IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Did any one consider purchasing the CTS-V before buying the ISF??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-17, 01:13 AM
awdson
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did any one consider purchasing the CTS-V before buying the ISF??

So I am in the market for a new car, and was strongly considering the ISF. After checking out a bunch this last month and not finding anything up to my standards I started researching other cars. I found the 09-13 CTS-v is around the same price range as the ISF but seems like ALOT more car.

I know this is a Lexus forum so there will be some bias but I'm just curious as to why you opted for the ISF over the super charged RWD 560 HP CTS. I'm torn between power and reliability, but I'm sure the Cadillac is pretty reliable as well considering it's basically a corvette in a Cadillac body.

My last car was an 09 GTR and I had to get rid of it due to the trans taking a *****, considering it only had 15,000 miles on it when the trans went out I want to make sure I get the right car power wise, reliability wise and most importantly aesthetically pleasing. I would like to hear every body's opinions.

Cheers.
Old 09-28-17, 03:00 AM
AZLexicon
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My neighbor had a 2014 CTS-V coupe and it was a nice car but the cost of maintenance was ridicules. He ended up trading it for a 2014 Audi R8 and it cost less to service than the Cadi
Old 09-28-17, 03:39 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Stock for stock, the ctsv sedan and isf are equal as far as 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. The V sedan is super heavy.
If modding is your thing, the V gives you many more options tuning wise though.
And short answer, no, the V will not compare maintenance/reliability wise to a comparable year/mileage F.

V.
Old 09-28-17, 04:11 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Stock for stock, the ctsv sedan and isf are equal as far as 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. The V sedan is super heavy.
If modding is your thing, the V gives you many more options tuning wise though.
And short answer, no, the V will not compare maintenance/reliability wise to a comparable year/mileage F.

V.
I looked at them and this is why I got the Lexus.
Old 09-28-17, 05:28 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Why don't you look at an 09 E63? You can pick one up dirt cheap
Old 09-28-17, 05:44 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

No Bluetooth all the way up to the 2014 models on the CTSV also.....a bit disappointing. No reason any vehicle after 2010 shouldn't have Bluetooth, lol. But again all depends on what you're getting the car for. I rarely use the Bluetooth in my F....but still at least I have the option to use it when I want. Sometimes the little things matter.

V.
Old 09-28-17, 06:32 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did. The low cost of maintenance,build quality, and reliability of IS-F overrode the performance advantage CTS-V for me since this was to be my daily driver. If it was just a weekend car, I might have made a different choice. Was also considering a M3/5 as well.
Old 09-28-17, 07:29 AM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I owned a very low mileage 6spd 2009 CTSv that I did a bunch of work to and at the end of the day there were just a couple of things that didn't do it for me, I realized I only like having a manual in certain cars, like my 66 mustang, and not may daily. Also, the looks just never really grew on me, I thought I would grow to like the sharp edges and it never happened. I felt the inside plastics were cheap and I did have some rattles from the dash that were annoying. Lastly, it was stupid loud and just was obnoxious, I'm all for loud but every start up, every light sounds like you're ready to race
* edit, one annoying thing was on the 2009/10 , no backup camera, you had to add on your own, but the 11's had it from the factory.

The positives, AC recaro seats, LOVED them and they were very comfortable, even on the 17+hr drive back from Houston where I purchased it to IL. Parts were pretty cheap, but readily available and plenty of mod capabilities given it being boosted. ( I did full headers, exhaust, pulley, zl1 lid, larger water cooler, injectors and e85, and the car made 620rwhp, it was quick!

My 08' F, I absolutely love! It's much more appropriate for me as a daily and it's pretty much stock. I think if I put exhaust on it, that may make it less enjoyable for me to drive as I think the stock exhaust note is exotic and just right. I do have another car for the mods budget so the F will likely stay stock but my opinion is the car is much tighter, refined and enjoyable to drive.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Last edited by quikturbo; 09-28-17 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-28-17, 08:53 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by AZLexicon
My neighbor had a 2014 CTS-V coupe and it was a nice car but the cost of maintenance was ridicules. He ended up trading it for a 2014 Audi R8 and it cost less to service than the Cadi
Now that is interesting. I have been seeing a lot more used Audi R8s running around as their prices are coming down to being affordable for people in the upper-middle class. I did not know that its service costs are less than Caddy's.

Time to start sourcing a R8....
Old 09-28-17, 09:26 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by AZLexicon
I doubt you will find an R8 for the price of a CTS-V.
Old 09-28-17, 11:01 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I considered one when I was over my E92 but still wanted a V8 powered sedan(considered a CTSV, RS4, and ISF). Not too many options so that was one of them I looked at, mod and power potential, but they have their issues as well. So I chose to come back to Lexus and got an ISF
Old 09-28-17, 12:24 PM
awdson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Why don't you look at an 09 E63? You can pick one up dirt cheap
Because Mercedes that's why.
Old 09-28-17, 12:32 PM
awdson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by quikturbo
I owned a very low mileage 6spd 2009 CTSv that I did a bunch of work to and at the end of the day there were just a couple of things that didn't do it for me, I realized I only like having a manual in certain cars, like my 66 mustang, and not may daily. Also, the looks just never really grew on me, I thought I would grow to like the sharp edges and it never happened. I felt the inside plastics were cheap and I did have some rattles from the dash that were annoying. Lastly, it was stupid loud and just was obnoxious, I'm all for loud but every start up, every light sounds like you're ready to race
* edit, one annoying thing was on the 2009/10 , no backup camera, you had to add on your own, but the 11's had it from the factory.

The positives, AC recaro seats, LOVED them and they were very comfortable, even on the 17+hr drive back from Houston where I purchased it to IL. Parts were pretty cheap, but readily available and plenty of mod capabilities given it being boosted. ( I did full headers, exhaust, pulley, zl1 lid, larger water cooler, injectors and e85, and the car made 620rwhp, it was quick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=5Z_AniIT3nI

My 08' F, I absolutely love! It's much more appropriate for me as a daily and it's pretty much stock. I think if I put exhaust on it, that may make it less enjoyable for me to drive as I think the stock exhaust note is exotic and just right. I do have another car for the mods budget so the F will likely stay stock but my opinion is the car is much tighter, refined and enjoyable to drive.

Hope that helps.

Chris
Very nice! Looks clean, Thanks for the input.
Old 09-28-17, 12:35 PM
awdson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NSXGuy
I did. The low cost of maintenance,build quality, and reliability of IS-F overrode the performance advantage CTS-V for me since this was to be my daily driver. If it was just a weekend car, I might have made a different choice. Was also considering a M3/5 as well.
Did you drive the Caddy?
Old 09-28-17, 03:48 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
Now that is interesting. I have been seeing a lot more used Audi R8s running around as their prices are coming down to being affordable for people in the upper-middle class. I did not know that its service costs are less than Caddy's.

Time to start sourcing a R8....
Yup, V8’s can be had in the 60’s. V10’s nearly dipping into the 70’s.

Once i relocate the wife into my F, acquire M car, the R8 is my planned third vehicle in a few more years. Likely a V10 since I assume prices will be down into the 60’s by then.

Plus us with a gated 6MT, one less thing to worry about maintaining.

Quick Reply: Did any one consider purchasing the CTS-V before buying the ISF??