IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Fair price for 08 USB ISF?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-17, 01:08 PM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fair price for 08 USB ISF?

So ive been on the lookout for a clean USB ISF and came across what looks like a very clean 2008 USB ISF, 68k miles one owner car with a nice service history, looks well maintained and garage kept, car has the alpine white interior which I like a lot, not sure if that changes value over the black or not, seems like the USB cars bring more money than any other color though and anything ive seen priced sub 25k tends to be beat up garbage.

What would you guys think a fair price to pay for this car is? It is from a dealer as well so factor that in.

I want the car but dont want to feel like im buying something thats going to be worth 10k less than what I paid in 2 years.

Last edited by sc3dreamin; 12-22-17 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-22-17, 02:14 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Whatever you're willing to pay for whatever condition it's in. Price is subjective. Value is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 12-22-17, 02:39 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Whats the mileage?
Old 12-22-17, 05:19 PM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BlckGhst
Whats the mileage?
Sorry 68k miles
Old 12-22-17, 05:38 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Pretty low miles for a 10 year old car! Could be a good thing, could be a bad thing (like the reason why it has sat for so long, etc).
Bit you're right, if the price is "too good to be true", that should immediately raise a red flag.
If everything checks out good, I'd be comfortable paying $25k-$28k (which is still a deal).

V.
Old 12-22-17, 05:45 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Since 2011's in good condition can be found in the high $20s, most I'd pay for an 08 with 70k miles would be about $23k
Old 12-23-17, 01:54 AM
USB2011JAM
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Since 2011's in good condition can be found in the high $20s, most I'd pay for an 08 with 70k miles would be about $23k

....... Ummmm....where?

Only 2011's I see under $30K have at or more then 100k (97K-99k) miles, even then then, they're $27-30,000.00.

And USB? 2011? There is ONE 2011 USB for sale on Autotrader in the entire country! It has 55k miles, and its $37,000.00 and I believe its also the one with questionable history from an accident?

There is like less then 20, 2011's for sale in the country in ANY COLOR..... Throw in 2012, then that number bumps up to about 30 for sale TOTAL. 2 examples in Ultra Sonic Blue. That doesn't bode well for a "bargain"... just sayin.... Especially since USB DOES indeed bring a premium that "value guides" won't tell you.Your information to the OP is completely off base, and terrible advice, he WILL NOT buy that car for $23k.

The crack rocks some people on this site smoke astound me...

TO THE OP:
BUY THE CAR, if its clean, has good history, and its in your budget, don't worry about a grand or 2, or even 3-4k, or what people on this website think is a good deal.... the majority of people on here that talk about how good a deal they got are either lying, was purchased a long time ago when there was a lot more available, or it isn't as good a deal as they think it was... Buy the car, or someone else will, soon. You won't lose much money on it, nor will it be a bad purchase.

Realistically if you can get that car under 28-29k (which is what they're asking for it, it looks like? 28,900.00) and its in the pristine condition you say it is, you're doing well. If its clean and nice, it will sell for what they're asking. There is only a couple USB 2008s for sale in the country also.

I can promise you, if you keep it nice, and clean, and relatively average miles the car will NOT be worth 10k less then it is now, 2 years later. 2 years ago prices weren't that much different then they are now, and there ARE NOT more for sale now, so what does that tell you? Values are leveled off, if not going up slowly as more and more examples go away.

Lastly, do your research and due diligence, if you've been watching them for a while looking to buy? You already know what a good price is, you already know what you're after, thats why you posted on here, for validation that you may have to pay close to asking price, or more then you originally thought you could... unfortunately a lot of people do that on here, and get bad advice, and feel stupid for paying what they thought was a "good deal", or more then a "good deal", and some jack wagon that has no clue says "ohhhh yaaaaa i paid like 27,500.00 for a 2012 with 30k miles a year ago, i wouldn't touch that thing for more then $20,000.00" .... No they didn't, they're full of it, or it was a rebuilt POS, or they don't even own an ISF at all, but they're experts.... If it's not a "good deal" by ClubLexus standards, buy one that is a "good deal" by this forums standards....oooohhhhh yaaaaa..... YOU CAN'T!.... Just wait around another 7-12 months for the next clean USB ISF to come up. You'll find your unicorn, and hopefully no one else is also looking for a USB ISF at the same time to bump you (hint there are many, just look at classifieds, theres multiple people with "WTB BLUE ISF" posts).... sooo ... uhhh... ya.... good luck.

Also a lot of people seem to not mention much, even if its a nicely maintained car... Brakes and tires can run $1500-3000.00 or more for 4 rotors, pads, 4 tires, labor, depending on what you want. So a USB 2008 ISF with 68k miles priced at $28,900.00 that needs brakes and tires soon (say 5-10k life left), isn't much different then paying $31,000.00 for a 2008 USB ISF with 68k miles that has brand new rotors, pads, tires already done....

