IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

whos done muffler delete?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18, 12:52 AM
goto35
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default whos done muffler delete?

my exhaust shop wants to charge $200 and thinking if its worth it? Will this increase horsepower at all?
Old 04-28-18, 06:00 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

https://www.google.com/search?q=lexus+isf+muffler+delete&oq=lexus+IS-F+muffler&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j69i60j0l3.11963j0j4&client=ms-unknown&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
Old 04-28-18, 10:00 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

After getting novel headers and greddy ti exhaust, I've realized every other mod makes the car sound like garbage, including resonator delete and/or muffler delete.

Save your money, get the right mods. The engine sounds like a real race car once you open it up properly.
Old 04-28-18, 10:55 AM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

According to the muffler shop I went to, a small private shop thats been in business for many years, doing a muffler delete creates alot of drone. He did however recommend I try a premuffler delete, all I was going for was more sound. For $60 Im pleased with the results. But, frankly, Im always a little perplexed by peoples desire for more power. I find my ISF to have more than enough power to be fun and get me in trouble, albeit with a stock exhaust thats a little too tame. So I guess you have to take my experience with a grain of salt, I drive it like I stole it but Im perfectly satisfied with the sound and performance after a mild mod to the stock exhaust. Im sure dropping a grand on an exhaust would be that much more awesome but Im always willing to try the mildest mod first and see if it satisfies, in this case it did.
Old 04-29-18, 07:04 AM
B0077144
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 400to300H
According to the muffler shop I went to, a small private shop thats been in business for many years, doing a muffler delete creates alot of drone. He did however recommend I try a premuffler delete, all I was going for was more sound. For $60 Im pleased with the results. But, frankly, Im always a little perplexed by peoples desire for more power. I find my ISF to have more than enough power to be fun and get me in trouble, albeit with a stock exhaust thats a little too tame. So I guess you have to take my experience with a grain of salt, I drive it like I stole it but Im perfectly satisfied with the sound and performance after a mild mod to the stock exhaust. Im sure dropping a grand on an exhaust would be that much more awesome but Im always willing to try the mildest mod first and see if it satisfies, in this case it did.
Hi, what did they do exactly as premuffler delete? Remove the resonator only or the secondary cats?
Old 04-29-18, 08:26 AM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a muffler delete done to mine, cost about $200 IIRC. I had the shop fab up a setup so I can simply put the rear section back on at any point. If there are any gains, they will not be significant power-wise. There is a band of drone from about 1600-2200 RPM but isn't terrible IMO, or at least I don't find it bad. It definitely isn't a substitute for a proper exhaust set up, but if you want something to make it a bit louder in the immediate I think it's worth it. Besides, I think we've all wasted $200 at some point, not really breaking the bank on this one.
Old 04-29-18, 09:58 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 400to300h
but, frankly, im always a little perplexed by peoples desire for more power.
lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol
Old 04-29-18, 08:59 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought my car with a muffler delete, while it’s not as sweet sounding as a novel/greddy set up, it sounds a lot better than Stock, plus you get to keep 8k in your pocket. It’s really not that loud with 4 cats and a resonator still upstream.
Old 04-30-18, 09:44 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 159 Posts

I bought a Borla and then still did a muffler delete on it. Sounds fantastic and honestly drones less than stock borla. I think there may be a bit of gains to be had, due the axle back section having a poor flowing design, but can't beat bigger piping all around. I'd try it for $200 and see if you like it. Make sure to give it a few weeks to settle in as most any exhaust will quiet down after a few hundred miles.

Lol at comparing a $200 delete to a full header and catback install at no less than $6k. I would hope it would sound much better..
Old 04-30-18, 10:08 AM
goto35
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by B0077144

Hi, what did they do exactly as premuffler delete? Remove the resonator only or the secondary cats?
Yes what exactly did you do? Remove Resonator?
Old 04-30-18, 04:06 PM
djiawan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Straight pipe is the only option...