IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Upgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-17, 10:18 AM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
Wonder what would be involved in convincing Bilstein to offer the B8. There's so many F's with swift springs that are happy with the ride height that a B8 just makes WAY more sense than the B6.
I've done just this I've gotten touch with Bilstein corporate headquarters they advised me to fill out the following form, go to the Bilstein webpage on the top left-hand side you will see an area that says bye Bilstein select that once the second page opens go down to the left bottom portion of the page where you will see (Ride Testing Submission)you still like that on that page it will explain exactly what will occur at the bottom of that page you would then select (Ride Testing Form) fill out the information such as personal data car type what we're looking for B8 with swift spring set up. So anyone who has Swift's lowering springs as well as your stock Springs that would definitely help.

If selected for testing by Bilstein the following would occur
Installation confirmation and tuning of dynamic characteristics (damping/valving).

Vehicle usage would encompass approximately 200 miles of on-road evaluation within a week’s period of time.Vehicle owner is required to deliver vehicle to the Bilstein Aftermarket headquarters in Poway, CA, and make arrangements for alternative transportation during the time of product installation and tuning.

In exchange for use of subject vehicle, vehicle owner will receive, at no charge, one set of shock absorbers (front & rear) installed on his/her vehicle, four wheel alignment and a full tank of fuel. thyssenkrupp Bilstein offers a full “Garage Keeper’s Endorsement” providing vehicle owner insurance.

I will set up a separate post just on this to get as much exposure as possible not just ISF community but the RCF and GSF communities as well. The bigger the demand the more likelihood that they would be willing to create a B8 for all three vehicles. So to anyone out in Southern California and would be willing to do this. Let me know guys I think we can pull this off we just need to show Bilstein there's a big enough demand for it.
Thanks
David

Last edited by Weapon F; 07-07-17 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-07-17, 11:46 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

That's awesome! Would be super cool if one of our Cali brethren was able to volunteer their vehicle for the R&D process.
Old 07-07-17, 01:32 PM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by FFM
That's awesome! Would be super cool if one of our Cali brethren was able to volunteer their vehicle for the R&D process.
Yes sir you are 100% right all we need is just one to show up. I've already posted on the RCF and GSF forum's as well if I can gather one of each car and set an appointment up with Bilstein corporate to have all three come over I think that we can show them that there is a market for the B8 out there for the Lexus F model of cars. I can understand not making it just for the ISF a few years back but now with the RCF the GSF the LC 500 out now the F line is not going anywhere, that Lexus has now truly committed to a sport variants of their cars. That they're missing out on a whole segment of vehicles.
Old 07-07-17, 01:46 PM
FFM
Racer

Why stop there, they should offer us the PSS10's
Old 07-07-17, 02:37 PM
Weapon F

Something like the PSS10's would be a great alternative to BC coilovers totally, especially at the price point that they offer them in.

Last edited by Weapon F; 07-07-17 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-07-17, 03:45 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

I'll be watching this thread to see if this comes to fruition!

****..... if I was out there I would volunteer and get me a free set gratis
Old 07-07-17, 04:50 PM
UKF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My B6s have arrived. As can be seen the height of the shocks and position of the spring perches are same as the OE 2008 shocks. Left is a front shock, right is a rear shock. Looks like a simple swap of springs and mounts across to the Billys
Old 07-07-17, 06:25 PM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by UKF
My B6s have arrived. As can be seen the height of the shocks and position of the spring perches are same as the OE 2008 shocks. Left is a front shock, right is a rear shock. Looks like a simple swap of springs and mounts across to the Billys
Nice!!! Let's us know how you like ride compared to factory setup.
Old 07-07-17, 06:36 PM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I'll be watching this thread to see if this comes to fruition!

****..... if I was out there I would volunteer and get me a free set gratis
Going try my hardest would luv to make this happen. I have RCF owner that's interested. Going to start new thread, and see if I can get some more volunteers. Crossing my fingers.
The following users liked this post:
MileHIFcar (07-07-17)
Old 07-07-17, 07:17 PM
DjMarkOne
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Weapon F
Going try my hardest would luv to make this happen. I have RCF owner that's interested. Going to start new thread, and see if I can get some more volunteers. Crossing my fingers.
If I was in SoCal then I'd be down to lend them my ride. I wonder what a set of swift springs paired with B8's would feel like?
Old 07-07-17, 10:51 PM
Manh3
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2012 with swift springs and live less than 10 minute away from their hq. My concern is that I love the way my car rides now with the oem sach shocks and worry that the b8 may ride too harsh as it's my wife's baby mobile. Would the b8 shocks be an upgrade?
Old 07-08-17, 04:15 PM
UKF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manh3
I have a 2012 with swift springs and live less than 10 minute away from their hq. My concern is that I love the way my car rides now with the oem sach shocks and worry that the b8 may ride too harsh as it's my wife's baby mobile. Would the b8 shocks be an upgrade?
I would stick with the Sachs
Old 07-08-17, 08:02 PM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by Manh3
if your not looking to lower your car I would replace oem Sachs with Blisten B6's they well give what your looking for.
Old 07-10-17, 08:41 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by UKF
I am really anxious to hear your impressions. I have been wanting to do this for years. I have put Bilstein's in several other cars I have owned from Porsche 911's to Jeeps and have loved them. The B6 should work very well with the OEM spring and very likely a mild lowering spring like the Swift. The problem with the 2008 suspension was a poor combination of shock valving and spring rate. This doesn't mean that either one was automatically bad, if they are paired with the correct partner they can work great. I think Bilstein has addressed the high rate OEM spring with a correctly valved shock with a nice rebound profile.

So many others are crazy for coilover but for street they are really over kill and for a regular driver it is a lot of money to get a well made set, have them installed, and have the car corner balanced. And then there is the maintenance...

The B8 really isn't necessary unless you are really going to put aggressive lowering springs on the car, but then I think those that want a really low car are going threaded body coilover anyway. It makes the B8 market for ISF small for Bilstein. I'm guessing it was a business decision at Bilstein to just make the B6 as many cars are now of the age to just have the stock shocks replaced with a OEM like replacement.

It is my understanding the B6 and B8 have the same valving and performance profile and just very in piston length to maintain an "optimal" working position for the corresponding spring height.

Last edited by UCrazyKid; 07-10-17 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-10-17, 10:52 AM
FFM
Racer

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
It is my understanding the B6 and B8 have the same valving and performance profile and just very in piston length to maintain an "optimal" working position for the corresponding spring height.
Would have to confirm with Bilstein but I do believe they are slightly different in dampening as well as the height of the shock body. Either way, it's in our best interest to have the extra shock travel back that we lose when we install lowering springs. I would agree that the Swift springs that the majority of us install aren't super aggressive, but a properly matched shock with optimal travel would be a huge step up from even the B6.

At this rate it's almost worth trying the Tokico's that are offered with adjustable dampening considering how cheap they are.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)