Air Intake Duct with Results...it works

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-18, 09:48 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 190 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Air Intake Duct with Results...it works

Hi guys.

I finally got around to testing a 3" silicone duct I fabbed up from the passenger brake duct into the RR-Racing Intake Box.

here's the data (datalogged with OBD Fusion (highly recommended) with the Le Link OBD2 device).

By first glance, the data including the duct lean towards colder temperatures. In fact they do. A quick 2-sample t-test shows that the mean of the ducted data set is < the mean of the data w/no duct.
Overall, the difference in averages is 5 F. Not ducted ran 5 F hotter. And ducted ran 2 F cooler.

The two trials were performed back to back with the same conditions at NJMP track day sessions (e.g.ambient temp stayed steady at 46 F).
To clarify: for the no duct trial, I plugged up both ends of the duct with shop towels and taped the openings which resulted in no flow.

This is a cheap, quick, and effective DIY mod that's shown results at high speeds (and I reckon would work well during highway driving too).
The following users liked this post:
idoke1 (03-18-18)
Old 03-17-18, 10:17 PM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the data points and expirementing with this modification. Wouldn’t redirecting the air that’s supposed to be cooling the brakes result in higher brake temps and increased wear? Personally, I would want to keep my brakes cooler while on track rather than a few degrees colder air into the engine. It would be interesting to see the temperature difference between the front left and right brakes with this system in place.
Old 03-17-18, 10:32 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Originally Posted by AndrewISF
Thanks for the data points and expirementing with this modification. Wouldn’t redirecting the air that’s supposed to be cooling the brakes result in higher brake temps and increased wear? Personally, I would want to keep my brakes cooler while on track rather than a few degrees colder air into the engine. It would be interesting to see the temperature difference between the front left and right brakes with this system in place.
This doesn’t redirect air completely to the intake...the brake duct is still functional. Even then, RR-Racing has done lots of track testing with one of the ducts removed (to make space for supercharger piping): no apparent effect on brakes, even remarkably in high-stress track day situations.
this was addressed on a previous thread and/or my build thread as well!

Old 03-18-18, 12:25 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Great job JDMV8! I wonder if if could work on the stock intake box? I don't have the rr-racing intake and i don't I have headers. Been sticking with gutted cats as it worked pretty well so far although I am leaning towards headers as I suspect my passenger side stock header may be cracked.
Old 03-18-18, 09:00 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

I have no doubt it works as an effective ram air duct for more air and cooler air at higher speeds!

We did this exact same mod in the Volvo S60R community to get more cold air into the stock box so we tapped the duct next to the foglight and ran a tube exactly as shown here.

Wonder if Rafi and the crew will start to sell this if they deem it as effective enough?
Old 03-18-18, 10:05 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Originally Posted by idoke1
Great job JDMV8! I wonder if if could work on the stock intake box? I don't have the rr-racing intake and i don't I have headers. Been sticking with gutted cats as it worked pretty well so far although I am leaning towards headers as I suspect my passenger side stock header may be cracked.
I'm sure it can. However, you'd have to cut a hole in your stock airbox and mount the other end of the duct in it. That would make for an enclosed system...I'm sure
Also, a 3" silicone pipe pinches when routing it behind the headlight (the cross-sectional area is reduced by 20%, I would guess). That constriction should necessarily increase air velocity (fluids speed up at constrictions). I guess coupled with the ram air effect at higher speeds, this did its job!
This was just a fun DIY project, headers are a whole different ballgame

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I have no doubt it works as an effective ram air duct for more air and cooler air at higher speeds!

We did this exact same mod in the Volvo S60R community to get more cold air into the stock box so we tapped the duct next to the foglight and ran a tube exactly as shown here.

Wonder if Rafi and the crew will start to sell this if they deem it as effective enough?
Yes, we talked about it before! Now at least I have data. I suppose a fog light delete kit would work well to market in this case, to make it more plug-and-play.
MileHIFcar (03-18-18)
Old 03-18-18, 10:30 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd be down for a foglight delete kit period.
Old 03-18-18, 04:05 PM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mahcah
I'd be down for a foglight delete kit period.
Agreed. This is a cool mod.
Old 03-19-18, 12:20 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

Were about's is the air intake sensor on the ISF located ??
Old 03-19-18, 03:48 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by isfvss
Were about's is the air intake sensor on the ISF located ??
IATs are measured with the MAF sensor.
isfvss (03-19-18)
Old 03-19-18, 02:14 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for sharing your data. Useful for those with the tuned intake.

Do you still have your stock airbox & filter element? Wonder what that delta would be vs. oem.
Old 03-20-18, 11:58 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Do you have a picture of that piece that's mounted down low where you attach the hose to? Wanna see what it looks like. Might do the same
Old 03-20-18, 12:03 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Originally Posted by tas02
Thanks for sharing your data. Useful for those with the tuned intake.

Do you still have your stock airbox & filter element? Wonder what that delta would be vs. oem.
Smaller MAF housing but it'll be more of an enclosed unit with a duct being bypassed into it...comparable temperatures changes to my experiment for sure.

Originally Posted by FinLIFE
Do you have a picture of that piece that's mounted down low where you attach the hose to? Wanna see what it looks like. Might do the same
​​​​​​​It's all on my build thread
Old 03-20-18, 12:08 PM
glerink
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

its looks like it works as a proper Cold air intake there getting the benefits of it