IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What oil is everyone using for their ISF change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-19, 01:35 PM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So lately the engine ticking noise on my car (when the engine is cold) has been pretty loud. (see thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-help-22.html)
I live in the most northern city in North America with a population over 1million.. it gets cold here, and I drive my ISF year round (like -35*c cold)

I'm thinking of trying 0w30 for the winter...Easier cold starts, and lower viscosity when cold may increase the oil flow to the hydraulic tensioner that knocks when cold..... thoughts?
Old 11-03-19, 02:48 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKLBL
So lately the engine ticking noise on my car (when the engine is cold) has been pretty loud. (see thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-help-22.html)
I live in the most northern city in North America with a population over 1million.. it gets cold here, and I drive my ISF year round (like -35*c cold)

I'm thinking of trying 0w30 for the winter...Easier cold starts, and lower viscosity when cold may increase the oil flow to the hydraulic tensioner that knocks when cold..... thoughts?
Check out Liqui Moly CeraTec, awesome stuff. Many of us use it in German cars to eliminate ticking sound. I have it in my Cayenne as it prevents cylinder scoring (which is most common in harsh cold climate regions).
I am typically skeptical, but this stuff is truly amazing, first hand experience. Read up on it. I have not run it in my ISF, wondering if anyone does.

Last edited by Rossi; 11-03-19 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-03-19, 03:52 PM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rossi
Check out Liqui Moly CeraTec, awesome stuff. Many of us use it in German cars to eliminate ticking sound. I have it in my Cayenne as it prevents cylinder scoring (which is most common in harsh cold climate regions).
I am typically skeptical, but this stuff is truly amazing, first hand experience. Read up on it. I have not run it in my ISF, wondering if anyone does.
Thanks for the suggestion, looks like I can get that stuff on amazon prime, so I may have to give it a try
Old 11-03-19, 03:59 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion, looks like I can get that stuff on amazon prime, so I may have to give it a try
You will need two bottles with 5.0L V8, you must shake it good before use, add it ONLY when your oil is at operating temperature, then you want to drive some to mix it really good. Make sure you don’t overfill your crankcase!!

Last edited by Rossi; 11-03-19 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-03-19, 10:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,021 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Just put Renewable Lubricants PCMO SHP 5w-30 in it. It completely cured the ticking I was having with Mobil 1.
The following 4 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
1wrenchguy (11-07-19), Bast59 (11-04-19), lawrence1 (11-04-19), WhyHateTho (08-29-21)
Old 11-04-19, 03:51 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

My personal experience has been that with Pennzoil Platinum Ultra, I do not notice any ticking. I run Pennzoil Platinum (not Ultra) for winter storage, and notice the ticking immediately at first startup following the oil change.
Old 11-04-19, 04:30 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Just did my second oil change with the RLI 5w30 PCMO. I didn't send it for analysis but everything looked great and the engine is as quiet as ever at 70K miles.

Unfortunately, the shipping charges to CA are a killer and I may go back to something with better local availability going forward, or switch to Amsoil since I can get it for quite a bit cheaper. I'm paying $13+/qt with shipping for this RLI and I can get Amsoil locally for about $10/qt. That makes it a less attractive proposition for those of us in CA.
The following 2 users liked this post by lawrence1:
Positron (11-04-19), supersonic (11-05-19)
Old 11-07-19, 08:12 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by lawrence1
Just did my second oil change with the RLI 5w30 PCMO. I didn't send it for analysis but everything looked great and the engine is as quiet as ever at 70K miles.

Unfortunately, the shipping charges to CA are a killer and I may go back to something with better local availability going forward, or switch to Amsoil since I can get it for quite a bit cheaper. I'm paying $13+/qt with shipping for this RLI and I can get Amsoil locally for about $10/qt. That makes it a less attractive proposition for those of us in CA.
I bought a 5 gallon bucket on Amazon for $159 with free shipping. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That works out to less than $8 a quart.
Old 11-07-19, 03:43 PM
1wrenchguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Just put Renewable Lubricants PCMO SHP 5w-30 in it. It completely cured the ticking I was having with Mobil 1.
No F'ing way!... That's great news. I've been running M1 0w-40 and I get ticking only when hot. I'll have to look into it. I'm sure there's info on in on BOTHG...
Congrats Lobux.
Old 11-08-19, 12:04 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I bought a 5 gallon bucket on Amazon for $159 with free shipping. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That works out to less than $8 a quart.
You’re the man! I looked at amazon pricing on this before but never for the 5 gal bucket. The gallon pricing is about the same as direct from RLI but the bucket comes out much cheaper. I’ll need to get a bucket next time. How do you handle the whole bucket thing? Pour in a smaller bottle or marked container and then into the crankcase or do you use a pump to pump from the bucket directly? If so, how do you measure how much is going in?
Old 11-08-19, 02:38 PM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Amazon Synthetic Oil. On all my cars.
Old 11-09-19, 06:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by lawrence1
You’re the man! I looked at amazon pricing on this before but never for the 5 gal bucket. The gallon pricing is about the same as direct from RLI but the bucket comes out much cheaper. I’ll need to get a bucket next time. How do you handle the whole bucket thing? Pour in a smaller bottle or marked container and then into the crankcase or do you use a pump to pump from the bucket directly? If so, how do you measure how much is going in?
I bought a 5 gallon bucket caddy from Chemical Brothers, and a 5 gallon pail pump from Harbor Freight. I use the pump to fill a gallon container, then transfer to the engine. I do two gallons, start the engine to purge the air from the oil filter replacement, then let it run about 5 minutes, or go for a short trip - like Starbucks 2 miles away - and when I get back, I do final adjustment of the oil level so its at the top mark on the stick.
The following users liked this post:
MileHIFcar (11-10-19)
Old 12-23-19, 04:42 PM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

cross posted.. but I have been running 0w30 and it has eliminated all the abnormal engine noise at cold startups. And this is with outside temps around -10*C
Old 01-05-20, 04:06 PM
CSpecISF
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Redline 5w30 for now, heavier weight in the summer. OEM Toyota filters.
Old 01-05-20, 08:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by CSpecISF
Redline 5w30 for now, heavier weight in the summer. OEM Toyota filters.
Why heavier weight in the summer in a liquid cooled engine? You just want to lose more power to pumping losses?

Operating temperature of our engines is pretty stable unless you're tracking, and even then it's never a good idea to run heavier oil unless you are seeking higher operating temperatures.

Quick Reply: What oil is everyone using for their ISF change?