ISF Driving characteristic

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-18, 08:46 AM
b761125
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ISF Driving characteristic

Hi everyone,

This is my first post in club lexus as I only joined a few month ago. Nice to meet everyone
The reason I join is because I am in the market for a 2011+ ISF to be as my daily. I have been reading lots of posts in club lexus, Youtube, and other online car review sources about the ISF and I think it is the best option based on my budget.
But since this will be a used car, it is a lot harder to test drive and understand the driving dynamics of the car in all weather condition. I live in Toronto, Ontario Canada so winter snow driving will be unavoidable.
For the time being, the ISF will be my daily until I buy a house with 2 parking spaces.

A little background information on me and why my decision lead me to an ISF.
2011 Subaru Impreza 4 years
2017 WRX 2 years
2017 C43 coupe <1 year
Both the WRX and C43 were leased and brought me a lot more joy into my daily commute after a long day at work. The WRX is a much better driver's car as compared to the C43. I felt much more in control when driving the WRX; however, it definitely attract a lot of unwanted attention (World rally blue did not help). C43 has quieter interior, still reasonable exhaust sound but it is such a soft car compared to the WRX. Loosing the sharpness and reduces the fun. I personally do like the stiffer ride of the WRX, but sometime we have to compromise a little if my better half can't stand the harsh ride

The Impreza was front wheel drive and both the WRX and C43 are all wheel drive. Being in a snowy country, I always have snow tires.

Since I could not test drive the ISF in all condition, I was wondering if anyone who owns the ISF can share their experience when compared to the WRX or C43? Especially the suspension, steering and as a daily driver (Snow, rain).

Thanks!
Old 05-07-18, 10:57 AM
glerink
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

In all honestly its kind of hard to describe suspension characteristics to someone, since it seems to be a personal opinion which varies depending on the person, some people would say that it feels like trash and uncomfortable and some would say it drives like dream, I know you said you haven't test driven it, but that's pretty much your only option, anything we say here since it could be conflicting with your opinions and its only going to confuse you.

It's not going to be more fun to drive than that wrx you had in the twisties in stock form, but if you decide to modify the suspension on the ISF just like any other car you enter beast mode. It will on the other hand be at absolute blast as far as straight goes and don't get my words twisted its very capable to hug a corner but I feel that the wrx is more of a drivers car. It's pretty much a bullet proof car very reliable as any Toyota, its a comfortable car to drive and its very enjoyable to cruise and drive aggressively.
I honestly cant compare it to the others on your list since I have no clue as to how they ride since I never been in one.

But again test ride it, and if the salesman doesn't let you push it he isn't a good salesman, a good salesman would know in order to get your panties down with this car you need to rev it over 4k Happy hunting it is a rare car and just like most of us here you wont regret to buy a very exclusive and rare car.
The following users liked this post:
dugahole55 (05-09-18)
Old 05-07-18, 11:55 AM
b761125
Rookie

Thanks for the honest response glerink
As much as I would like to rev the car during a test drive, I also don't want to appear like just another joy rider for the seller. That is why I would like to get as many people's responses as possible.
It is definitely not possible to describe the feeling to another person but I was hoping it would be much easier for me with a comparison between the car I drove before. With some luck, maybe someone has as well

Originally Posted by glerink
In all honestly its kind of hard to describe suspension characteristics to someone, since it seems to be a personal opinion which varies depending on the person, some people would say that it feels like trash and uncomfortable and some would say it drives like dream, I know you said you haven't test driven it, but that's pretty much your only option, anything we say here since it could be conflicting with your opinions and its only going to confuse you.

It's not going to be more fun to drive than that wrx you had in the twisties in stock form, but if you decide to modify the suspension on the ISF just like any other car you enter beast mode. It will on the other hand be at absolute blast as far as straight goes and don't get my words twisted its very capable to hug a corner but I feel that the wrx is more of a drivers car. It's pretty much a bullet proof car very reliable as any Toyota, its a comfortable car to drive and its very enjoyable to cruise and drive aggressively.
I honestly cant compare it to the others on your list since I have no clue as to how they ride since I never been in one.

