Search this Thread

Old 06-23-18, 07:24 PM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Alignment! IS F

After

Before

Just like to share my alignment check after a while, yes it was that bad. Make sure you get an alignment when you install coilovers and camber arms!

- Still need to tweak the height to be even all sides..
No corner balancing yet.. still going to get some mods
Old 06-23-18, 07:35 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Looks like you need to adjust your subframe.
Old 06-24-18, 05:10 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

It's standard to have an alignment done after any type of front end change(s) and specifically after any suspension changes, no doubt.
Old 06-24-18, 08:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

If you install aftermarket adjustable suspension bits, it is imperative that you get an alignment unless you want your car to handle like crap. Adjustable springs mean you need to check ride height on all four corners and adjust until you have left/right and front/rear balance. Most shops don't even think about doing this, but like setting proper air pressure in all four tires, it is critical to getting your alignment set correctly. Ideally, you'd have four scales and set your cross weights with you in the car, but again, this is something only a race shop will know how to do. Just getting the ride height right will go a long way toward the car handling its best.

Glad you see the value in getting this checked now. It's not optional if you want your car to handle and not wear through tires like they're free.
Old 06-25-18, 06:44 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Lance, will any shops in Atlanta actually adjust the subframe to get the caster settings back in the green? Mine is off by a hair. Kauffman said they won't adjust the subframe to get it back in line.
Old 06-25-18, 02:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I don't know for sure. I haven't had an issue with it, and if I did, I'd just fix it myself. The NTB at GA-141 near McGinnis Ferry in Johns Creek is actually pretty good and would likely help you out with this.
Old 06-25-18, 05:57 PM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I don't know for sure. I haven't had an issue with it, and if I did, I'd just fix it myself. The NTB at GA-141 near McGinnis Ferry in Johns Creek is actually pretty good and would likely help you out with this.

Do you think it's worth to have my subframe adjusted with thenamouth of caster I have? I'm not feeling anything abnormal in my canyon drives, and everything currently feels linear. I got the alignment done free, so I could get the car corner balanced soon
Old 06-25-18, 09:10 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I may just deal with it, the arrows are literally just a hair outside of the specs so I'm not really that worried about it. I'm pretty sure it got out of whack doing the Figs LCA bushing install. I'll keep that shop in mind though for the future.
Old 06-25-18, 11:50 PM
67mattbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alignment

I just installed the figs LCA bushings and was under the impression no alignment needed post install. Is that incorrect?
Old 06-26-18, 06:54 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

If you install aftermarket adjustable suspension bits, it is imperative that you get an alignment unless you want your car to handle like crap. Adjustable springs mean you need to check ride height on all four corners and adjust until you have left/right and front/rear balance. Most shops don't even think about doing this, but like setting proper air pressure in all four tires, it is critical to getting your alignment set correctly. Ideally, you'd have four scales and set your cross weights with you in the car, but again, this is something only a race shop will know how to do. Just getting the ride height right will go a long way toward the car handling its best.

Glad you see the value in getting this checked now. It's not optional if you want your car to handle and not wear through tires like they're free.
"But I got to have the coilovers man! Doesn't matter that I don't know how to set them up or have the money to get it corner balanced. I'm not gonna race it, I just wanna be tucked and hella-flush!"

It always blows my mind that people don't understand your simple point, mess with the suspension and you MUST have a comprehensive alignment.
Old 06-26-18, 07:51 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 67mattbo
I just installed the figs LCA bushings and was under the impression no alignment needed post install. Is that incorrect?
Alignment is up to you, but for the cost and peace of mind...I'd still get one done.
Old 06-27-18, 01:14 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

If zero is good base line to start with front toe adjustment and moving increments of 1 to 2 millimeters with + being better for turning in the front what is a good suggestion for rear toe? still on the factory suspension I have slight inner tire wear just like on the front use to be. I no longer have an issue in front since I'm now usimg RR racing LCA + superpro urethane bushings both front and rear. Any suggestions on rear toe? The ISF no longer gets tracked so would the factory camber and Caster settings be okay for street application.
Old 06-27-18, 04:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I run OEM settings for rear and have had no issues. I had to reduce toe-in on my Supra to save the inside edges from 3mm to 1mm. Toyota likes 3mm toe in a lot. This definitely helps the car turn.
Old 06-27-18, 06:34 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

I run OEM settings for rear and have had no issues. I had to reduce toe-in on my Supra to save the inside edges from 3mm to 1mm. Toyota likes 3mm toe in a lot. This definitely helps the car turn.
Thanks for feed back Lance, appreciate it. Just curious what do you have your camber and Caster set for the front?
Old 06-27-18, 06:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I have not done anything to change camber or caster in the front. I wouldn't want to change caster arbitrarily, and we run decent camber straight out of the factory so it's not a place I'm looking for modifications yet.

Quick Reply: Alignment! IS F