IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Joe z exhaust isf - drone... Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 02:18 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander311
Did you try the MC "dB killer" type inserts? Mine came in the mail but my other mods have been priority before my drivetrain warranty expires... seems many have seen substantial improvement however, and it's 2 minutes to remove or re-install to suit your driving/passengers.
Not quite a 2 min install on the Joez because there is only a single exit on the muffler rather than the 2 on the borla and its placed between the 2 faux tips on the bumper.
Old 07-14-17, 02:21 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

DJ, do you still have the factory exhaust manifolds & primary cats? If you do, I'd personally recommend installing a set of equal length headers. They eliminated all of the dissonance from my setup without reducing flow. It's an expensive cure which may not be an option where you live, but it's def. effective.
Old 07-14-17, 03:11 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidtek
Not quite a 2 min install on the Joez because there is only a single exit on the muffler rather than the 2 on the borla and its placed between the 2 faux tips on the bumper.
ahhh.. there is that. But who puts on a JoeZ because they want quiet?? Ha! Said linked mod was specific to the Borla IIRC... I imagine in a single-out setup, power loss due to added back-pressure would be substantial.
Old 07-16-17, 01:49 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by DJN3
Circling back (700+ miles later)

The drone is still there. Overall sound of the exhaust has toned down a bit, but the drone has not disappeared. Part of me wants to believe because the car is automatic and not manual = the reason why I can't avoid the drone as easily. Unless you're driving like a pissed off teen (full throttle) or a senior citizen (partial to no throttle), you'll always have that drone with this exhaust that starts around 1500-2000 rpm.

Leaving it in sport mode helps a little but not enough to make it worthwhile. I'll give it another month before I decide if I want to flip this exhaust and go back to something more mature/tame.
If your going with catback exhaust there's only one way to avoid some drone, don't put catback exhaust on, stick with axle back or stay with oem setup if your sensitive drone. I'm 53yrs old I've had Joe Z exhaust on for 7 yrs, PPE headers for 5yrs now RR Racing Tune and tuned Intake which I luv, I've got intake sound again after not hearing it for 7yrs lol but I will tell you this these 3 combined sound epic, and this is my DD from Westchester County to NYC 5 days week. I get compliments for vette, BMW, mustang, Sti, Camaro, you name it. I guess I'm still kid at heart will always be when I want tame I drive RX or wifes bimmer.
Old 07-16-17, 01:57 PM
DJN3
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Weapon F
If your going with catback exhaust there's only one way to avoid some drone, don't put catback exhaust on, stick with axle back or stay with oem setup if your sensitive drone. I'm 53yrs old I've had Joe Z exhaust on for 7 yrs, PPE headers for 5yrs now RR Racing Tune and tuned Intake which I luv, I've got intake sound again after not hearing it for 7yrs lol but I will tell you this these 3 combined sound epic, and this is my DD from Westchester County to NYC 5 days week. I get compliments for vette, BMW, mustang, Sti, Camaro, you name it. I guess I'm still kid at heart will always be when I want tame I drive RX or wifes bimmer.
Wish I could say it was just me that was sensitive to drone... But the community seems very much split on the drone for this exhaust.

Definitely did not want quiet ... Otherwise I would have stayed with my previous setup. Luckily I have the option to go back easily.

Safe to say this thread should be killed. Just like how we all perceive music differently, perspective on what sounds good for cars will always be a never-ending debate. Thanks for all the input.
Old 07-16-17, 02:59 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DJN3
Wish I could say it was just me that was sensitive to drone... But the community seems very much split on the drone for this exhaust.

Definitely did not want quiet ... Otherwise I would have stayed with my previous setup. Luckily I have the option to go back easily.

Safe to say this thread should be killed. Just like how we all perceive music differently, perspective on what sounds good for cars will always be a never-ending debate. Thanks for all the input.
Yes, exhaust preferences are very much subjective, but acoustics are by definition an objective science. After taking an engineering acoustics course in college, I've often been the go-to engineer for noise problems at work. I've a solid RTA/FFT tool for performing spectral analysis, and I plan on doing WOT measurements at various RPM's with the Borla (gutted stock pre-cats, aftermarket GESi's added), and then again after adding the dB killers to provide an attenuation profile. If possible, I may even compare installation in the upper vs lower tips... wish I'd started by doing stock measurements, but as they say, hindsight is 20/20...
Old 07-17-17, 07:45 AM
kings222
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i hate drone and i have the joe z. its about the max i could take. but the compliments on the sound make up for it. ha