With how little of these cars there are available, especially BLUE, its definitely not a "buyers" market.

Last edited by USB2011JAM; 12-23-17 at 02:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by USB2011JAM:
N2LEX2L (12-23-17), sc3dreamin (12-23-17)
Old 12-23-17, 04:05 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Well said^^^
Yes, there are some deals out there, but what’s the provenance of the cars?

Carmax has two 2011s: $33k for 74000 miles and $36k for 46000 miles. Assume that these are top dollar and you can work backwards on where the price should be at a cheaper dealer. They actually just got in a 2014 USB for $46k. Rare bird. There is one 2008 on there for 27$ and one 2009 for 29$. They sell FAST, even at Carmax prices they don’t sit around for long, and oftentimes I’ve gone on their site and they’ve had exactly zero Fs in the entire US. Not many cars that you find zero of on Carmax.

And you are 100% correct about tires and brakes. Given the life of Z rated tires, you almost start to need new tires the second you put the fresh set on. Brakes not as bad.

I am a lucky one that truly did get a deal on my car from a forum member. He had already contracted on a new truck for his expanding family and due to his location had limited buyers and was going to sell to Carmax by the end of the week. Carmax was going to make him take off the Joe Z exhaust. He ended up selling me the car, 2011 MM, with JoeZ, 2012 headlights, oem LED fogs and the Lexus platinum warranty through mid 2019 (which I fear I will never get to use due to the quality of the car!) and full Lexus service records for exactly what Carmax was going to give him for it-he wanted it to go to an enthusiast. I paid $33k two years ago for a car with 40000 miles on it. I consider that the best $33000 I’ve ever spent and felt very, very lucky to get that deal when prices at the time for similar cars were approaching $40k.

if the car is clean, just buy it. A few thousand in the wash is not worth losing out on a good example or spending the next two years looking around. These cars are not Honda Accords—there’s not 10000 of them floating around at any given moment. Accept the laws of supply and demand and pay the piper.

As for me, once that warranty runs out, it’s time to add some more horsepower to the car

Last edited by Jz39; 12-23-17 at 04:12 AM.
Old 12-23-17, 06:43 AM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

OP - in my garage is a good example of a 2011 that was priced fairly for the condition and miles. The whole "if you paid less, you automatically got junk that needed a ton of work and I bet its salvage" is hyperbole and laughable. Ask me how I know. If you wait and are patient, a good deal WILL come along and you wont have to question yourself. Really depends on how bad you want it, how quickly you want to buy (as I do admit the waiting time for a good IS-F can be longer), and the type of seller. I wasnt in a hurry and bought from a private party. If you become open to other colors or decide to buy privately, the chances improve even more. Good luck in your search. Let me know if you want some of my crack
Old 12-23-17, 09:13 AM
behnammavi
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can find good deal if you wait for it and buy it when listing is up. Don’t wait and think about it . I just missed the good deal, ad was up for only 7 hours and he had a lucky buyer. 2011 with header, Hks exh exhaust, intake and 91k mile for 23k ��
Old 12-23-17, 09:41 AM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just for perspective, I just paid 30k for my 09 with 49500 miles. Its loaded obsidian save dcc and collision avoidance. Dealer tint installed back in 2009. Exterior is fair with expected paint chips along the front and mild scratches along the body work lower level. Interior is perfect, all black, much better than the Parchment interior in my 13 es300h I owned for a year. It stained easily and I never got used to it like I thought I would. I have to say considering the cars rarity and performance I was satisfied with that price. Full and solid service history was provided. Purchased from Kuni Lexus in Portland Oregon, so post sale service has been excellent.

Btw they put a cherry on top with new tires, rotors, pads and floor mats. Also came with a 5yr/100k powertrain warranty...

Last edited by 400to300H; 12-23-17 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-23-17, 09:52 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

USB2011JAM and jz39 has summed up this thread. Everything they said is true.
Trying to save a few thousand won't get you very far. If you're penny pinching, probably not the car for you any how.

V.

Last edited by Vitveet; 12-24-17 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-23-17, 10:06 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vitveet
USB2011JAM and jz39 has summed up this thread. Everything they said is true.
Trying to save a free thousand won't get you very far. If you're penny pinching, probably not the car for you any how.

V.

