My IS F search has begun!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-17, 06:59 AM
staticset
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My IS F search has begun!

Hey guys,

This is my first post here and I'm looking for some advice on how to go about structuring my search for one of these cars. I've been all over in the world of modified cars and am no stranger to turning a wrench or designing some parts - but one thing I've learned along the way is that there's little nuances about every platform that you never know until you actually own one.

Currently I daily drive an Evo X which is rapidly becoming less streetable by the month and have decided that it's actually time to grow up a little bit, park the evo during the week, and get a car that fits me but isn't too over the top like the ol Mitsubishi. Seems like the IS F fits the bill perfectly but I don't know which options to keep an eye out for. For instance - my Evo came with the "SSS" package which included a better sound system, leveling HID headlights, and ridiculous spoiler. At the time when I bought it I had no idea that was even an option so I'm trying to avoid making another blind buy.

Colors are easy enough to choose - but are there things like brake/wheel, sound, interior, options that are more desirable than others? Evos tend to get rust in the engine bay by the hood hinges - are there any areas that gather more rust than others on these? Common mechanical issues to keep an eye out for? Just gathering knowledge from everyone's personal experience so I can know exactly what I'm looking at. Google is my friend, but there's occasionally some things that an internet search will gloss over or miss.

Thanks for the help! Glad to be here and I can't wait to find the right one to bring home to the garage.
-asher

Here's a picture of the Evo for S&Gs:

Last edited by staticset; 08-30-17 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-30-17, 07:36 AM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

There is a ton of good search history from people that were in your shoes so I suggest you start there. The F's are all pretty much the same per model year with an exception of some Neiman Marcus models that came out in the beginning with a slightly different trim package. What I am saying is all the F's come with the exact same options - loaded.

Again, there is great info on this board and the majority of the guys like the 2010+ and above model years due to LSD and such over the earlier 08 - 09 models. You might also want to read up on the few inevitable maintenance failures these cars will have such as the valley pan leak and water pump.

Good luck in your search and you will be happy with your new to you DD when you find it.
The following users liked this post:
staticset (08-30-17)
Old 08-30-17, 08:19 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm not a big fan of white Evo's since they are so many of them in SoCal, but clean setup on yours! Love the stance.

Why is it no longer streetable if you don't mind me asking? Switching to E85 or suspension too firm for the crappy roads?
Old 08-30-17, 09:32 AM
staticset
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mk416
I'm not a big fan of white Evo's since they are so many of them in SoCal, but clean setup on yours! Love the stance.
Why is it no longer streetable if you don't mind me asking? Switching to E85 or suspension too firm for the crappy roads?
Thank you sir - it does seem to be the prevalent color for sure. I enjoy participating in circuit events on a regular basis and having to switch everything out from "normal use" to "track prep" is starting to get old. Brake pads, wheels/tires, exhaust, driver seat are changed every time. Also the lack of a dedicated roll cage limits me as to which kind of events/tracks I can take it on. I'd like to be able to drive at VIR, AMP, or Charlotte infield. Then there's the suspension like you brought up - if anyone here ever needs to pass a kidney stone just hit me up. I can't just swap that out with the stock stuff since I'd then have to break out the Smart Strings kit and align the thing every time. The cams can hardly keep the AC compressor turning at idle or in slow traffic... it's getting to be too much honestly.

Originally Posted by mr2dave
There is a ton of good search history from people that were in your shoes so I suggest you start there. The F's are all pretty much the same per model year with an exception of some Neiman Marcus models that came out in the beginning with a slightly different trim package. What I am saying is all the F's come with the exact same options - loaded.

Again, there is great info on this board and the majority of the guys like the 2010+ and above model years due to LSD and such over the earlier 08 - 09 models. You might also want to read up on the few inevitable maintenance failures these cars will have such as the valley pan leak and water pump.

Good luck in your search and you will be happy with your new to you DD when you find it.
This is exactly the kind of stuff that I'm talking about. Might explain the price gap that I'm seeing between the 09' and 10' I've definitely been pouring through the forum and will continue to do so - thank you for adding to it.

-asher
Old 08-30-17, 09:37 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I would stick with the 12+ if you have the money. You can find them anywhere between $30k-$44k depending on mileage.
Old 08-30-17, 09:56 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

There is probably a pretty simple algorithm for buying an F:

Will you highly mod? Buy 2008-2009
Will you lower/replace suspension? Buy 2010 to get LSD and new interior.
Do you want the cheapest model year with 95%+ of all the upgrades made to the F? Buy a 2011.
Do you want 99% of all the upgrades to the F? Buy 2012

To be honest, there is almost no reason to buy 2013/14 other than desire to have a car one model year newer and/or you like to waste money.
staticset (08-30-17)
Old 08-30-17, 10:36 AM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

This is a very helpful list of the year by year differences. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...reference.html

As noted above, there is a bit of a price gap between 9-10 due to the LSD update, and again from 10-11 due to the upgraded suspension, instrument cluster, and LED lights.

