IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Transmission in auto mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-17, 01:26 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Transmission in auto mode

Curious if anyone else encounters this......

I could be driving on a nice straight bit of road (auto mode), doing about 80km/hr and decide to floor it (hard acceleration). The transmission will kick down from 8th to about 5-6th gear and then a second or so later kick down again to 3-4th gear. More so in normal auto mode but sometimes even in sport+ mode. Its like it accelerates in 2 stages.

This generally happens on the first hard acceleration when i drive the car. If i do the same thing moments later, it will kick down from 8th to about 3rd gear.

Of course in Manual / paddle mode this doesnt exist but if i need to accelerate hard from 8th gear, i find it quicker to mash the pedal in auto mode, it kicks down to a low gear and then i can flick over sports + vs trying to manual flicking down 5 gears or is there a better sequence of doing things.
Old 10-11-17, 02:28 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Are you pushing the pedal hard enough down to activate the button under the pedal floor? Is your car fully warmed up and the trans warm?
Old 10-11-17, 03:11 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joker4096
Are you pushing the pedal hard enough down to activate the button under the pedal floor? Is your car fully warmed up and the trans warm?
Car is definitely warmed up, never push it when cold.

Im reasonably certain its floored all the way. What makes me think it is, is that it downgear to a lower gear but in 2 stages. I figured if it wasnt floored all the way, it would downshift say from 8 to 5 but thats it whereas it can go from 8th to about 5 and then to 3 if i keep it depressed all the way.

Although i do the same thing minutes later and it will go all the way from 8 to 3rd gear etc.

So i take it your ISF doesnt do this? Next time ill definitely make sure i mash the pedal to be sure
Old 10-11-17, 05:32 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Originally Posted by ISF5L
Car is definitely warmed up, never push it when cold.

Im reasonably certain its floored all the way. What makes me think it is, is that it downgear to a lower gear but in 2 stages. I figured if it wasnt floored all the way, it would downshift say from 8 to 5 but thats it whereas it can go from 8th to about 5 and then to 3 if i keep it depressed all the way.

Although i do the same thing minutes later and it will go all the way from 8 to 3rd gear etc.

So i take it your ISF doesnt do this? Next time ill definitely make sure i mash the pedal to be sure
This happened to me one time, the car wasn't fully warm, in auto, sport, and the trans was still not fully warmed up. It takes forever to warm up the trans fluid. I usually don't floor it too often so I can't be certain that it does the 2 step down shifts. Whenever I usually do, I think it drops to the lowest gear possible. Like I said, if you don't make sure that little button is pushed down, it won't drop all the way down right away.
Old 10-11-17, 07:11 PM
ZDCATC
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I remember reading on this forum that the transmission computer learns your driving habits. In my experience (in sport and automatic mode) if, after the car is warmed up, you drive around like an ******* for about 5-10 minutes the transmission will downshift quicker and skip more gears during the downshift when you press the accelerator, skip more gears and blip the throttle during quick deceleration, and keep the RPMs high while lightly accelerating (in other word it holds the gears longer because it's anticipating you mashing the throttle at any moment and needing torque).

I imagine it acts the same in normal mode. It will probably do a two stage downshift the first time you go full throttle, so 8-6-3 or whatever. But if you mash the throttle a few times in normal mode, I imagine the computer will "get the hint" and downshift more aggressively (like from 8-3 at full throttle).

In other words ISF5L, what you experienced is normal.

Check out this pdf
aa80e.pdf
The following users liked this post:
ISF5L (10-12-17)
Old 10-11-17, 07:54 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 114 Posts

There is a sensor under the throttle pedal and if you don't push the pedal hard enough it wont engage the lowest gear possible, have a look, there is a tread on here somewhere about pulling the spring out and making it softer cheers.
ISF5L (10-12-17)
Old 10-12-17, 05:43 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

I tested this today and my car definitely dropped from 8 to 3 at about 50 mph. Auto mode with VSC/TRAC off.

Edit: I also made sure the sensor under the pedal was engaged.
Old 10-12-17, 07:15 AM
jwgorrie
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I experience this as well, sometimes it’s 8-3 other times 8-5-3

I also find in 7th it’ll drop 7-4-2 at some speeds where as at some speeds it’s 7-2 instantly. On the motorway at 70mph it’ll drop from 8th right down to 3rd fast.

Maybe its speed dependant? Dunno, it’s a bit annoying sometimes.

Could it be fluid levels?
ISF5L (10-12-17)
Old 10-12-17, 08:39 AM
ISFTOMMY
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
I tested this today and my car definitely dropped from 8 to 3 at about 50 mph. Auto mode with VSC/TRAC off.

Edit: I also made sure the sensor under the pedal was engaged.
how did you get vsc/trac off over 30mph!?!?! mine turns its self back on after i go over 30mph!
Old 10-12-17, 09:13 AM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by thedude23
how did you get vsc/trac off over 30mph!?!?! mine turns its self back on after i go over 30mph!
Old 10-12-17, 10:17 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Just hold the button for about 3 seconds until both lights turn on. This turns off everything except the e lsd. I have a 08.
Old 10-12-17, 10:43 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by thedude23
your only turning off the traction control if you hold for 3 sec holds it longer and the full system is off and you'll see 2 lights on the dash vsc, trac off . Now you're in Hoonigan mode and
Old 10-12-17, 12:40 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jwgorrie
I experience this as well, sometimes it’s 8-3 other times 8-5-3

I also find in 7th it’ll drop 7-4-2 at some speeds where as at some speeds it’s 7-2 instantly. On the motorway at 70mph it’ll drop from 8th right down to 3rd fast.

Maybe its speed dependant? Dunno, it’s a bit annoying sometimes.

Could it be fluid levels?
What you say is exactly what i experience. After reading some of the comments i tried again yesterday and mashed the pedal, first go it went from 8 to 3 lol.

My fluid levels are good as just got serviced few days ago.

What i was surprised about and never really paid attention but this morning, similar situation, i mashed the pedal hard and it went from 7 to 2 which is what i wanted however i saw the gear change to 2, the number 2 displayed on the dash but it was a good second or so (delay) before it acted like it was 2nd gear. i.e. It went instantly from 7 to 2, pedal still floored but nothing happened for a second or so and then it accelerated. Mind you only explanation i have that comes to mind was that it was normal not sports mode.

So this time, the transmission changed how i wanted it so the pedal did its thing, it just didnt accelerate instantly. Its like the engine had to catch up with the transmission or something like that. Maybe im being too picky lol
Old 10-12-17, 03:03 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 114 Posts

Have you had your car tuned if not get the RR tune, ^^^^ mine was the same small pause before kicking down, after tune very fast kick down ( I wish I had gone RR just for the 7200 redline and it is cheaper than OZ tune )
Old 10-12-17, 03:22 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Originally Posted by isfvss
Have you had your car tuned if not get the RR tune, ^^^^ mine was the same small pause before kicking down, after tune very fast kick down ( I wish I had gone RR just for the 7200 redline and it is cheaper than OZ tune )
Ive only had the tune from Sonny. Didnt know you got the RR tune after Sonny. So how do you find it, that much better???

Saw few more Sydney tuners but they do lack the experience vs the tuners in the US like RR.

Quick Reply: Transmission in auto mode