IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Please help! Looking for EU spec ISF mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-17, 11:17 AM
chriso5573
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Please help! Looking for EU spec ISF mirrors

I had convex mirrors (also called aspheric mirrors or EU spec mirrors) on my '07 IS 250 and LOOVE them. I've also got some on the wife's '14 GS350. Eliminated all my blind spots and I could see EVERYTHING. I need to get my hands on a set of european spec mirrors now for my ISF and the guy I usually have source them tells me that european ISFs came with the same tall mirror housings as the is250 and is350 so they are not the same shape as US spec ISF mirrors. Can anyone confirm this? I'm desperate to get a set of these mirrors. For those of you looking for these mirrors on any other model, you can get these through the ebay seller "4dprint.lv" in Lithuania (how I got my previous sets). Attached is a picture so you can see what they look like.

Maybe if I can get a VIN for a EU spec ISF I'd be able to order the part through my local dealer.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails Please help! Looking for EU spec ISF mirrors-mirror.png  
Old 10-03-17, 02:46 PM
GermanF
Rookie

Received 88 Likes on 28 Posts

Check your PM's 👍
Old 10-03-17, 07:05 PM
fivesevenn
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

since you had them on your is and gs, i had euro spec mirrors on my supra, i could see all my blindspots ect, but it was actually meant for rhd so at times it was hard to see. just a heads up but i think you already know how they are.
Old 10-03-17, 10:22 PM
chriso5573
Driver

Maybe yours were different. The ones I had on my IS and my wife's GS were the same exact magnification/everything on both sides so was easier to see. Having the auto tint equipped glass helps too, even if the car isn't equipped with the feature.

I apologize for the horrible quality of these pictures but I hope this gives you guys an idea as to the differences between the regular IS250/IS350 and the ISF mirror dimensions. I'm hoping these measurements are able to help me get answers as to what size the European spec ISF mirrors are. The differences are night and day when looking at the height of the housings.

Approx Housing Measurements

ISF Mirror (Silver in images)
8.5" Wide
5.25" Tall

IS250 Mirror (Black in images)
8.25" Wide
6" Tall
Attached Thumbnails Please help! Looking for EU spec ISF mirrors-unnamed-2.jpg   Please help! Looking for EU spec ISF mirrors-unnamed-4.jpg   Please help! Looking for EU spec ISF mirrors-unnamed-5.jpg   Please help! Looking for EU spec ISF mirrors-unnamed.jpg  
Old 11-19-17, 04:26 AM
mthornto88
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where you able to find any? I am interested in a pair as well.
Old 11-19-17, 03:03 PM
chriso5573
Driver

I spoke with dealerships in the US and the UK and the mirrors are in fact the same dimensions as the IS250/350. So there are no Aspherical ISF mirrors for the size of our US spec mirrors. If you really want EU spec mirrors you can get them on eBay for around $150 shopped from Lithuania. You just need to also buy new mirror housings off an IS250/350 with auto tilt . Hope this helps!
Old 06-13-20, 01:41 AM
Arein
Rookie

I have an ISF made for the US and the mirrors are the ****tiest mirrors ever. With the doors so bulged up, and the mirrors sitting on the doors, half of the mirror is the door bulge. I can't see anything in the mirror, have to constantly turn my head when lane switching.
Old 06-14-20, 11:32 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,066 Likes on 2,463 Posts

Read/Watch. Learn. Just do it. There's nothing wrong with the mirrors.

Read here: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-blind-spots/

Watch here:

The following 4 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
Arein (06-15-20), kartoos100 (06-16-20), tronim (10-06-22), WhyHateTho (06-14-20)
Old 06-15-20, 05:32 PM
Arein
Rookie

I have to try it like that, wonder if it will feel comfortable/natural for me. I am used to seeing the rear of the car in the mirror. When driving other cars with convex mirrors - I can see the rear end of the car, the blind spots, it's nicer than the flat mirrors for sure.
But maybe I am also doing it wrong with the flat mirrors, thank you for the video.
Old 06-16-20, 04:45 AM
kartoos100
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Read/Watch. Learn. Just do it. There's nothing wrong with the mirrors.

Read here: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-blind-spots/

Watch here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkQX2gkwJoE
I saw a similar video years ago and made the change. It take only a few days to get used to but it is a game changer. I cannot understand how I could have driven that many years with such a large blindspot.
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (06-17-20)
Old 01-14-21, 07:04 AM
AlOtaBblGm
Pole Position

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Arein
I have an ISF made for the US and the mirrors are the ****tiest mirrors ever. With the doors so bulged up, and the mirrors sitting on the doors, half of the mirror is the door bulge. I can't see anything in the mirror, have to constantly turn my head when lane switching.
It takes some getting used to but I always set my mirrors so that from my driving position I can see the left and right blind spots which means I cannot see the side of the car. I use the rear view mirror so see if anyone is coming up fast or just behind the blind spot, then I look at the side mirror before changing lanes. If I get nervous, I just lean a little towards that mirror and it sweeps the side of the car for a complete view.
lobuxracer (01-14-21)
Old 06-23-22, 06:54 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 780 Likes on 483 Posts

I didn't even know this was a thing with Lexus....

I just finally sourced and received EU power folding mirrors for my 2020 RCF and the FIRST thing I noticed was that the glass on the edge with the vertical dotted lines was different from my mirror.

Upon looking at it, I was like this is convex it seems like!? Totally AWESOME! I have the same type of JDM mirror on my STi and it's soooooooooooo much nicer. I wonder why Lexus did NOT use this glass on USA models?? I see fords with the very edge of the mirror for a blind spot area.

Anyways, here's a picture of my mirror. It has that dotted line just like the one the OP posted.

I'm installed these tomorrow so I hope everything works. To my knowledge I'm the only person in the USA that has attempted/doing power folding mirrors on the RCF platform.

-Nigel
Old 06-27-22, 03:51 AM
Arein
Rookie

>I wonder why Lexus did NOT use this glass on USA models?? I see fords with the very edge of the mirror for a blind spot area.

My undocumented assumption is that someone made an accident and blamed it on the fact that convex mirrors show distance different than flat mirrors and all the manufacturers had to switch to flat mirrors to not get sued.
lobuxracer (06-27-22)
Old 06-27-22, 11:56 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,066 Likes on 2,463 Posts

That's a pretty safe bet. Lawyers for conservative companies are awesome at killing innovation in countries where the legal system is all screwed up the way it is in the US.

FWIW, I would likely find that annoying. I have my mirrors adjusted for no overlap, so I have no blind spots at all.
Old 06-27-22, 02:26 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 780 Likes on 483 Posts

Yea that sounds about right.
It's a shame that lawyers seem to ruin everything because of the select few that don't use their brains..lol

I never had issues with my stock mirrors on any cars, but I will say I much prefer the convex mirrors. I love them on my STi. It's so nice to be able to see a much wider viewing angle of the vehicle. The way the mirrors are now I can actually angle them out further than before, and still see the side of my car but almost double from outside of the normal area past the car. A huge improvement. Really like this! A shame that this couldn't have been spec'ed out as an option if one would prefer this type over the normal flat glass.

Oh well, I'm quite happy :-)

I'll update with a couple pictures if people are interested in seeing the difference. When I get home tonight I'll attach them. I wish I would have kept the garage door down in one of the pictures but you can still see a difference on viewing angle. It's neat!

Normal glass. I should have had the garage door shut for this picture but you can kind of see the post in the back of the mirror to the left.

This is the EU mirror assembly with convex glass.

Passenger side normal glass.

Wide angle glass.

-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 06-27-22 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Please help! Looking for EU spec ISF mirrors