Good luck in your search!
staticset (08-30-17)
Old 08-30-17, 12:07 PM
staticset
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jz39
There is probably a pretty simple algorithm for buying an F:

Will you highly mod? Buy 2008-2009
Will you lower/replace suspension? Buy 2010 to get LSD and new interior.
Do you want the cheapest model year with 95%+ of all the upgrades made to the F? Buy a 2011.
Do you want 99% of all the upgrades to the F? Buy 2012

To be honest, there is almost no reason to buy 2013/14 other than desire to have a car one model year newer and/or you like to waste money.
Originally Posted by BLexodus
This is a very helpful list of the year by year differences. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...reference.html

As noted above, there is a bit of a price gap between 9-10 due to the LSD update, and again from 10-11 due to the upgraded suspension, instrument cluster, and LED lights.

Good luck in your search!
Guys thanks very much! I must have been searching the forums wrong because that's the first list I've seen like that... most helpful. From what I've learned so far this week (today especially) it looks like an '11 will be the way to go. I plan on keeping the car "mostly" stock since it'd be relegated to mostly daily and roadtrip duties... I will say that so far it seems overall the number available in good shape is a good sign of how these cars are treated in spite of them being thrashed on a good bit. Much easier to shop for compared to an Evo. You guys are great, thanks again!

-asher
Old 08-31-17, 06:41 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd rather go with something newer that was taken care of, low miles but I own a 2013 and that's just my opinion.
staticset (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 07:25 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice Evo, and best of luck with your search. I owned my ISF for 4 years and still miss it. Just got bored with the paddles after a while. It has to be one of the best all around cars for the money, and easily the most reliable car over 400hp. If I lived in an area that never snowed, I probably would've kept it...
staticset (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 08:25 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Other than yearly changes I think the only differences between models are the tech package. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but it includes the fancier ML sound system, the parking sensors in the front and rear, and radar cruise on the newer models. Also have headlight washers. Some don't have sunroofs. However, it's tough enough finding a clean ISF for sale, without even getting into what options/colors/years you want. I have no regrets picking up my loaded(all options I mentioned) 08 for a great price as a DD.
staticset (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 09:17 AM
breakeroh
Rookie

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

The upgrades started in 2010 with the LSD. Then for 2011 revised suspension, day-time running headlight swoosh like strip added to the headlights, Leather seats changed to Alcantara interior seats added, new center tachometer gauge with digital speed and shift lights.
2012 - got all red seats, red interior option. larger width wheels. rear set headrest can fold down for better visibility and can serve as a head rest positioning the rear passengers head more forward to gain more head room for comfort.
The 2013/14 has upgraded seats, the headrest has F logo on it. Black / red combination available for seats instead of the solid full red seats. Also I think the rear spoiler is in carbon fiber (trim or real), but for the most part same as 2012.
staticset (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 10:48 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

F logo on headrests and carbon fiber rear deck only on the 2014's. Only 86 of them in the country!!
staticset (09-01-17)
Old 08-31-17, 03:14 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by staticset
Thank you sir - it does seem to be the prevalent color for sure. I enjoy participating in circuit events on a regular basis and having to switch everything out from "normal use" to "track prep" is starting to get old. Brake pads, wheels/tires, exhaust, driver seat are changed every time. Also the lack of a dedicated roll cage limits me as to which kind of events/tracks I can take it on. I'd like to be able to drive at VIR, AMP, or Charlotte infield. Then there's the suspension like you brought up - if anyone here ever needs to pass a kidney stone just hit me up. I can't just swap that out with the stock stuff since I'd then have to break out the Smart Strings kit and align the thing every time. The cams can hardly keep the AC compressor turning at idle or in slow traffic... it's getting to be too much honestly.

This is exactly the kind of stuff that I'm talking about. Might explain the price gap that I'm seeing between the 09' and 10' I've definitely been pouring through the forum and will continue to do so - thank you for adding to it.

-asher
Oh yeah, good ol' cam'd pulleys...

Similarly, you can also check out well-maintained E9X M3 and C63 AMG, also good options depending on their conditions. If the M3 didn't have this many potential catastrophic failures, I'd buy that since it has the manual transmission and has a better handling all around.
Old 09-01-17, 12:41 AM
USB2011JAM
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by staticset
Guys thanks very much! I must have been searching the forums wrong because that's the first list I've seen like that... most helpful. From what I've learned so far this week (today especially) it looks like an '11 will be the way to go. I plan on keeping the car "mostly" stock since it'd be relegated to mostly daily and roadtrip duties... I will say that so far it seems overall the number available in good shape is a good sign of how these cars are treated in spite of them being thrashed on a good bit. Much easier to shop for compared to an Evo. You guys are great, thanks again!

-asher

Im thinking of selling my 2011. Let me know if you're interested.

USB with Alpine interior

-I'm second owner, 1st owner was local in WA state, bought new and serviced at same dealership I take it to, Lexus of Bellevue, car is still located in WA, always garaged since new.
-All records available.
-Car is completely stock and never been modified whatsoever, with the exception of window tint.
-Brakes are good about 10k on new rotors and pads, tires also have about 10k miles on them.
-No accidents, or issues
-Clean title of course.
-@60k miles, 60k mile service done with records at dealer.
-Interior is absolutely flawless, seats are like brand new
-exterior is a 9.8 out of 10, with only a few small rock chips, and i mean a few, & small.
-all 4 wheels are perfect, also included are a spare front and rear wheel
-have all the original manuals, both keys etc
-not sure on price yet, i know there isn't another one of these like it for sale with exception of a blue with black interior, but def will be in high 30k's...

Any other questions let me know.

staticset (09-01-17)

Quick Reply: My IS F search has begun!