IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tall drivers check in!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-18, 06:48 AM
dgi
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tall drivers check in!

6'6" here, looking for a new daily driver.

Have two boys, one is in a booster, one is still in a child seat. Wondering if this is the car for me. I can sit in them but not sure how useable it would be on the daily grind.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-02-18, 06:59 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am 6'3 and barely fit. For the first few weeks, I would hit my head on entry and exit. As for the back seat, my seven year old can sit behind me just fine. I'm sure a car seat would be pretty tight, but I've seen a few people with them installed.
Old 03-02-18, 11:29 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

6'3" here.... I fit but my head is only about an inch from the headliner. Back seats are small but I never put anyone back there anyways. For any road trips that require more than 2 people, I just drive my GS350 which has way more room.
Old 03-02-18, 01:24 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

6'5 here and I fit but barely lol. Even worse with a helmet on and I don't have people ever sit behind me so that's ok. I have a rx350 as a daily or if I need more aoace
Old 03-02-18, 07:40 PM
xellos
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6'2" here. I must have a long torso or something because my head is close to the ceiling (sunroof). A helmet is a no go without tilting my head to the sides. Don't feel like this car would be a good choice with you being 6'6" and having kids, but I've never had to put boosters or child seats in.
Old 03-02-18, 09:20 PM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm 6'4" and find the fit acceptable. With my seating position and legroom being comfortable, I feel that the steering wheel could be closer. If the wheel only telescoped 2-3 more inches, it would be ideal. As some previous posters have commented, helmet use requires a less than ideal seating position. For me this was acceptable for quarter mile runs, but would probably not be great for road course duty.

As a daily driver, the seating position is as good as any other car I have been in. I guess the curse of being tall is that SUVs or trucks are the only things that really seem to "fit." However, the reach to the wheel is gotten used to quickly and, for me, seems to be a very small compromise given the smile this car still puts on my face after 3 years.
Old 03-03-18, 07:26 AM
PJSnow
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm 6'-2" and I'd say its a comfortable fit. I have longer legs and I find myself leaning my knees against the door/center console with the seat pushed 90% back. Head room is great for street driving but I haven't tried a helmet yet.

I've gotten more complaints about the rear seat room than airlines but that is mainly because my seat is back at 90-100%. I can't speak first hand about children in the F but the previous owner of my car sold it to me because he had 2 kids. Take that with a grain of salt but he got an RX350 after selling me the ISF.
Old 03-03-18, 10:44 AM
LexusinBoi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you taller than me need to post some seat set up pics! I’m 6’1” and feels like I’m at the end of the comfort spectrum.
Old 03-03-18, 11:00 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Agreed. I’m 6’1” and I can’t imagine being too much taller and having comfort. With anyone behind me, children included, I am uncomfortable. The F is small. There is more space in the back of my G35 Coupe!

Has anyone looked to see if we can “mod” our seats to go lower? In the G Coupe, everyone (myself included) has done a quick mod that allows the drivers seat to go lower than stock. That small amount of extra low makes a huge difference!

I would strongly suggest against the OP getting an F. There’s just no way those numbers work.
Old 03-03-18, 12:52 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Agreed^^^........I'm 5'10 and when my kids are in the car 5 & 7 they are kicking the back of the seat (inadvertently), so I make them take their shoes off when they're back there. If I try to pull the seat forward to give them more leg room I feel cramped.

The bottom line is the F is a small 4 door car and anyone over 6' I don't know how you do it with kids in the back seat, if not kids your basically making the F a coupe because no one can realistically sit in the back seats comfortably IMO.
Old 03-05-18, 02:18 PM
stunts
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am 6'2 (not very tall according to this thread) and I think it is a snug fit. I sit close-ish to the steering wheel so my head is noticeably close to the sunroof bump. Also find my left leg against the door. Only had the car a month, so still finding my ideal seating position, but I know the roof of the car is there. I dont find it claustrophobic, but snug compared to my previous car; Infiniti G37 if you have had any time in those.

Car-seats fit (2 and 5 year old) but its tight for everyone. Mash the gas and its all smiles though.
The following users liked this post:
tschre2 (04-24-24)
Old 03-05-18, 03:29 PM
Raven97990
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I am 6'7" 289, I feel comfortable in the car, no hope for anyone to sit behind me and I can wear my helmet at the drag strip no issue. The side bolsters are a bit tight for a 3+ hour drive but around town its great.
The following users liked this post:
tschre2 (04-24-24)
Old 03-05-18, 06:43 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah, it is also a tight car width wise. My G35 Coupe, which is wider than the G37, is way more roomy in the hips. To be honest, I don’t prefer the F for long drives. It’s fairly clostrophobic to me. If I were commuting a lot in the car, I think I would get sick of it after awhile. I’d probably fit better in the GSF.
Old 03-08-18, 01:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am 6'5" 300 lbs and used to fit in mine with a helmet. It was a comfortable car but narrow. My ZL1 fits me better . Lmao I'm taller than the open hood on a coupe for Gods sake. Lexus makes a comfortable car and luckily with the wider sunroof we can fit our helmets into the opening. When I got my ZL1 I had to find one without the sunroof to fit
Attached Thumbnails Tall drivers check in!-photo395.jpg  
Old 03-08-18, 01:30 PM
ISFMichael
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand how all you guys over 6'2" have head room, as I'm just under 6' tall and only have like an inch at the most of clearance between my head and the roof. This is my biggest complaint about the ISF, the seating position is too high. I wish the seat lowered more.

Quick Reply: Tall drivers check in!