IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Buying a 2008 ISF

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-18, 02:21 PM
jlo0109
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pictures posted doesn't show much confidence tbh with all the little imperfections here and there. I also agree with Jwconeil, if you don't care enough to at least give your car a decent wash prior to meeting someone up for a potential sale, you simply just don't give a rat's a$$ about your car... Personally, unless you are just plain desperate or simply don't come across ISF much in your area, I would walk away from this... There are a ton of 08s available. Personally, I would rather dish out 2-3k more for a much more decent shape one without a mismatched hood...
The following users liked this post:
Jwconeil (07-27-18)
Old 07-27-18, 05:56 PM
Keving620
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
That looks really dirty, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad car. Is the hood carbon fiber or just a black gloss oem hood? The wheels haven’t been cleaned in a long time, I have those exact wheels and after almost 2000 miles of driving they weren’t nearly that dirty. You can look at lexus maintenance records for free, just get the vin and register it in an account you make. That’s where I would start. Carfax shows some maintenance records as well.

My concerns:
if you never clean your car, you probably don’t service it regularly.
if your to lazy to clean a car you have up for sale, you probably didn’t service it regularly because your lazy.
random black hood that isn’t carbon, did they just cheap out on a needed replacement? High end cars and cheap skates on maintenance don’t mix well.

if the stuff you see is neglected, you know the stuff you can’t see is neglected. Lexus makes great cars, but it may not have had an easy 100k. How clean is the oil? Is it really dark? Car may need a good maintenance catch up.
Originally Posted by jlo0109
The pictures posted doesn't show much confidence tbh with all the little imperfections here and there. I also agree with Jwconeil, if you don't care enough to at least give your car a decent wash prior to meeting someone up for a potential sale, you simply just don't give a rat's a$$ about your car... Personally, unless you are just plain desperate or simply don't come across ISF much in your area, I would walk away from this... There are a ton of 08s available. Personally, I would rather dish out 2-3k more for a much more decent shape one without a mismatched hood...
You guys are totally right. I guess I'll pass this one up. We were supposed to meet today but our work schedules were conflicting. I'll take that as a sign not to follow through with the purchase. Once I get back to the mainland I'll be on the prowl. Thanks for everyone's input. Hopefully one day I can be a regular in this forum.

Last edited by Keving620; 07-27-18 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 07-27-18, 06:11 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Stick around, a few of us bought ours on this site from other members, including me and another recent member with a beautiful grey exterior red interior 13. Watch the classifieds and get to know the platform. It’s an amazing car. You will find your unicorn! When you do, buy it ASAP before it slips away. You can’t hesitate on a clean ISF.

you can even post a want to buy thread on here. That’s what he did.
Old 07-27-18, 06:12 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it’s at least worth looking at it and driving it. It’s gonna be really hard to find a usb isf in Hawaii, let alone anywhere in unmolested condition. Get a ppi done and see what needs to be addressed. Worst case you low ball the guy and justify it with what you had concerns over.
Old 07-27-18, 06:22 PM
Keving620
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today was really the last day I could see it. I'll be in school for the next 30 days and another 30 days in Alaska. I'm sure it won't be there when I get back, and if it is then there's really issues with it.
Old 07-27-18, 06:25 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Keving620
Today was really the last day I could see it. I'll be in school for the next 30 days and another 30 days in Alaska. I'm sure it won't be there when I get back, and if it is then there's really issues with it.
Wasnt meant to be!
Old 07-27-18, 06:31 PM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
Don't forget the infamous inner tire wear issue - replace LCA bushings/toe links at high mileage.

Optional: replace motor mount bushings when replacing the headers that will inevitably crack at 100K miles or so.
^^ true I forgot about that never happen to mines because I changed them out for sikky headers and didn’t know about the LCA bushings and toe links thanks for the info
Old 07-28-18, 08:18 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

There is a Like New USB 2009 that just popped up on eBay for 36k .it has 20k easy easy miles and perfect maintenance.. Offer the guy 33 and use the 3k difference for shipping. I know that car it was an older chap who owned it followed by and older chap and they drove it like a cream puff. It's absolutely mint and in my opinion a bargain at 33k
Old 07-28-18, 02:13 PM
Toprawman
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

Don't Buy without a PPI!!!
Old 07-28-18, 03:51 PM
Jwconeil

The inner tire wear is cheap and easy to fix. Not really a problem.
Old 07-30-18, 08:55 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

The inner tire wear is cheap and easy to fix. Not really a problem.
The cost is relatively low, but it is definitely not one of the more easily identified issue without jacking your car up. My front tires were chewed up on the inside with only about 8-9K miles on them and I did not really notice anything odd (noise, handling, etc)...I only noticed the issue when I randomly turned the wheels all the way to one direction when I was taking a picture from an angle.

Needless to say, this is one of those inexpensive yet potentially costly problems.
Old 07-30-18, 08:59 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott610

^^ true I forgot about that never happen to mines because I changed them out for sikky headers and didn’t know about the LCA bushings and toe links thanks for the info
Check out FIG's complete lowering kit to see what select components you need:

http://www.shopfigs.com/v3/CAT-LEXUS...SMEGAEssential
Old 08-01-18, 10:35 AM
Jwconeil

You don’t need to check for the inner tire wear issue... just assume it exists. They all have the problem and they all need better LCA bushings. It’s worthwhile to check tire wear just so you can add in the expense of new tires if needed.

my 350 even needs the bushings. Every 2is needs them, unless already replaced by previous owner. Silly Lexus and their soft bushings are to blame.
Old 08-01-18, 12:04 PM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

What do you when buying an IS F,

Look to see if the valley plate has been serviced,
the water pump is replaced
headers replaced - ticking sound will occur if not from leak
Sticky Dashboard replaced
Rotors& Pads replaced

Make sure the underbody isn't all broken, this affects your MPG and airflow drastically.

Oh yeah... Get the OEMS back... IMO Vossens and not as good as BBS's

^ These are the most expensive things that need repair on the IS F by far, other than that it looks pretty sweet.
If possible I'd check for condensation build up in the headlights if possible, these AFS units are expensive,

If any of these are damaged or noticed, try to get a deal off quoted for the service, it's just a pita to deal with.

Last edited by OneFastF; 08-01-18 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 08-03-18, 10:25 AM
MGallagher
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can look at lexus maintenance records for free, just get the vin and register it in an account you make.
Sweet! Thanks for the heads up on this!