IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

LAG when mashing the gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-17, 11:01 PM
FlexedLEX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LAG when mashing the gas

is it normal for ISF’s to experience a slight delay when in the regular Drive mode?

in sport mode it’s a bit more responsive, but i never expected the throttle response and transmission to take that long to start doing work when merging on these freeways.
Old 12-13-17, 08:10 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by FlexedLEX
is it normal for ISF’s to experience a slight delay when in the regular Drive mode?

in sport mode it’s a bit more responsive, but i never expected the throttle response and transmission to take that long to start doing work when merging on these freeways.
Not sure about delay, but there is less throttle response when you apply throttle in regular mode versus sports mode.

If you experience delay in throttle response as in the car hesitated to move, it is not normal.
Old 12-13-17, 08:59 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Perhaps you aren't activating the kick down switch? There's a button behind the gas pedal that, if pushed, will give you the most aggressive downshift known to man. No joke.
The following users liked this post:
Bigjon3475 (06-21-18)
Old 12-13-17, 10:15 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Idk about lag but the of course in regular drive its a lot less responsive than in sport mode. Its hard for me to really even drive the car in normal cause I ususally always have it in sport mode cause I love the response. I wish the ISF was like the E92 where you could set the car in sport mode 100% of the time vs having to push the button every start up
Old 12-13-17, 01:16 PM
empathy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

like all automatics, it takes time to downshift. it downshifts slower in non-sport mode as well.
Old 12-13-17, 08:13 PM
FlexedLEX
Rookie

Originally Posted by empathy
like all automatics, it takes time to downshift. it downshifts slower in non-sport mode as well.
How ignorant of me. My last 3 vehicles were all manual transmission.
Now it makes sense.
Old 06-21-18, 02:01 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

APEXi sells a product the does exactly what your looking for ..

SMART Accel Controller Harness, 2014+ Lexus IS350
Old 06-21-18, 06:55 PM
cleethree
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The flappy paddles are the way to go.
Old 06-23-18, 07:09 PM
B0077144
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate that too about the ISF, it's exactly the same as turbo lag...anoying!!! It's mostly because the tranny has 8 speed. The best is to drop at least 2 gear, to get really moving!!
Old 06-23-18, 08:28 PM
B0077144
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
APEXi sells a product the does exactly what your looking for ..

SMART Accel Controller Harness, 2014+ Lexus IS350
Thanks, I just ordered one form Amazon!!
Old 06-24-18, 07:21 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

It’s called gear hunting. Something automatics do when demanding full power when you’re in an overdrive gear. I would say it’s almost a big negative with a car of this performance level. Drive any year BMW I don’t care what it is. You floor it and hit the” kick down switch”(button under the gas pedal) and it’s an immediate downshift into the lowest gear possible right away. I get the same response from my Audi as well. But merging or suddenly needing full power. The ISF has to think about it for 2-3 seconds before it decided to do something. I would say that’s where my previous C63 never had a problem, even in comfort mode.
Old 06-25-18, 09:03 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by B0077144

I hate that too about the ISF, it's exactly the same as turbo lag...anoying!!! It's mostly because the tranny has 8 speed. The best is to drop at least 2 gear, to get really moving!!
Not quite the same but I get what you mean
Originally Posted by CometVR4

It’s called gear hunting. Something automatics do when demanding full power when you’re in an overdrive gear. I would say it’s almost a big negative with a car of this performance level. Drive any year BMW I don’t care what it is. You floor it and hit the” kick down switch”(button under the gas pedal) and it’s an immediate downshift into the lowest gear possible right away. I get the same response from my Audi as well. But merging or suddenly needing full power. The ISF has to think about it for 2-3 seconds before it decided to do something. I would say that’s where my previous C63 never had a problem, even in comfort mode.
Even in my old E92 M3 with DCT the downshift wasn't instantaneous but it was a lot faster than the ISF. But that car had dual clutches so its apples to oranges, and they could get trans reflashes too
Old 06-25-18, 02:10 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,517 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Humor us and do a little experiment.
Ignition ON, engine OFF, swiftly press the gas pedal to the floor 3x and let it snap up.
Now, press the pedal to the floor smoothly and evenly taking about 8 sec to reach the floor pressing at a fixed consistent rate. Let off at the same rate. Repeat this twice.
Turn the ignition off.
Go test drive.
Also, when is the last time the battery was disconnected?
Old 06-25-18, 05:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Humor us and do a little experiment.
Ignition ON, engine OFF, swiftly press the gas pedal to the floor 3x and let it snap up.
Now, press the pedal to the floor smoothly and evenly taking about 8 sec to reach the floor pressing at a fixed consistent rate. Let off at the same rate. Repeat this twice.
Turn the ignition off.
Go test drive.
Also, when is the last time the battery was disconnected?
The TCU never resets without a command from Techstream. The service manual is very clear on this - disconnecting the battery does nothing to change the learned values in the TCU. Not sure where you found the hack, but it's not in the service manual.
Old 06-25-18, 09:36 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
Not quite the same but I get what you mean

Even in my old E92 M3 with DCT the downshift wasn't instantaneous but it was a lot faster than the ISF. But that car had dual clutches so its apples to oranges, and they could get trans reflashes too

My Q7 is faster to downshift than the ISF.
Sometimes the ISF gets it right the first time and other times it just gear hunts more than it should.

Quick Reply: LAG when mashing the gas