IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What do ISF owners think of RCF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-17, 08:52 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by ImportISF
The E60 M5 & E63 M6 were pretty ugly, even though it has one of my favorite engines (reliability aside).
M5 has grown on me, and the M6 rear end. That front end though, woof lol.

But that S85 V10 motor has to be in the top 5 (non super car) sounding engines of all time. It's a thing of beauty above 5000rpms right as it starts screaming.

My dream is to swap the S85 into an E92 some day. Maybe my mid life crisis project.
The following users liked this post:
Quadrphnia (03-04-22)
Old 09-18-17, 09:08 PM
USB2011JAM
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
Why are you guys discussing M2 when the topic clearly asks "what do the ISF owners think of RCF"? Is M2 a code name for RCF thereafter at some point?
Because thats a common theme of a lot of posts on this forum in general, especially from those who don't own an ISF, and most likely never will. It usually ask a question that leads to then trashing the Lexus product on a Lexus forum. It's actually odd that people have time to spend on forums about something they appear to dislike, or talk about every reason it's is not worth the price, or something else is better etc etc.... correct me if I'm wrong but pretty sure that's a... TROLL?

I haven't spent one minute on a forum for something I don't own, plan to own, nor have a desire to own... very odd, but again, its very common specifically on the IS-F forum.
Old 09-18-17, 09:14 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Not only have I joined forums prior to owning said vehicle, I've purchased sets of wheels before I've bought a car also

Helps commit to the purchase lol.
Old 09-18-17, 09:27 PM
USB2011JAM
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
Not only have I joined forums prior to owning said vehicle, I've purchased sets of wheels before I've bought a car also

Helps commit to the purchase lol.

Maybe I should rephrase..... I have LOOKED at a forum prior to owning the vehicle, to do research, look at pictures, etc, but never spent time making post after post, or replying and arguing with the members, or even signing up to post....

...you know what i meant
Old 09-18-17, 10:32 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by USB2011JAM
Maybe I should rephrase..... I have LOOKED at a forum prior to owning the vehicle, to do research, look at pictures, etc, but never spent time making post after post, or replying and arguing with the members, or even signing up to post....

...you know what i meant
I know EXACTLY what you mean.....and agree 100%. Seems someone is trying to start a war between ISF and RCF owners....and they own neither car, not ever will (but can find hella deals on them all...&#128514!
Super rediculious!

V.
Old 09-18-17, 10:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

I complain mostly about cars I own, and occasionally about the direction manufacturers have chosen. But you'll never find me making comments on another board about something I don't own.
Old 09-18-17, 11:51 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Interesting read. Just read this thread from start to finish.

I'd actually considered the idea of moving to an RC F given prices are starting to come down here in the U.K. as well.

Thing is the IS F doesn't have the same strong resale value over here. Mine might get around £20k with all the mods I've added (probably cost me that amount or more!), but RC F starts around £35k.

Now with that extra £15k, I can do a lot to my IS F. We're talking RR-Racing supercharger kit, better LSD, set of Penske coilovers...... the result of which will be an absolute beast!

Yes it's still going to be a 9yr old car, yes it's still got a cheap feeling interior (still thinking about flocking the dash to see if that helps), but it's lighter, and looks better IMHO.

If I ever buy a GTR, it would be the R32 version. Same reasoning as it was the lightest and made the same power as the 33 and 34, but they were tuned to compensate for the extra weight to do so.

Cars generally are getting heavier when they should be doing the opposite. If you want toys, buy a luxury barge to glide around in. If you want a sports car, you don't need all these toys or driver aids! Less is most definitely more.

I'm sure the RC F can be improved, but I've already done lots of work on my IS F, and hitting the reset button plus borrowing another £10-15k to get one doesn't appeal to me.
Old 09-19-17, 09:24 AM
AlexSweISF
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PDP180180
Interesting read. Just read this thread from start to finish.

I'd actually considered the idea of moving to an RC F given prices are starting to come down here in the U.K. as well.

Thing is the IS F doesn't have the same strong resale value over here. Mine might get around £20k with all the mods I've added (probably cost me that amount or more!), but RC F starts around £35k.

Now with that extra £15k, I can do a lot to my IS F. We're talking RR-Racing supercharger kit, better LSD, set of Penske coilovers...... the result of which will be an absolute beast!

Yes it's still going to be a 9yr old car, yes it's still got a cheap feeling interior (still thinking about flocking the dash to see if that helps), but it's lighter, and looks better IMHO.

If I ever buy a GTR, it would be the R32 version. Same reasoning as it was the lightest and made the same power as the 33 and 34, but they were tuned to compensate for the extra weight to do so.

Cars generally are getting heavier when they should be doing the opposite. If you want toys, buy a luxury barge to glide around in. If you want a sports car, you don't need all these toys or driver aids! Less is most definitely more.

I'm sure the RC F can be improved, but I've already done lots of work on my IS F, and hitting the reset button plus borrowing another £10-15k to get one doesn't appeal to me.
Im still waiting on that dash mate
Old 09-19-17, 12:06 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

I've seen RC-Fs around town and I think they look great (I think the black or white colors are my choices). I like these cars for what they are. Great, comfortable, and reliable GT cars that you can have fun with on a back-road going 6/10ths.

