Tune after PPE Header install

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-18, 04:53 AM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Tune after PPE Header install

Hi all,

In short, ive got a catback exhaust, k&N insert (OEM box), HPS intake hose and have had it locally tuned (Syd AU). I was happy with everything. Each mod seems to play their part and i gained 20.3kw @ wheels from the intial dyno based on my mods at the time.

Ive just recently fitted ceramic coated PPE headers and as its a substantial mod, im looking to tune it again for the most power i can have and to ensure all the ratios, fuel etc are spot on given there would be more air, timing etc to play with.

Been deliberating 2 options:

1. Go back to the local tuner who did mine the first time around. About $500 AU give or take for a retune given ive already paid the most expensive part up front for the initial tune. There arent many options in Syd as you guys have a lot more modified ISF's then we do and a first time tune is approx $1800 AU.

2. Been looking at RR tuned intake option. Im assuming landed, after customs, fittment etc it might be about $1500ish AU for me.

Their site indicates the intake alone does not do much but with headers and mods i now have, its good for about 15hp and also i get their tune. I dont know if their tune is a generic one to the mods i have or specific based on the file i send them from the OBD tool so they configure something to match my engines parameters etc. I havent asked RR yet. Im sure their intake design and the MAF being a bit bigger will mean its a bit louder (which is always nice) but is it worth the extra 1k.

I know i wont supercharge, turbo charge or carry out any further engine mods as i dont think there is much options out there for me now so i know this should be my final tune. In hindsight i would not have tuned it the first time but hindsight is great. I never thought i was going to get headers but did.

Also the fact the car does have a tune (prior to headers) im assuming the tune wont be as comprehensive regardless who i go to given it is somewhat tuned vs not at all. Welcome to any opinions, thanks.

Im just trying to decide, is the extra outlay worth it going to RR? Each dyno is also different but if i go to my local who tuned it intially, ill be in a better position to see before and afters. I was happy with the initial tune but could i get more? I know its a hard pending the knowledge of each tuner. Everyone knows RR is very well known when it comes to the ISF
Old 02-04-18, 02:03 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't think you would gain much with a touch up tune, (I have had them done on other cars )the computer is self learning, it would be good to have RR tune to 7200 though. Give RR an email. Yes and in Hine sight I should have gone RR tune a lot cheaper than Sydney tunes cheers.
Old 02-05-18, 09:43 AM
murphyslaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by isfvss
I don't think you would gain much with a touch up tune, (I have had them done on other cars )the computer is self learning, it would be good to have RR tune to 7200 though. Give RR an email. Yes and in Hine sight I should have gone RR tune a lot cheaper than Sydney tunes cheers.
Any modification change necessitates re-tuning. "Self learning" is bs and doesn't mean what you think it does.

The RR tune is going to be an OTS(off the shelf) tune they made for a set of parts. Will it be close? Likely.
Are you better off with a competent tuner tuning for your EXACT car and mods? Yes, as always.

That being said, bit edit has software for tuning the IS-F along with a flashing module IIRC.

RR racing is not the only option.
Old 02-05-18, 04:04 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

Welcome to the forum sounds like you know a lot about the ISF.
Old 02-07-18, 05:54 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The custom retune of your AUDM ecm for $500 will be preferable to RR's off the shelf tune of a USDM ecm for $1500 imho.
Old 02-09-18, 07:19 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw
Any modification change necessitates re-tuning. "Self learning" is bs and doesn't mean what you think it does.

The RR tune is going to be an OTS(off the shelf) tune they made for a set of parts. Will it be close? Likely.
Are you better off with a competent tuner tuning for your EXACT car and mods? Yes, as always.

That being said, bit edit has software for tuning the IS-F along with a flashing module IIRC.

Got links for bit edit? I'd be interested to see how their stuff works on Lexus/Toyota/Scion.

**Update** - no flash module on BitEdit's site. 200 Euros for the 2UR-GSE software to run on Win7 or later.

Self learning means exactly what I think it does. The ECM adjusts fuel and ignition parameters to meet operating target values in tables provided by Toyota. It is the prime reason tuning Toyota platforms with OEM ECMs has been a nightmare for many years.

RR Racing surely isn't the only option, but they've pretty much owned the market on this forum since TTFS went silent.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-09-18 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-09-18, 06:29 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw

Yes and No, you are correct RR Racing is not the only option, but the reality is their aren't bunch of tuners jumping to create tunes for Lexus vehicles right now. Most of larger tuning company's don't seem to think there's enough profit to be made to justify R&D to create tunes.

There are great small tuner shops as well as independent individual tuners out there but yet again you don't see tuners running out to create tunes for our vehicles. Are there any other shops or tuners out there creating custom tunes probably but I haven't come across any tuners doing work on our platform, and I'm active in other forums, car clubs etc.

That being said I'm glad RR Racing created tune even if it is OTS tune. Better RR Racing OTS than nothing at all.
The following users liked this post:
breed (05-02-20)