IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F to a C7 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-18, 01:13 PM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd be lying if I was shocked by these answers but Im used to forums being biased about their manufacturers that build the car. This car outmatches the old Z06's laptimes at VIR at 2:53. Blows the F cars out of the water, yes even the LFA.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ry-car-feature

@ISF4life I am gonna start the search this winter but if I cant find a C7 in my price I'll wait next spring when the C8 is announced to bag a better deal.

Last edited by ninten5; 09-11-18 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-11-18, 01:25 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What’s your budget? I don’t see that listed anywhere. Nothing wrong with the vette, but they are a bit played out and common IMO. While they do offer a decent bang for your buck, I think a viper or a GT350 would be a more unique option. And to top that they will actually have decent resale value, unlike a vette which will depreciate much faster.
Old 09-11-18, 01:49 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

How about this?

there are some high powered cars out right now that are about to drop in value as subsequent models come out. Wait a year or 18 months and pick up something real special or fast. There are a few supercharged v8 cars, as well as the 350gt, all about to drop in price.

We arent really biased on corvettes, I think every forum but a vette forum would give these responses. People just view them as common sports cars. Since we all drive rare sports cars here, we especially view them as common. Straight line speed is fine, but a car is an entire package. Just my two cents.

when I bore of my F, I’ll probably buy rarer wheels and put a spoiler on it and make it stick out more than it already does. I used to go through cars all the time. Now I own two 2is cars and plan to stay that way for 10-15 years, until a house is paid for and I can buy an even cooler car.

then I’ll buy a vette (just kidding)...
Old 09-11-18, 03:09 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ninten5
I'd be lying if I was shocked by these answers but Im used to forums being biased about their manufacturers that build the car. This car outmatches the old Z06's laptimes at VIR at 2:53. Blows the F cars out of the water, yes even the LFA.

@ISF4life I am gonna start the search this winter but if I cant find a C7 in my price I'll wait next spring when the C8 is announced to bag a better deal.
Too bad you can't post his in RCF forum. You think you see bias until you step into that section lol.
The following users liked this post:
Weapon F (11-10-18)
Old 09-11-18, 03:46 PM
MGallagher
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not that people are being biased, you're just comparing two cars that shouldn't be compared to each other. I'm assuming everyone that bought an IS F bought it because they wanted a sporty, yet practical car. That's why I bought one. Someone else mentioned that the only thing these two cars have in common is 4 wheels and a v8. He's absolutely right about that. I have no problem with a Corvette, I actually almost bought a C5/C6 Z06 a few years ago but couldn't justify it as I already have a two seater that is faster. I have a few friends that have them and bang for the buck they're one of the faster cars you can get in that price range...just very common.

I also don't know where you're going to pick up a C7 in the low 30k range. Lowest I saw was a 2016 for 41xxx.

Either way, it's up to you and don't let any of us sway you. At the end of the day, do what makes you happy...it's your money, not ours.
Old 09-12-18, 07:35 AM
ninten5
Driver

Hey I like feedback, this is a forum after all! I checked out the Gt350s, about $50k. I looked up the GT500s only ones in the low $30k are the 2011 models, way too old of a package, handling probably not up to par. Also checked the cadillac ats-V, still low $40k. RC-F still at $40k. Aston Martin vantage at $37k? Hmmmm.

I have a self imposed limit on price lol so I can wheeler dealer my way through a large assortment of cars in my lifetime. I have a dealer connect to get cars for wholesale so I usually dont lose more than 2-3k per transaction after buy/sell. Not bragging, just stating my mindset. I think the 2014-2015 vettes have lost enough that they'll settle at the 30k price for a bit. I'll buy one in the middle of a blizzard if I have to haha
Old 09-12-18, 10:24 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Id go pick up a Lotus Evora.. Exotic, pretty fast, 300-400 hp for a 3,000 lb car Not really something you can daily, it's fast but not scary power like the torque on the Corvettes which can kill you.

Anyways, C7 GS Is fine for the street, ZO6s are just ***** to the walls fast. I'm talking spinning tires in 2nd-3rd gear. If you are looking to get moneys worth, go for a ZO6, in my area the price difference in the used market is small.
Old 09-12-18, 10:26 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey I like feedback, this is a forum after all! I checked out the Gt350s, about $50k. I looked up the GT500s only ones in the low $30k are the 2011 models, way too old of a package, handling probably not up to par. Also checked the cadillac ats-V, still low $40k. RC-F still at $40k. Aston Martin vantage at $37k? Hmmmm.

