Search this Thread

Old 08-06-18, 09:50 AM
bmurakami
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
You've owned this "F" since you were NINE

Lou
Lol, passed down from my dad, keeping it in the family and just putting as many miles on it as we can instead of selling.
Old 08-06-18, 12:57 PM
bmurakami
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Gotta love it when the father and son have a same love of cars.

NorCal roads and the fog can be brutal. I'd suggest coilovers and a good fog light output. We frequent up north with family often, so can understand how scarce it is to find an IS F there. I'd say hit up a Lexus meet- there's bound to be at least one attending.

But in regards to $350 for upgraded headlights, you're most likely looking at aftermarket and not factory upgrades. There have been issues with signals, wiring, and even fitment at times. Used headlights (LED strip) will fall in the 1k-2k range, so while it's not a cheap modification, it does a lot to make the car look a lot newer.
Fog light upgrades are definitely on the list of changes, know any good aftermarket headlight companies to buy from?
Old 08-06-18, 01:05 PM
bmurakami
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
Your ISF comes with HID headlights/bulbs along with AFS feature(moves left right and up and down while driving). Replacing them with $300 halogen will lead to much worse light output at night, or with an HID kit inside light splattering all over the road and still bad output. Many have also said the aftermarket headlights have LED's go out, condensate, or have other quality issues after a few weeks.
The only ones worth upgrading to are OEM 2011+ HID, or Depo brand HID which are $1k on eBay, and don't come with some additional components like bulb covers, bulbs, ballasts, and some wiring. Unless you thoroughly research and want to tinker with them, I'd leave them alone. Taillights however almost all have great reviews. SpecD or Vland taillights go a long way to updating the cars rear end and those don't seem to have quality issues, especially if you add just a pinch of extra silicone along the edges. Honestly not needed, but I sleep better lol.

As far as other cheap upgrades, I'd start with tint, blacking out the rear emblem with dip and grill/roof/spoiler/etc with gloss black wrap, muffler delete/used exhaust, painting the Brembo's, and lip/diffuser/side skirts. Front lip especially so that you don't scrape that low bumper. Side skirts can have issues with becoming wavy after a few months due to the exhaust temperatures, so if you install make sure to use plenty of screws, or save up for a better/stronger CF style. Better looking and nicer offset wheels will go a long way, but minimum $2k with tires so probably out of your plans for now. If you really hate the headlights you can try to have a smoked vinyl overlay with light cutouts applied like I did(pics on this forum and on IG @russiancarguy . Springs I'd stay away from as they have a tendency to ride rougher and it will make your stock wheels look worse with how sunk in they are even at stock height. Cheapest coils I'd do are $1200 BC Racing+swift.

Honestly, I'd just pay the $40-50 to go autox and learn the car and it's limits on a safe course and enjoy the car for what it is. I can't imagine owing a car this powerful at 17 but good luck to you and keep us updated!
My first change will probably come this weekend, thinking of painting the calipers. Next will probably be wrapping all the chrome on the car and changing the white carbon on the inside to black, just wrapping instead of having to buy new pieces👍🏻 I was thinking of getting a used front splitter and side skirts but to save the wallet is anything does go wrong with them. Maybe i’ll keep the headlights and just get better fog lights. Although i like the vlad taillights, i was gonna keep them stock as i like them the way they are. When it comes to sound and things like that i was thinking of holding off for not. although it isn’t as loud as i wouldnlike it i’m trying to keep its reliability as high as i can and so i’m gonna try my best not to mess with the undersides of the car and pay for shops to weld on new mufflers and saw them off. Just wondering if i should do gloss black for the carbon on the outside just because the car is mica granite which isn’t really a black, but in the sun is grey. not sure what would look best so needing a couple ideas.
Old 08-06-18, 01:07 PM
bmurakami
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Another option for covering chrome bits is Plasti-dip. It's cheap, and it's pretty easy to remove if you're not happy with the outcome.

-Mike

Thinking of going this route but with wrap instead, i like the chrom badging for now but i’m going to wrap the chrom outlines on the rest of the car. not sure if i want gloss black or another color since the car is granite mica and tends to be a different color in the sun
Old 08-06-18, 11:09 PM
xaker777
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bmurakami

Fog light upgrades are definitely on the list of changes, know any good aftermarket headlight companies to buy from?
2014 isf has OEM led fog.
I have morimoto led fog light. Installation took 5 min each side with basic tools. IIRC I paid 120 for both.
Old 08-07-18, 01:52 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFastF
Hi,

I'm 18 owning an IS F 08', don't even bother cheaping out. It's a Lexus, you can't simply drop quality like that, BUT you can buy used parts which I've done

Mods I've done so far:
X Force Varex Exhaust - 1.079 - Pro Installed - 150
Difuser Install - $150 - Major fail fitment incorrect waiting on it
F Sport Rear Sway Bar - $100 - DIY
BC Racing Coilovers - $800
WedsSport SA-10R 18x9.5 +38 Squared W
RS3 Hankooks 255/35/R18 - 1,400$
Arkym Diffuiser - $250 - fail didn't fit
Tint 3M - $125

I can say I spent around 3,xxx roughly on the car for just mods. I'm done for now, I got college to pay off also need to keep money for maintenance. I'm almost at 60k, and instead of taking it to the dealer I'm setting up a garage to do DIY work for the car. Although, my uncle works at Lexus so I get free alignments and such hehe.
pics of wedsports on car please and thank you.
Old 08-07-18, 02:13 PM
geero
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

take a snap shot if your dads credit card, call up josh or louie and ask for 'Tom's' diffuser front and rear and also their side skirts. you're welcome
Old 08-08-18, 08:25 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by geero
take a snap shot if your dads credit card, call up josh or louie and ask for 'Tom's' diffuser front and rear and also their side skirts. you're welcome
You can't get any cheaper than this haha!
Old 08-08-18, 10:53 AM
seyelabrev
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Where in NorCal are you located? If you don't mind used parts, I'm selling my Bayson R front lip or Arkym front lip (damaged and needs to be repaired). I am located in the Bay Area.
Old 08-08-18, 03:07 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Toms and cheap have never been in the same sentence before. I do personally feel that it’s worth saving for quality parts on an F. That’s why I’m saving for Volks instead of enkeis.
Old 08-08-18, 03:16 PM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Toms and cheap have never been in the same sentence before. I do personally feel that it’s worth saving for quality parts on an F. That’s why I’m saving for Volks instead of enkeis.

True. Mann up save up, or even go used... For Ref to your volks +38 Offset will clear.. Also back on track, you need to save up. I fell in the same track and screwed myself over. Quality is never cheap.
Old 08-08-18, 07:25 PM
bmurakami
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by seyelabrev
Where in NorCal are you located? If you don't mind used parts, I'm selling my Bayson R front lip or Arkym front lip (damaged and needs to be repaired). I am located in the Bay Area.
If you’re comfortable just shoot me an email at bmurakami7@gmail.com!
Old 08-10-18, 06:37 AM
geero
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

buy nice and not twice has always been my motto