FIGS LCA Bushings Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-18, 11:57 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default FIGS LCA Bushings Review

Hi all,

I installed the FIGS 90 LCA bushings over the weekend. Install wasn't so bad after getting the first side done. It really helped to loosen up the lower shock bolt to get a little extra leverage when removing the old LCA bushing.

My review - I have 101,000 miles on my 2010 ISF and this was MUCH needed. Not only does the car drive better, it doesn't feel like its going to fall apart when hitting bumps and ridges in the road. Most of the noises have gone away and even some of the vibrations I had on the highway are now gone. I can tell when braking the car doesn't shift around like it used to especially over uneven pavement. The steering feels tighter (not heavier) and when you go over bumps it doesn't want to knock the steering all over the place. Someone else mentioned it feels almost BMW-like which I can agree. For me the drive difference is night and day. I feel a little more road in the seat of my pants, but no extra noise or harshness.

If you guys haven't done this mod, this is probably the best $300 you'll spend on your car especially for you guys in the higher mileage.
The following 3 users liked this post by PatrickISF:
FIGS (10-01-18), Jwconeil (10-18-18), lorenr (05-22-18)
Old 05-21-18, 07:07 PM
EdsISF1021
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any reason why you didn't do the RR racing bushings?
Old 05-21-18, 07:30 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I 100% agree with this review. I put them on my IS-F and liked the improvment so much i bought another set for my IS250. I think its one of the best dollar:improvement mods you can do.
-R
The following 2 users liked this post by FNSSESPORT:
lorenr (05-22-18), PatrickISF (05-21-18)
Old 05-21-18, 07:37 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by EdsISF1021
Any reason why you didn't do the RR racing bushings?
Other than the fact that FIGS looks prettier? No real reason - it just seems FIGS had these around longer and I just decided to buy these over RR Racing. I'm sure RR Racing makes just as much of a superior product as FIGS, they both do what they intend to do.
The following users liked this post:
James7 (05-21-18)
Old 05-21-18, 08:27 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

I agree with your review. I had the exact same reaction and symptoms.
Old 09-25-18, 09:52 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Just ordered mine last week, can't wait to see the difference! Spent quite a lot of time comparing them to the USRS, but ride quality has always been my priority so I took a chance with these.
My 08 has 79k miles on BC+swift setup 14/10, so I also ordered some bump stop spacers hoping to help the softer spring rather than immediately upgrading to different coils/spring rate. We'll see how it goes.
Old 09-27-18, 08:54 AM
Angrycmy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
Just ordered mine last week, can't wait to see the difference! Spent quite a lot of time comparing them to the USRS, but ride quality has always been my priority so I took a chance with these.
My 08 has 79k miles on BC+swift setup 14/10, so I also ordered some bump stop spacers hoping to help the softer spring rather than immediately upgrading to different coils/spring rate. We'll see how it goes.
Your going to love the change! I changed mine around 70k and the steering feeling is so much better. I have a very similar setup to you with the BC’s just a 16/12 setup
FIGS (10-16-18)
Old 10-15-18, 11:01 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Been about two weeks and a few hundred miles now. Can confirm I love the car that much more! It was much flatter this time around at autocross and on the highway the car seems more planted and less tendency to swerve under braking or when hitting bumps. Also not sure if it's with the combination of the bump stop spacers, but every time I hit anything now the sound and harshness feels more under the car as if the chassis is absorbing it, rather than the whole body of the car and my seat(and butt!) included. Definitely made for a comfier and well composed ride. Great mod and no additional harshness either.
FIGS (10-16-18)
Old 10-15-18, 03:45 PM
pdxgs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got the bushings and need to do this. Does anyone have the torque specs for the bolts?
Old 10-15-18, 06:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

It's all here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ml#post5449816
Old 10-16-18, 04:53 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I also have the FIGS bushings and concur with everything that's been said here.
Old 10-18-18, 05:20 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