Yea..its more about me wanting to feel like I got a fair deal than anything...the money isnt an issue, but I dont wanna feel like I overpaid.
Old 12-23-17, 10:09 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

OP - in my garage is a good example of a 2011 that was priced fairly for the condition and miles. The whole "if you paid less, you automatically got junk that needed a ton of work and I bet its salvage" is hyperbole and laughable. Ask me how I know. If you wait and are patient, a good deal WILL come along and you wont have to question yourself. Really depends on how bad you want it, how quickly you want to buy (as I do admit the waiting time for a good IS-F can be longer), and the type of seller. I wasnt in a hurry and bought from a private party. If you become open to other colors or decide to buy privately, the chances improve even more. Good luck in your search. Let me know if you want some of my crack
yea, the issue there is USB is a must for me, but you are correct, if I was open to other colors would be a lot easier to find a decent deal. Theres just not much out there when it comes to these cars.
Old 12-23-17, 10:15 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by USB2011JAM
....... Ummmm....where?

Only 2011's I see under $30K have at or more then 100k (97K-99k) miles, even then then, they're $27-30,000.00.

And USB? 2011? There is ONE 2011 USB for sale on Autotrader in the entire country! It has 55k miles, and its $37,000.00 and I believe its also the one with questionable history from an accident?

There is like less then 20, 2011's for sale in the country in ANY COLOR..... Throw in 2012, then that number bumps up to about 30 for sale TOTAL. 2 examples in Ultra Sonic Blue. That doesn't bode well for a "bargain"... just sayin.... Especially since USB DOES indeed bring a premium that "value guides" won't tell you.Your information to the OP is completely off base, and terrible advice, he WILL NOT buy that car for $23k.

The crack rocks some people on this site smoke astound me...

TO THE OP:
BUY THE CAR, if its clean, has good history, and its in your budget, don't worry about a grand or 2, or even 3-4k, or what people on this website think is a good deal.... the majority of people on here that talk about how good a deal they got are either lying, was purchased a long time ago when there was a lot more available, or it isn't as good a deal as they think it was... Buy the car, or someone else will, soon. You won't lose much money on it, nor will it be a bad purchase.

Realistically if you can get that car under 28-29k (which is what they're asking for it, it looks like? 28,900.00) and its in the pristine condition you say it is, you're doing well. If its clean and nice, it will sell for what they're asking. There is only a couple USB 2008s for sale in the country also.

I can promise you, if you keep it nice, and clean, and relatively average miles the car will NOT be worth 10k less then it is now, 2 years later. 2 years ago prices weren't that much different then they are now, and there ARE NOT more for sale now, so what does that tell you? Values are leveled off, if not going up slowly as more and more examples go away.

Lastly, do your research and due diligence, if you've been watching them for a while looking to buy? You already know what a good price is, you already know what you're after, thats why you posted on here, for validation that you may have to pay close to asking price, or more then you originally thought you could... unfortunately a lot of people do that on here, and get bad advice, and feel stupid for paying what they thought was a "good deal", or more then a "good deal", and some jack wagon that has no clue says "ohhhh yaaaaa i paid like 27,500.00 for a 2012 with 30k miles a year ago, i wouldn't touch that thing for more then $20,000.00" .... No they didn't, they're full of it, or it was a rebuilt POS, or they don't even own an ISF at all, but they're experts.... If it's not a "good deal" by ClubLexus standards, buy one that is a "good deal" by this forums standards....oooohhhhh yaaaaa..... YOU CAN'T!.... Just wait around another 7-12 months for the next clean USB ISF to come up. You'll find your unicorn, and hopefully no one else is also looking for a USB ISF at the same time to bump you (hint there are many, just look at classifieds, theres multiple people with "WTB BLUE ISF" posts).... sooo ... uhhh... ya.... good luck.

Also a lot of people seem to not mention much, even if its a nicely maintained car... Brakes and tires can run $1500-3000.00 or more for 4 rotors, pads, 4 tires, labor, depending on what you want. So a USB 2008 ISF with 68k miles priced at $28,900.00 that needs brakes and tires soon (say 5-10k life left), isn't much different then paying $31,000.00 for a 2008 USB ISF with 68k miles that has brand new rotors, pads, tires already done....

With how little of these cars there are available, especially BLUE, its definitely not a "buyers" market.
Thank you, a lot of good info, im just going off the pictures since im about 12 hours away from that car but it does seem like a very clean well kept car from the carfax and pictures but hard to say for sure without seeing it in person. Ill have to ask them if they know when the brakes were last changes, it does appear it got new tires earlier this year according to the carfax.

Theres always other cars out there but yea, like you said, usually when theyre cheap theyre cheap for a reason, 5 owners, accidents on the carfax, just general rough condition.

I looked at a 120k miles 21k car in washington DC and it was an absolute mess, dings scratches, dents all over, etc.

Honestly if this car was closer id probably own it buy now lol

Quick Reply: Fair price for 08 USB ISF?