IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Alignment Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17, 01:34 PM
john09ISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alignment Advice

I recently had Figs LCA bushings installed on my 2009 ISF and this week replaced my worn Michelin Super Sports with some new Pilot Sport 4S's. The only other mod I have is KWs. I have them close to their max height, which I think is about a 1" drop from stock. The KWs have been on the car for several years.

I am looking for some advice on my alignment. The attached sheet shows the alignment as it is now. They didn't do anything so only the BEFORE column is relevant. Should I get the SPC front & back camber kits, or are there other options I should be considering?

I can't find the last alignment sheet from over a year ago, but I believe the front left & right camber were off by the same amount last time. I don't know why the left is so far off now.

The car drives perfectly straight and I don't track my car. I just want to get as much life as possible from my tires.
Attached Thumbnails Alignment Advice-2009_isf_alignment_sept2017_.png  

Last edited by john09ISF; 09-29-17 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-29-17, 06:31 PM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

don't know if it's any help to your situation, but the uneven camber is usually due to a subframe misalignment... but that's with a stock suspension setup from what i know... in my situation, i believe my uneven camber was due to the subframe bolt not tightened to spec... double check to make sure the long LCA bolt that bolts through the subframe is torqued to 150 lb-ft... there is a thread about this discussion in my other thread

since you are lowered though, you probably could use a camber adjustment kit that figs offers for the front camber issue

but that toe-out is going to wear out that inside edge of the tire up front pretty quick and the toe-in in the rear the outside edge... could they not adjust the toe for you?

Maybe someone with a dropped suspension can chime in
Old 09-29-17, 06:53 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I have the Figs mega arms and toe links along with the megan upper link for the rear. Front I just got spc ball joints installed and already had the RR USRS. The front after the spc ball joints was easily corrected from 2.4* to stock spec range, think I'm at 1.4* front now. The rears I have all the adjustability I want but I'm fairly low running a mildly aggressive offset with wider tire so I run a fair amount of camber (3*). If I had a different offset rear wheel I could easily dial out my camber to closer to stock. If you want more life out of your tires you'd probably want to clean up your toe for sure but camber numbers you'd need something for adjustment like the figs mega arms or spc ball joints.
Old 09-30-17, 09:13 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Liquidtek. Get your toe dialed in and then add some Figs arms in the rear for a more prices alignment.

Start with zero toe in the front and make sure the alignment tech understands the relationship between all of the arms in the rear. The rear arms are very dynamic with regards to toe and camber.
Old 09-30-17, 10:10 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts

What tech would leave it that way??? Have you ever followed it down the road? The rear toe and thrust angle could make it dart a bit on bumps. Baseline would be to zero the rear toe and maybe toe the nose in 0.03° and watch it. If you ride around single your weight could easily balance the rear camber out. The front left you may want to balance it.

Before you drop coin on painted adjustable links, rockauto is supplying them now too.
Old 10-01-17, 06:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Originally Posted by john09ISF
I recently had Figs LCA bushings installed on my 2009 ISF and this week replaced my worn Michelin Super Sports with some new Pilot Sport 4S's. The only other mod I have is KWs. I have them close to their max height, which I think is about a 1" drop from stock. The KWs have been on the car for several years.

I am looking for some advice on my alignment. The attached sheet shows the alignment as it is now. They didn't do anything so only the BEFORE column is relevant. Should I get the SPC front & back camber kits, or are there other options I should be considering?

I can't find the last alignment sheet from over a year ago, but I believe the front left & right camber were off by the same amount last time. I don't know why the left is so far off now.

The car drives perfectly straight and I don't track my car. I just want to get as much life as possible from my tires.
And this is exactly why "feels good" means nothing. Your alignment is awful. It might steer straight, and it might feel good, but it isn't by a long shot. You'd be stunned by the difference if you got proper toe in at the rear and less toe out at the front.
Old 10-02-17, 12:08 AM
john09ISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found an alignment shop that has a lot of experience with lowered cars. I am going tomorrow (Monday) morning. They will do what they can with the available adjustments and I will get their thoughts on the camber kits options.

The Figs options for the rear look solid, but I'm not sure about those SPC ball joints on the front. Are those ball joints adding a weak point in the front suspension that is worst that the camber problem we are trying to fix?
Old 08-14-20, 06:04 PM
ameliorate
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by liquidtek
I have the Figs mega arms and toe links along with the megan upper link for the rear. Front I just got spc ball joints installed and already had the RR USRS. The front after the spc ball joints was easily corrected from 2.4* to stock spec range, think I'm at 1.4* front now. The rears I have all the adjustability I want but I'm fairly low running a mildly aggressive offset with wider tire so I run a fair amount of camber (3*). If I had a different offset rear wheel I could easily dial out my camber to closer to stock. If you want more life out of your tires you'd probably want to clean up your toe for sure but camber numbers you'd need something for adjustment like the figs mega arms or spc ball joints.
Hi, how low had you dropped the car with 2.4 camber on the front?
I’m trying to drop mine 2” but also need to get back to factory camber tolerances to be road legal. I don’t want to shell out on adjustables and camber correct kits only to find it can’t be done. How did you find the spc ball joints?