But again test ride it, and if the salesman doesn't let you push it he isn't a good salesman, a good salesman would know in order to get your panties down with this car you need to rev it over 4k Happy hunting it is a rare car and just like most of us here you wont regret to buy a very exclusive and rare car.
Old 05-07-18, 01:59 PM
glerink
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by b761125
Thanks for the honest response glerink
As much as I would like to rev the car during a test drive, I also don't want to appear like just another joy rider for the seller. That is why I would like to get as many people's responses as possible.
It is definitely not possible to describe the feeling to another person but I was hoping it would be much easier for me with a comparison between the car I drove before. With some luck, maybe someone has as well
yeah the only car I've driven was a wrx and that's where my feedback comes into play the other you've had idk since I have zero knowledge on.
What I meant by rev over 4k I didn't mean drift the corners, any good salesman would want you to rev the car unless you it has issues, you are not buying a corolla. you are spending your money so it really shouldn't matter what they think if you're joy riding or not. If you feel that way drive the c63 to the dealer or salesman and I'm pretty sure they wont consider you a joke lol
The following users liked this post:
b761125 (05-07-18)
Old 05-07-18, 02:55 PM
Jordan345
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

First post on this forum; diehard toyota fan, 70 series landcruiser specifically but needed a city run around in toronto and have an ISF also.

i thought i would chime in on your question in context of Toronto roads, winter and overall driveability here.

firstly, previous cars were tuned audi's to about 410 hp (crank).

I have loved the quattro in winter but what people often forget is it will act the same as any car when stopping or turning (for the most part). Snow is tricky and is best handled with full understanding of conditions and fundamentally the best tires you can buy. Dedicated winter tires are a must with the isf and still you may struggle on steep hills. Regardless, for the 3 days a year it is sketchy, park the lexus. The rest of the time it is a blast!

my suspension is stock and i have the roughest of the years setup. Its not bad at all i dont seem to notice, although i drive a diesel 1hz landcruiser most of the time and we just moved back to toronto from africa. I have a different reference point for what is tolerable.

my isf is decatted and has no mufflers. It is quite nice and loud only when cold start. It has great accel and handling; although in the city very hard to get to a spot to wind it out.

I believe this to be one of the easiest cars to work on and very reliable. I have no desire for anything different and live drivjng it. No regrets at all for toronto driving.
Old 05-07-18, 02:57 PM
Jordan345
Rookie

Handling is tight, accel is quite good and there are some good options for bolt ons. I cant say i didnt love the sound of the c63 when i test drove one but poor reliability and everyone has one.

that 5.0 liter is a really great piece of engineering. I hope you get one.
Old 05-07-18, 04:08 PM
b761125
Rookie

Hi Jordan,

Thanks for the input!
My daily commute consist of 15 minutes city driving (Yonge St.) plus 10 minutes highway driving (Highway 7). During winter time, the road are generally plowed before I need to drive on them. There is a a stretch of road where I had seen people sliding uphill but most of them are driving 1980 corolla and probably with drag slicks (bold all season tire) in winter time. I will definitely have snow tires for the ISF (lucky my rim and tire from WRX has the same bolt pattern and offset as the ISF). But I am guessing I might need some to place some sand bags in the trunk of the front heavy V8 ISF. Maybe I am being optimistic, but I was hoping to only park the ISF when a snow storm warning is issued.

Although AWD does not provide you with any more stopping power then FWD/RWD, some accident can be avoided by steering away from the impact. At which point, I feel AWD does gets more traction/ chance. (Assuming the same reasonable tread tires) At the end of the day, good tire are a must for all powertrain.

Originally Posted by Jordan345
First post on this forum; diehard toyota fan, 70 series landcruiser specifically but needed a city run around in toronto and have an ISF also.

i thought i would chime in on your question in context of Toronto roads, winter and overall driveability here.

firstly, previous cars were tuned audi's to about 410 hp (crank).

I have loved the quattro in winter but what people often forget is it will act the same as any car when stopping or turning (for the most part). Snow is tricky and is best handled with full understanding of conditions and fundamentally the best tires you can buy. Dedicated winter tires are a must with the isf and still you may struggle on steep hills. Regardless, for the 3 days a year it is sketchy, park the lexus. The rest of the time it is a blast!

my suspension is stock and i have the roughest of the years setup. Its not bad at all i dont seem to notice, although i drive a diesel 1hz landcruiser most of the time and we just moved back to toronto from africa. I have a different reference point for what is tolerable.

my isf is decatted and has no mufflers. It is quite nice and loud only when cold start. It has great accel and handling; although in the city very hard to get to a spot to wind it out.