I'll be honest, I would not mind owning one just to get the latest tech, those great looking seats, the HP bump, and the styling. If I wanted something to match the performance of an M4 or M2...I'd just get an M4 or M2...no?
Old 09-19-17, 01:20 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexSweISF
Im still waiting on that dash mate
Lol, patience mate, it's in the pipeline so to speak!
Old 09-19-17, 08:58 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

I like the styling of the RCF it's growing on me. Now in regards to what do ISF owner feel about RCF? I think it comes down to EXPECTATIONS. What do I mean by that? Well as an ISF owner and probably most ISF owner's we're looking forward to the RCF. We finally thought that Lexus would address 3 or 4 things of those areas that we as owner, vloggers, print media, youtuber etc, all thought would be addressed in this new F model car. And I'm not talking about the exterior of the car or the interior of the car what I'm talking about is Real Performance related issues tangible issues such as the #1 in the room the weight!

WEIGHT, When the ISF came out it was heavier than its Two Chief Rivals the M3 and the C63. Weight by far is the biggest enemy to anything that has sport in its name and additional weight did hurt the ISF performance initially in the beginning as well as not having a properly sorted out suspension. So we all thought that this would be address since it was so widely spoken about in the internet, print media, etc this was by far one of the biggest issues that most people spoke about. But instead of getting a lighter vehicle we got a heavier car in than ISF ? Let down #1.

POWER, with the RCF coming out right in the middle of the current power Wars in order for Lexus to stay competitive they would have to really bump the power up with everything being in that 500 horsepower area. In order to stay competitive there would need to be significant increase in power especially with its two Rivals now both being forced induction and everyone knowing new next gen M4 car would be turbo charged. Had RCF been around 3700lb mark with 467 horsepower that would have been adequate but 467hp on 4000lb car with tq still below 400 was not enough. In order for the RCF stay competitive being N/A it would have to be 500hp and low 400tq range to carry that amount of mass. So for many that too was also a no go. Let down #2.

CHASSIS & SUSPENSION the reason why I'm mentioning chassis is because to be honest it's a Frankenstein chassis yes it does work and it does a damn good job but because of this chassis it adds weight. In my opinion I believe Lexus did this in order to save cash. It's much easier to combine three existing chassis then to create and build one from scratch your R&D cost and retooling cost are cut in half or more. Had the RCF been given lightweight carbon fiber chassis or combination of other lightweight materials that would have greatly reduced the weight but at the same time given it strength. The suspension components were not up to par initially with RCF as they were with the first ISF when it first came out as well. Thankfully lexus has corrected that problem on the RCF and now it has adaptive suspension components still not on par with competition with the ability to adjust it to your particular needs but it's a start.
Let down #3

Expectation Lexus touted the RCF Coupe as the one to take it to its German rivals not necessarily to beat them but to truly give them a competitive run unfortunately that wasn't to be. So our expectations of the RCF were not what we all thought and hoped for. And that expectation might be solely put on the shoulders of ISF owners and media in general who were all hoping for one thing but were presented with something totally different. I will give it to Lexus they continue to march to the beat of Their Own Drums and do things their way.

The RCF is a great car there's no doubt in my mind I've driven it more than once I like the way it handles, I like the interior. Lexus built RCF the way they wanted which is executive GT sporty car we on the other hand we're looking for more of our true sports car and and there's a huge difference between a 4000 lb GT car and a 3600 pounds sports car.

And to finish this cuz it's long if you look at the ISF and RCF these two cars are so close in their performance numbers. Whereas the old E90 M cars versus the new f80M cars the performance between those two are night and day the same goes for the C63 therein lies one of the big differences between the Lexus cars and its competitors. The RCF was a evolution not a revolution between it and it's big older brother ISF.

Last edited by Weapon F; 09-19-17 at 09:12 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Weapon F:
bakalag (03-29-22), bnizzle87 (09-19-17), BS ISF (09-20-17), Helo58 (09-20-17), lobuxracer (09-19-17), MileHIFcar (09-19-17) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-20-17, 08:36 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 1,416 Likes on 649 Posts

I think that out of the box the ISF handles better due to the rear coilovers vs. divorced springs setup in the RCF, as well as the extra weight.

That said, the interior in the RCF is a big step up from the ISF. I have spent a lot of time in both cars and the RCF is such a great GT cruiser, it really fills that role well.

and having said that... we are comparing apples and oranges, because ISF is a 4 door sedan, so if need that practicality, then an RCF is not for you anyway.

The biggest selling point for the RCF right now is that it is a fast, dependable car, and it is a much better value than its competitors... I see low mileage examples in the mid-40's, which is a real bargain for the quality and features. RCF is a keeper kind of car, unlike the c63 and M4, which I wouldn't touch once the factory warranty runs out.

BTW, here is a great comparo of the RCF vs. M4 -- with all the performance advantages of the M4, in the end the track times were within 0.3sec of each other!

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus...-f-comparison/

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 03-04-22, 08:48 AM
Shognethix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan
$30s for RCF......but at the same time you got people paying upper $30s and low $40s for ISF.....and some dealers trying to push 13-14s for $45+
Well yea, theres only 86 2014 ISF's (could just be the US, but still) that's extremely rare.