IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-18, 11:15 AM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice needed

So in 2015 I purchased my ISF from a certified Pre-owned dealership in Massachusetts. The automobile had 38,000 miles, and although I didn't get the certified pre-owned warranty, ( I purchased the aftermarket warranty), the vehicle under went the certified inspection. The sales rep assured me the after market warranty was better. I've only taken the car to this dealerships other location for all documented services . I've always asked how cabin filter was and if it needed to be changed and was always told it's good until my last service when I asked to inspect the AC system because I felt it wasn't getting as cold. I was told that the rotating filter door was broken and it would cost $1400 to repair. When I told the service advisor that I've only taken it to them for service, his response was, "Did you purchase the car brand new"? I'm now bringing this up because I'm in for my next service, now living in Florida, wondering how I should deal with this. I've purchased the car from them, so either they sold it to me like this, which I doubt, or, they did it. Please give some advice incase they try brushing me off again!
Old 02-10-18, 11:19 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

do it yourself and saved bunch of money man, they are ripping u off those filter cabin , and intake box filter are easy to change, so does oil, buy it and swap it
Old 02-10-18, 02:40 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,362 Posts

The cabin filter door is very easy to break if the filter is changed incorrectly. The dealer fix is indeed very expensive. There is a fix that costs pocket change that is listed in a couple of threads. Do a search to find them. If you never changed the filter yourself, then someone else could have broken it, Either the previous owner or a repair person. If it was a dealer it should be in the car's history.

Lou
Old 02-10-18, 04:23 PM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flowrider
The cabin filter door is very easy to break if the filter is changed incorrectly. The dealer fix is indeed very expensive. There is a fix that costs pocket change that is listed in a couple of threads. Do a search to find them. If you never changed the filter yourself, then someone else could have broken it, Either the previous owner or a repair person. If it was a dealer it should be in the car's history.

Lou
Yea Lou, I've never attempted it, I've only had the dealer I purchased it from touch it and the car was pre-owned certified so I know it was good then when I purchased it and there is no history showing it to have been broken previously by the first owner.
Old 02-10-18, 05:30 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Do you hear a rattle or any noise when switching between recirculation and fresh air?
Old 02-10-18, 05:34 PM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lawrence1
Do you hear a rattle or any noise when switching between recirculation and fresh air?
IDK, I'll check tomorrow, I usually just keep it on one setting, fresh air I think
Old 02-10-18, 11:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,021 Likes on 2,436 Posts

If it is broken, it's only working in fresh air mode. You can't get recirc at all.

Fix is a PITA, but not terribly difficult. I fixed my 350, and never made the mistake with my IS F.

$1400 is a pretty penny for something you can fix with a long sheet metal screw and some patience.
Old 02-11-18, 04:35 PM
USB2011JAM
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

What was the warranty you purchased?

And why why would they say an aftermarket warranty is better then the certified Lexus? That makes no sense. The certified Lexus warranty should be pretty much the exact same as factory warranty.

And why why is your aftermarket warranty not covering this? Wether it’s 5.00 or 5000.00 fix, you paid for a warranty to pay for repairs...

if you were talked out of the Lexus brand warranty because the dealer could make more profit on the aftermarket (which is usually the only reason they would do that) I would contact Lexus Corp. Because if it would have covered this fix but now doesn’t because it’s not factory warranty, that’s also a problem.

In my opinion even if an easy fix you still need some explaining from that dealer as to why the warranty isn’t covering it, or whatever. Unless it’s just expired. At which point that’s why you shouldn’t buy extended warranties.
Old 02-12-18, 06:25 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by USB2011JAM
What was the warranty you purchased?

And why why would they say an aftermarket warranty is better then the certified Lexus? That makes no sense. The certified Lexus warranty should be pretty much the exact same as factory warranty.

And why why is your aftermarket warranty not covering this? Wether it’s 5.00 or 5000.00 fix, you paid for a warranty to pay for repairs...

if you were talked out of the Lexus brand warranty because the dealer could make more profit on the aftermarket (which is usually the only reason they would do that) I would contact Lexus Corp. Because if it would have covered this fix but now doesn’t because it’s not factory warranty, that’s also a problem.

In my opinion even if an easy fix you still need some explaining from that dealer as to why the warranty isn’t covering it, or whatever. Unless it’s just expired. At which point that’s why you shouldn’t buy extended warranties.
Also wondering this. Why isn't your warranty covering this? Buying your car from Lexus doesn't make it "Certified". Being CPO gives an extended warranty at the price that the vehicle is sold for, not an additional cost in the Finance office. Where in Florida are you? I work for AutoNation, maybe I can help.