I believe this to be one of the easiest cars to work on and very reliable. I have no desire for anything different and live drivjng it. No regrets at all for toronto driving.
Old 05-07-18, 04:11 PM
b761125
Rookie

The C63 does have a mean sound. But the reliability is definitely what drove me away as using the merc. as a daily.

Hoping to find a reasonable condition ISF before my lease is due in September this year

Handling is tight, accel is quite good and there are some good options for bolt ons. I cant say i didnt love the sound of the c63 when i test drove one but poor reliability and everyone has one.

that 5.0 liter is a really great piece of engineering. I hope you get one.
Old 05-07-18, 05:01 PM
Jordan345
Rookie

I am in the beaches and drive to bay street typically. About the same driving also. I live on a hill so it gets a bit slick even with hakkapolitas which are a great winter tire. I too also had sand bags in the back but not really for wieght but for spreading sand down if i had to get through a tough hill patch. I picked up a foldable set of traction mats as a back up but again never used them. Just parked.

now its summer and there are few greater do it all sports cars with 4 doors with this rarity. Havent seen one yet actually.
As a side note i went all the way to quebec city to find a well kept garage stored never winter driven isf.

the one or two for sale in toronto had questionable sales folks and unverified history.
Old 05-07-18, 06:55 PM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wife owns a 2011 WRX and I own a 2009 ISF. We don't get much snow or ice here in Oregon but when we do the only thing we will drive is the WRX. While you can drive a rear wheel drive safely in snow and ice conditons its not something I would want to own as a daily in an area that sees those conditions regularly.
Old 05-08-18, 06:08 AM
b761125
Rookie

Most of the ISF listing seen now had been on for more than a month. Rather than thinking I am the first one whom saw the ISF, I think it probably had some issue hence nobody picked it up yet.
I am still research on purchasing car that has a Quebec or Alberta history. Some say Quebec has a different recording systems so thing may gets hidden on carfax. Not sure about if Alberta would have the same issue.

I am in the beaches and drive to bay street typically. About the same driving also. I live on a hill so it gets a bit slick even with hakkapolitas which are a great winter tire. I too also had sand bags in the back but not really for wieght but for spreading sand down if i had to get through a tough hill patch. I picked up a foldable set of traction mats as a back up but again never used them. Just parked.

now its summer and there are few greater do it all sports cars with 4 doors with this rarity. Havent seen one yet actually.
As a side note i went all the way to quebec city to find a well kept garage stored never winter driven isf.

the one or two for sale in toronto had questionable sales folks and unverified history.
Old 05-08-18, 06:11 AM
b761125
Rookie

Thanks for the input.
Is the WRX harsher than the ISF in regular day to day driving? Or about the same.

Originally Posted by 400to300H
Wife owns a 2011 WRX and I own a 2009 ISF. We don't get much snow or ice here in Oregon but when we do the only thing we will drive is the WRX. While you can drive a rear wheel drive safely in snow and ice conditons its not something I would want to own as a daily in an area that sees those conditions regularly.
Old 05-08-18, 07:05 AM
s2kimport
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I owned a 2012 STI hatchback and the ISF.

My ISF is on coilovers, but the ride is better than the STI, not by much, but it is better.

I don't regret selling the STI, I think the ISF is a well around car, but I also live in Houston so I never have to deal with snow. You won't regret your purchase, unless they truly suck on snow in which I don't know.
Old 05-08-18, 07:21 AM
b761125
Rookie

Thanks for the input.
Since I probably won't track the ISF, I am also thinking of changing to air performance bags. I am definitely not looking for the stance look, but rather having the adjustability when I am driving by myself versus driving with my finance.
Haven't research too much into the disadvantage of the bags yet. But I am concern about the compressor noise and durability.

Maybe I should considered moving down south so I don't have snow problem

Originally Posted by s2kimport
I owned a 2012 STI hatchback and the ISF.

My ISF is on coilovers, but the ride is better than the STI, not by much, but it is better.

I don't regret selling the STI, I think the ISF is a well around car, but I also live in Houston so I never have to deal with snow. You won't regret your purchase, unless they truly suck on snow in which I don't know.
Old 05-11-18, 06:40 AM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Driven the F in light snow in DC area, our snow plowing sucks but I drove with summer tires (MPSS) and didn't die so you should be good.