha
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
sweet, thanks for the tips!
Old 04-06-17, 08:10 PM
Batalha
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
I think the closest and best track to you is going to be Chuckwalla in Desert Center. It's very wide open with nothing to hit besides the flag stands and the k-wall on the front straight. There is also auto club speedway in Fontana but I don't think I would recommend that for your first time since its a very fast track with a lot of walls. It's also brutal on brakes and I'm assuming you'd want to track the car as-is for your first time. Up in Rosamond you have Willow Springs which has three different tracks (Big willow, streets of willow and horse thief mile). Furthest north but still technically considered a SoCal track is Buttonwillow which can be run in a ton of different configurations but the one everyone wants is "CW13".

-Matt M.
Thanks so much for the advice here! I think Chuckwalla is the winner! lol
Old 04-06-17, 08:17 PM
Batalha
Driver School Candidate

Do you guys have any recommendations on prepping for the track besides maybe adding a couple psi tire pressure?

Do you guys have traction control on or off?
Old 04-07-17, 07:50 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Batalha
Do you guys have any recommendations on prepping for the track besides maybe adding a couple psi tire pressure?

Do you guys have traction control on or off?
1. Bleed your brakes, bleed your brakes, bleed your brakes (very important if it hasn't been done in awhile).
2. Check your oil & coolant levels
3. Torque your lug nuts in the morning before the first track session, as well as in between sessions (though, let them cool a bit before doing so).

I recommend leaving traction control on at first..Sport mode is forgiving enough to let the rear slide a bit without drastically cutting power.. Besides, if it's coming on all the time, it's an indicator that you probably need to slow down a bit & work on your lines.. Unless your IS-F is a dedicated track car, you probably want to keep it on the pavement
Have fun!

-Mike

Last edited by mikersoft; 04-07-17 at 03:19 PM.