Ohlins Road and Track FIGS ISF Specific

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-17, 11:48 AM
lx470man
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ohlins Road and Track FIGS ISF Specific

Hey Guys,

I am thinking about getting the Ohlins Road & Track coils for my ISF but there isn't a single review or mention about them anywhere. Is there anyone here that have them on their ISF? If so how do you like them? Because they are a very pricey upgrade. I was just wondering because the stock suspension on my 08 is crazy harsh over bumps and its time to address this issue. I do have to admit I prefer not to take my ISF anywhere far as the ride is unbearable.

Any opinions on them are appreciated.
Old 08-09-17, 12:39 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lx470man
Hey Guys,

I am thinking about getting the Ohlins Road & Track coils for my ISF but there isn't a single review or mention about them anywhere. Is there anyone here that have them on their ISF? If so how do you like them? Because they are a very pricey upgrade. I was just wondering because the stock suspension on my 08 is crazy harsh over bumps and its time to address this issue. I do have to admit I prefer not to take my ISF anywhere far as the ride is unbearable.

I have them on mine. They're pretty good and feel very solid. They're very comfortable in their softer settings even over NYC pothole ridden streets. They're not LX comfortable, but compared to my 2011 stock suspension and Penske coilovers these are noticeably more comfortable and quiet. They also improve handling and feel noticeably.
Old 08-09-17, 01:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

KW comfort
Penske track
Ohlins both
The following users liked this post:
TXGS430 (06-08-21)
Old 08-09-17, 07:23 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I could not drive my f (2008, 60k mi.) last year when it had it's stock suspension and I was recovering from broken ribs. Began pricing KW's but picked up a set of the Ohlins Road & Tracks instead from a local guy advertising 'em on ClubLexus. The seller got them from Japan, and they're Isf specific units with 16/12 linear springs (no helpers). My initial choice of the KW's (& subsequently, the Ohlins) was based on their reps. on both ClubLexus and Mr2OC.com. I'm still trying to locate front Ohlins for my SW20.

They were installed along with RR's usrs and a square wheel & tire setup (265/35 mpss on 18 x 9.5/45 ze40s). And a nice street alignment & corner balancing (why have coilovers if you don't do this?).

When I first drove off from the shop onto bumpy, patched pavement, the car rode so smooth I thought something was wrong with it. And it had been lowered just a bit more than I would have liked. Note the larger sidewalls also help to improve ride.

Another thing to remember is that shocks are wear items (esp. ones used hard with stiffer springs), so it's a plus if they're rebuildable. And the Ohlins, Penskes (& AFCO's?) are even tunable.

Last edited by tas02; 08-10-17 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-10-17, 12:53 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tas02
I could not drive my f (2008, 60k mi.) last year when it had it's stock suspension and I was recovering from broken ribs. Began pricing KW's but picked up a set of the Ohlins Road &Tracks instead from a local guy advertising 'em on ClubLexus. The seller got them from Japan, and they're Isf specific units with 16/12 linear springs (no helpers). My initial choice of the KW's (& subsequently, the Ohlins) was based on their reps. on both ClubLexus and Mr2OC.com. I'm still trying to locate front Ohlins for my SW20.

They were installed along with RR's usrs and a square wheel & tire setup (265/35 mpss on 18 x 9.5/45 ze40s). And a nice street alignment & corner balancing (why have coilovers if you don't do this?).

When I first drove off from the shop onto bumpy, patched pavement, the car rode so smooth I thought something's wrong with it. And it had been lowered just a bit more than I would have liked. Note the larger sidewalls also help to improve ride.

Another thing to remember is that shocks are wear items (esp. ones used hard with stiffer springs), so it's a plus if they're rebuildable. And the Ohlins, Penskes (& AFCO's?) are even tunable.
I didn't know Ohlin made coils for the mr2 at all? I just have BC on my mr2 but only because higher end coilovers are hard to find for the platform, even though the BC are miles better than the stance coilovers I had on it years and years ago
Old 08-10-17, 01:32 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Ever hear of Hyper Rev, the jdm vehicle specific wish books?

The sw20 (Gen. 2 Mr2) Ohlins were inverted struts (not height adjustable coilovers) with anodized bodies. The damping is adjustable. I believe Phoenix's Power (fka "Garage Fukui") also marketed actual coilovers using Ohlins dampers. Both were pricey, and discontinued more than 10 yrs. ago.

I bought a pair of Ohlins rear struts years ago for $100 from somebody parting their half-cut. On my sw20 I run TRD coilover bodies with Koni inserts, custom AlexW top hats (to maximize caster) & springs.

Last edited by tas02; 08-10-17 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-10-17, 09:58 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by lx470man
Hey Guys,

a quick Google search land me here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/825855-note-long-overdue-figs-ohlins-coilovers-for-isf-review.html
Old 08-11-17, 11:17 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tas02
Ever hear of Hyper Rev, the jdm vehicle specific wish books?

The sw20 (Gen. 2 Mr2) Ohlins were inverted struts (not height adjustable coilovers) with anodized bodies. The damping is adjustable. I believe Phoenix's Power (fka "Garage Fukui") also marketed actual coilovers using Ohlins dampers. Both were pricey, and discontinued more than 10 yrs. ago.

I bought a pair of Ohlins rear struts years ago for $100 from somebody parting their half-cut. On my sw20 I run TRD coilover bodies with Koni inserts, custom AlexW top hats (to maximize caster) & springs.
oh nice nice man!

OP sorry for the threadjack, I cant resist mr2 talk when I see it haha