Potential ISF owner from Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-18, 05:00 PM
indominus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential ISF owner from Michigan

Hello from Michigan,
I have been lurking the F pages recently as I might buy an F in the near future. I have a 2014 WRX hatch ( slightly modded) and sadly have been developing some nerve compression issues ( IT professional), and find it a bit uncomfortable driving . I love my car, have driven stick shift most of my life . The feeling of nailing a perfect rev-matched downshift or a hard corner heel-toe is just very satisfying. I always thought I wouldn’t be caught dead in an automatic . But I feel it may be time to change that notion. I was always of the opinion that DCTs are the true performance automatics until I read about IS-F and its direct-shift 8 speed. I’m impressed with the car’s capabilities ( so far from reading and watching reviews). Plus I love RWD V8s ( owned one at a certain point )

I have eyed a couple of low mile 08 ISFs. I know they have their downs ( no LSD, no bluetooth streaming, no HIDs, stiffer ride). I have read this thread and got some information already. However, some clarifications

— Is the Direct-Shift behavior any different from 08s and the newer model years? Is there any lag in the older models or they shift rapidly as well with rev-matched downshifts?
— I read the transmission fluid is lifetime . But this being an 11 year old car, should I research into flushing it?
— How stiff is actually the ride, say compared to my WRX (stock suspension with poly bushings)? Any previous rex owners care to chime in?
— From what I have read here, 2012+ wider wheels are a direct fit, and so are the Zachs. Is this correct? Not worried about LSD now as I know I need driver mod before I upgrade the car.
— Being an older and low mileage car, I assume I should look into replacing belts, plugs, coolant?
— Any major issues to be aware? I don’t see any in the threads.
— Is 2011+ Audio a direct fit for Bluetooth streaming?

I hope to see myself in one of these soon.

Last edited by indominus; 05-19-18 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-21-18, 09:28 PM
Adziu
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The 08's don't have issues other than the digitizer possibly going bad and the valley plate issue (coolant leak). Some models came without navi and bluetooth but they are hard to come across. Good luck on your purchase. You'll love it once you drive one. And as for the differential part the E-LSD is ok since it can lock going in a straight line.
Old 05-22-18, 02:02 PM
GS430FTW
Rookie

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by indominus
Hello from Michigan,
I have been lurking the F pages recently as I might buy an F in the near future. I have a 2014 WRX hatch ( slightly modded) and sadly have been developing some nerve compression issues ( IT professional), and find it a bit uncomfortable driving . I love my car, have driven stick shift most of my life . The feeling of nailing a perfect rev-matched downshift or a hard corner heel-toe is just very satisfying. I always thought I wouldn’t be caught dead in an automatic . But I feel it may be time to change that notion. I was always of the opinion that DCTs are the true performance automatics until I read about IS-F and its direct-shift 8 speed. I’m impressed with the car’s capabilities ( so far from reading and watching reviews). Plus I love RWD V8s ( owned one at a certain point )

I have eyed a couple of low mile 08 ISFs. I know they have their downs ( no LSD, no bluetooth streaming, no HIDs, stiffer ride). I have read this thread and got some information already. However, some clarifications

— Is the Direct-Shift behavior any different from 08s and the newer model years? Is there any lag in the older models or they shift rapidly as well with rev-matched downshifts?
— I read the transmission fluid is lifetime . But this being an 11 year old car, should I research into flushing it?
— How stiff is actually the ride, say compared to my WRX (stock suspension with poly bushings)? Any previous rex owners care to chime in?
— From what I have read here, 2012+ wider wheels are a direct fit, and so are the Zachs. Is this correct? Not worried about LSD now as I know I need driver mod before I upgrade the car.
— Being an older and low mileage car, I assume I should look into replacing belts, plugs, coolant?
— Any major issues to be aware? I don’t see any in the threads.
— Is 2011+ Audio a direct fit for Bluetooth streaming?

I hope to see myself in one of these soon.
Hi!
"Is the Direct-Shift behavior any different from 08s and the newer model years? To my knowledge the answer is No, and by the way 08 & 09 are quicker than the later models.
08 ISF has HID.
" Being an older and low mileage car, I assume I should look into replacing belts, plugs, coolant." Regular Maintenance per owner's manual, Spark plugs to be replaced @ 60K.
"Any major issues to be aware? I don’t see any in the threads." Water pump, Exhaust Manifold Cracks , especially the passenger side, and Coolant leak around Valley plate.
Old 05-24-18, 09:15 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Make sure the car comes with the stock airbox or at least some known aftermarket intake.

The car may not run right (or lose power) if someone put some crappy intake on it. Stock airbox assembly is $700 from Lexus.

I had a 2004 STi with the stock suspension, compared to my 2013 ISF, it was like riding on bricks, very very stiff. The 08's are a little stiffer without the updated suspension.

Try to find a one owner car that wasn't beaten up, check all the records.
Old 05-24-18, 12:11 PM
John12ISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by indominus
Hello from Michigan,
I have been lurking the F pages recently as I might buy an F in the near future. I have a 2014 WRX hatch ( slightly modded) and sadly have been developing some nerve compression issues ( IT professional), and find it a bit uncomfortable driving .

I have a 2012, and the increased comfort was one of the selling points for me insisting on finding a newer ISF. If comfort is REALLY an important factor for you, then you really just need to go and test drive it. For what I'm guessing you would pay for a very low mileage 2008 (<50k miles), you could find a 2011 with 70k-90k miles on it for only a bit more $..

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Try to find a one owner car that wasn't beaten up, check all the records.
Old 05-25-18, 02:00 PM
vertex16
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Where in Michigan are you? I'm in the Ann Arbor area. I have a '10, which is the firmer suspension setup. If you're not too far away, I'd be more than happy to take you for a spin so you get a feel for the pre-softening.