IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Clean your mass air flow sensor lately?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-17, 04:45 PM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Clean your mass air flow sensor lately?

After doing a carbon clean, plugs, & finalizing my detailing today, I was looking to make any available work for myself & thought that I hadn't done this since I've owned the car. Wow, what a difference... I'd recommend everyone who hasn't done this give it a shot.

It took me 15 minutes. In my case with the K&N, I had to deal with two clamps and two screws. Grab your electronics cleaner, pull the MAF sensor & hose the needles inside and outside the plastic. If you're looking for a DIY, there's quite a few posted, here's one. A fantastic improvement, particularly off the line. Highly recommended for those who aren't aware. Enjoy the weekend!!
Old 05-07-17, 03:53 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Is it necessary to clear the ecu afterwards per your link? I've never done that when cleaning a MAF. Are you sure the difference you're feeling is not due to the ecu reset? Also, why even bother disconnecting the wires? Can't you just unbolt the MAF and pull it out to clean?

And, there is MAF cleaner spray dedicated to the task as well.

Last edited by Jz39; 05-07-17 at 04:00 AM.
Old 05-07-17, 07:43 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jz39
Is it necessary to clear the ecu afterwards per your link? I've never done that when cleaning a MAF. Are you sure the difference you're feeling is not due to the ecu reset? Also, why even bother disconnecting the wires? Can't you just unbolt the MAF and pull it out to clean?

And, there is MAF cleaner spray dedicated to the task as well.
I didn't think it necessary to reset the ecu so I didn't do that (but had the week before last when I did plugs). The way it sits on mine requires removal of the intake. Because I didn't have MAF cleaner on the shelf, I found electronics cleaner to be completely sufficient - and it was. I didn't write that DIY, fyi.
Old 05-07-17, 11:10 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

I've cleaned my MAF before but didn't user Electrical cleaner as I've always used isopropylene in either liquid or spray.

If Electrical cleaner works that's a new one for me.
Old 05-08-17, 08:59 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I usually clean the MAF periodically on cars I own that actually have a MAF. I just use the MAF cleaner they sell, couple sprays and let it dry, done
Old 05-08-17, 10:22 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
I usually clean the MAF periodically on cars I own that actually have a MAF. I just use the MAF cleaner they sell, couple sprays and let it dry, done
I was really surprised to notice as much of a difference as I did with this. The pins themselves didn't look dirty at all, however they SHINED after I used the elec cleaner.

After doing my carbon clean, plugs, having gaskets repaired (getting a possible hint of increased compression), and this, my car has never run better. I'm getting whiplash-like response without even trying.
The following users liked this post:
supersonic (05-08-17)
Old 10-29-20, 10:49 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
After doing a carbon clean, plugs, & finalizing my detailing today, I was looking to make any available work for myself & thought that I hadn't done this since I've owned the car. Wow, what a difference... I'd recommend everyone who hasn't done this give it a shot.

It took me 15 minutes. In my case with the K&N, I had to deal with two clamps and two screws. Grab your electronics cleaner, pull the MAF sensor & hose the needles inside and outside the plastic. If you're looking for a DIY, there's quite a few posted, here's one. A fantastic improvement, particularly off the line. Highly recommended for those who aren't aware. Enjoy the weekend!!
Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
I was really surprised to notice as much of a difference as I did with this. The pins themselves didn't look dirty at all, however they SHINED after I used the elec cleaner.

After doing my carbon clean, plugs, having gaskets repaired (getting a possible hint of increased compression), and this, my car has never run better. I'm getting whiplash-like response without even trying.
Following up on cleaning your MAF sensor (which I've never done before) I ran across a few people in the thread you linked above and this from Amazon:

From Napa Website: "Do not use MAF sensor cleaners on Karman-Vortex style air flow sensors, which are found in Toyota Supra turbos, Mitsubishi, and most Lexus engines". http://knowhow.napaonline.com/know-h...our-maf-sensor

Does anybody know if we have this type of MAF sensor?

Old 10-29-20, 02:34 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Karman-Vortex mafs are old school, maybe 20+ years. New cars are not Karman-Vortex mafs, safe to use the CRC cleaner for the ISF.

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Following up on cleaning your MAF sensor (which I've never done before) I ran across a few people in the thread you linked above and this from Amazon:

From Napa Website: "Do not use MAF sensor cleaners on Karman-Vortex style air flow sensors, which are found in Toyota Supra turbos, Mitsubishi, and most Lexus engines". http://knowhow.napaonline.com/know-h...our-maf-sensor

Does anybody know if we have this type of MAF sensor?
Old 10-29-20, 02:39 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Interesting, thanks for the info...........why does it say and most Lexus engines? Wonder what type of Lexus engines they are talking about? Maybe early 90's....
Old 10-29-20, 09:59 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

I know 2jzge and 1uz had karman vortex MAFs. A KV maf uses a photo transistor to convert vorticies through a LED and a mirror making a voltage signal. Its important the mirror stays clean and scratch free, using a MAF cleaner would usually leave a residue on the mirror and if cleaned risked scratching the mirror.
MileHIFcar (10-30-20)
Old 10-30-20, 03:18 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Ok that makes sense why they have that warning on the MAF cleaner for Lexus vehicles
Old 11-14-20, 07:37 AM
AlOtaBblGm
Pole Position

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

Did the cleaning last week. Very noticeable improvement in smoothness off the line!
Old 11-14-20, 09:55 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

For sure I cleaned mine last week as well big difference in how the car accelerates I'm assuming mine was dirty and not reading the air properly therefore I was probably running lean since it wasn't compensating with the correct amount of fuel especially with the tuned intake.

Considering I've never cleaned mine before I would highly recommended to clean your mass air flow sensor it doesn't take but 5 minutes to clean it I let mine air dry for a good 2 to 3 hours before I reinstalled and drove the car.
Old 11-15-20, 10:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,052 Likes on 2,455 Posts

If you're running the OEM paper filter, this should never be necessary.
Positron (11-16-20)
Old 11-16-20, 08:32 AM
AlOtaBblGm
Pole Position

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

Agreed but the RRR tuned intake uses a K&N cone. Plus it looks cool.

Quick Reply: Clean your mass air flow sensor lately?