I have RR racing on my F. The 350 will get figs, simply because I want to try both companies. This mod and headers are the best mods for these cars IMO.
Old 10-18-18, 06:10 AM
yemgi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have installed the Figs 90D on my 2010 2 months ago with KW coilovers and after over 2000 miles I can confirm that it does greatly improve the steering feeling and the handling of the car on bumps. I went for Figs because my car is for road use and I felt they were more suited than the track oriented RR ones. When the IS-F will replace my current track car I would probably switch them for RR but currently they are just perfect for my needs.
Old 10-19-18, 04:57 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by yemgi
I have installed the Figs 90D on my 2010 2 months ago with KW coilovers and after over 2000 miles I can confirm that it does greatly improve the steering feeling and the handling of the car on bumps. I went for Figs because my car is for road use and I felt they were more suited than the track oriented RR ones. When the IS-F will replace my current track car I would probably switch them for RR but currently they are just perfect for my needs.
That was my reasoning as well. Both companies are fantastic, though, and produce amazing parts for our cars.
Old 08-17-20, 11:54 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 268 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Another Figs Front LCA Bushing Review

I installed the Figs Front LCA bushing #2 90D kit last weekend.

Installation was done on jackstands in my garage. Torque specs per Lobuxracer’s link above.
Some notes:
1) Front wheels should be removed. Allows application of leverage to LCA to nudge it down and aid removal/installation of bushing brackets.
2) I did not loosen the lower shock bolt to get extra leverage like OP @PatrickISF mentions in his review above. Would have tried this if needed. Used a pry bar between the subframe and LCA and removed/replaced bracket without much trouble. (There is a right way and wrong way to use the pry bar here – if the sharp end is gouging the soft Aluminum subframe, that's the wrong way…flip the bar over. :-)
3) I found this how-to video to be the most helpful.
4) Impact/pneumatic tools are helpful for bolt removal, especially the 150ft-lb monster that anchors into the subframe. It would probably be easier to use hand tools on a lift, but on jackstands with a floor jack having only an 18in lift height, the leverage is all wrong. Torquing everything up to spec is a good enough oblique core workout, no need to do it twice each side.
5) A 0.5in drive swivel adapter is helpful for accessing the bushing nut (83ft-lb rating). Again, this might be easier on a lift, but on my back on the garage floor, the angles were all wrong without an adapter.
6) I removed the entire transmission aero cover, rather than disconnecting just the 4x 10mm bolts at the front end and dealing with it hitting me in the face repeatedly. In doing so I realized that one of the two-piece plastic nut/washer-type clips on the rear end was already broken. Added this to list of obscure OEM clips needing replacement…
7) The 17mm bolt on the inboard side of the bushing bracket threads into a nut which lies on top of the subframe. A 17mm box end wrench is necessary to hold the nut during removal and replacement of this bolt. Because of the angle, lack of line-of-sight, and torque rating (63lb-ft), I would not trust a 12pt wrench here, too easy to round it off. Recommend 6pt.
8) I cleaned some minor corrosion off of bolt threads using a wire brush wheel on my cordless drill.

Key tools, links to ones I used:
a) Impact-rated universal joint socket
swivel swivel
b) Pry
bar bar
c) Impact
sockets sockets
d) Any 6-point 17mm box end wrench.

Figs and worn OEM bushings, nut side up.

Figs and worn OEM bushings, bevel side up.

Right-side LCA, bushing removed.

Left-side Figs bushing installed, with transmission aero cover re-installed, shown at lower right.

Post-installation impressions from a test drive on my “NVH reference route” with broken pavement and sealant strips, mostly straight but with some curves and 55mph speed limit. Sharp impacts are heard more than before, but not felt. Absolutely no hint of the classic NVH faux paus (rear view mirror vibrating, lowered window rattling in frame, dash buzzing, etc). Damping seems strangely better. Turn-in response is crisper, more confident, less sloshy. Steering effort has not changed, but wheel feedback has, there is more road texture in the steering wheel, in a pleasant and well-damped sort of way. Composure under braking on broken pavement is much better.

Extremely pleased with ease of installation and the results!

Last edited by ChpEng; 08-18-20 at 12:06 AM. Reason: fixed links, again, and gave up
The following 4 users liked this post by ChpEng:
jadeboy (10-12-22), LexoticJ (10-27-21), lobuxracer (08-18-20), LSpho (11-28-20)