IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How often do you resurface your brake rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-18, 09:46 PM
xaker777
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How often do you resurface your brake rotors?

So I got new Reybestos front rotors from rockauto and Textar pads (my old rotors were out of spec) and within couple thousand miles I had to resurface my rotors. I did used new break pads at first and second time I just kept using them, (just sandpaper them a bit). Well now it seems I have to resurface them again.... I don't really brake hard, I did raced brand new merc c43 amg couple weeks ago, and i went up to 125 and than 1/4 miles I had for braking. I didn't feel any diff at braking until today...

symptoms: while braking steerling wheel vibrates left to right...

my question is: how often does something like this happens to you? Is it common ? Like I said above it's reybestos and textar pads. Should be OEM set up.
Old 05-20-18, 10:27 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,340 Posts

You should never need to turn rotors. Rotors don't warp. If they develop uneven high spots from pad deposits, rebedding them should fix the issue and apply an even layer of pad material to the rotor.

Lou
Old 05-20-18, 10:48 PM
xaker777
Driver

I'll follow the rebedding procedure from reybestos website and follow up... I am not happy about it...
Old 05-21-18, 07:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
You should never need to turn rotors. Rotors don't warp. If they develop uneven high spots from pad deposits, rebedding them should fix the issue and apply an even layer of pad material to the rotor.

Lou
+1. There is something else wrong. I am not convinced the Raybestos rotors are the same as OEM. I never had brake noises until I put on Raybestos rotors. I will be putting new rotors on soon and will know for sure if they were the root cause of my issues for sure, but right now I can't say I am convinced they are the same.
Old 05-21-18, 10:52 PM
xaker777
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
+1. There is something else wrong. I am not convinced the Raybestos rotors are the same as OEM. I never had brake noises until I put on Raybestos rotors. I will be putting new rotors on soon and will know for sure if they were the root cause of my issues for sure, but right now I can't say I am convinced they are the same.
well I did had to brake at red light after racing Merc and waited for cars to pass by (I was turning right).... could be what Lou said, pad compound melted and stuck to the rotor. Now thinking about it after car wash I did notice "print" of pad on the front rotor.

Well haven't drove my car today, took my truck to work, still haven't rebed the brakes. I'll try see what it does. Don't want to shave away precious braking power.

Last edited by xaker777; 05-21-18 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-24-18, 09:24 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Alignment?
Old 05-24-18, 09:38 PM
xaker777
Driver

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Alignment?
not sure how I can relate this to alignment, the car doesn't pull to sides when driving, and after I resurfacing issue goes away, but each time I race someone and have to stop after i have this issue coming back. I read somewhere that's the worse thing to do, (compound thing and all) but hey we have performance car and we should be able to brake fast and not carry immediate consequences...
Last time it got so bad I was taking long road on freeway to avoid braking on lights to avoid shaking my sterling wheel like a pepper shaker...
Old 05-25-18, 09:11 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

What pads are you running? Sounds like they're not even up to OEM spec.
Old 05-25-18, 10:25 AM
xaker777
Driver

What pads are you running? Sounds like they're not even up to OEM spec.
textar pads. Front and rear.
Old 05-25-18, 11:54 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by xaker777

textar pads. Front and rear.
You need something that won't melt on a single high speed stop. Textar is not OEM, Jurid is OEM and they don't melt like that. If you are seeing a pad outline, you're getting uneven pad transfer on the rotor. Those pads are not up to what you are asking them to do.
Old 05-25-18, 01:26 PM
xaker777
Driver

You need something that won't melt on a single high speed stop. Textar is not OEM, Jurid is OEM and they don't melt like that. If you are seeing a pad outline, you're getting uneven pad transfer on the rotor. Those pads are not up to what you are asking them to do.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...to-brembo.html

remember this thread? I read it before buying my pads... figured they could serve the purpose, I'll try to rebed my brakes.. still haven't driven my lex, so much for daily. Since they are soft enough to melt I am pretty sure they didn't damage my rotors.
Old 05-25-18, 04:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I remember that thread. I never did get Textars, I ended up with HC+800s, now Carbotech XP12s. I don't mind the noise and love the very soft pedal for very strong braking.
Old 05-26-18, 08:40 AM
xaker777
Driver

I remember that thread. I never did get Textars, I ended up with HC+800s, now Carbotech XP12s. I don't mind the noise and love the very soft pedal for very strong braking.
so last night I drove to sacramento and while driving I had some 60-20 braking done, which should take care of bedding.
On final stops it felt like bad rotors and than other times like it was good, bad roads? Maybe.... I am leaning towards buying dial indicator to see if I have issue with particular side or two of my rotors are messed up...
Old 05-26-18, 07:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Did they scuff your rotors in a circular pattern with garnet paper after turning them on the brake lathe? If they didn't, they're pretty much ruined. Turning creates a groove like a record that causes the pads to move up and down under braking forcing them to engage and disengage from the braking process. I would never turn a rotor. I would use centerless grinder to resurface them. It's how they all come from the factory, but it's too expensive a method for most brake & muffler shops to use.
Old 06-06-18, 06:45 AM
rjfjdudj
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Caliper sticking? It may not always be apparent. I had that happen on my IS300. 3 shops put on new brakes 3 shops failed they even showed me when they took the caliper off that it wasn't stuck..The fourth shop found out that it was intermittent..and wasn't happeneng all the time.

Quick Reply: How often do you resurface your brake rotors?