I have a self imposed limit on price lol so I can wheeler dealer my way through a large assortment of cars in my lifetime. I have a dealer connect to get cars for wholesale so I usually dont lose more than 2-3k per transaction after buy/sell. Not bragging, just stating my mindset. I think the 2014-2015 vettes have lost enough that they'll settle at the 30k price for a bit. I'll buy one in the middle of a blizzard if I have to haha

Do not get an Aston Martin, those things are money fo repair, like most exotics. Even though I stated Lotus Evora, there's other GT4 platforms like the Cayman GTS, GT4. Although you mentioned Corvette so I knew you wanted a large output on hp
Old 09-12-18, 11:10 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 159 Posts

Have you considered a 996 911 turbo? They are holding their prices well and it’s plenty quick for $45k, no IMS to worry about either. 997 would also be nice. I forgot to put that in my earlier post.
Old 09-12-18, 01:23 PM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gone from a 08 ISF to a 15 Stingray. Its hard to compare the 2 since they have completely different purposes. Both are fine vehicles and would recommend the Corvette if that is the type of category vehicle your looking at. I've seen some 14-15 going for mid-high 30s on CorvetteForums in the sale section so prices are dropping but remain steady.

They are not as common as I had originally thought but they are domestic so production will obviously be a lot higher than the F. There are many ways to modify a Vette so that is a bonus if its something that appeals to you. GL with your search.
The following users liked this post:
ninten5 (09-13-18)
Old 09-12-18, 01:48 PM
glerink
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Bro if you're feeling the Corvette get the Corvette, ISF vs Corvette they don't even belong in the same sentence. I love my ISF and probably wont get rid of it anytime soon, but if you ain't looking back at the F when you're walking away from it, time to move on and dump the F, yes reliability and all the pro that come with the Lexus brand might not be the same as Chevy but who cares as long as its fairly new it shouldn't be that bad.

You on a Lexus forum asking if you should exchange for a Vette almost as bad as asking a Lexus salesman what should you buy lol. w.e. your decision is good luck
Old 09-12-18, 01:59 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by glerink
Bro if you're feeling the Corvette get the Corvette, ISF vs Corvette they don't even belong in the same sentence. I love my ISF and probably wont get rid of it anytime soon, but if you ain't looking back at the F when you're walking away from it, time to move on and dump the F, yes reliability and all the pro that come with the Lexus brand might not be the same as Chevy but who cares as long as its fairly new it shouldn't be that bad.

You on a Lexus forum asking if you should exchange for a Vette almost as bad as asking a Lexus salesman what should you buy lol. w.e. your decision is good luck
Exactly ^^^^ to all of that.
Also, what year is the ISF OP has? If it's an 08/09, obviously he'd be going to a much newer technology wise vehicle, which can be a welcomed refresh.... making you enjoy your car more. A later model F with more "features", newer look, etc shouldn't feel far off from a new Vette.
Anyhow, I believe he has enough answers to make his own decision now. But as mentioned numerous of times, hard to replace an F with anything under $30k that's as reliable, luxurious, fast, unique, etc etc. Hell I'd struggle finding a replacement under $50k for the F.

V.
Old 09-12-18, 04:46 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

I would bet a vette is reliable. The LSX is a great engine. Can’t speak for electronics, but OP won’t get stranded, for sure. Only issue I had on mine is leaking valve covers, but that was LS1.
Old 09-13-18, 06:59 AM
ninten5
Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
Have you considered a 996 911 turbo? They are holding their prices well and it’s plenty quick for $45k, no IMS to worry about either. 997 would also be nice. I forgot to put that in my earlier post.
Porches are for people with a stick up their... and they look the same as a 70s porche

Originally Posted by clifftrail
I've gone from a 08 ISF to a 15 Stingray. Its hard to compare the 2 since they have completely different purposes. Both are fine vehicles and would recommend the Corvette if that is the type of category vehicle your looking at. I've seen some 14-15 going for mid-high 30s on CorvetteForums in the sale section so prices are dropping but remain steady.

They are not as common as I had originally thought but they are domestic so production will obviously be a lot higher than the F. There are many ways to modify a Vette so that is a bonus if its something that appeals to you. GL with your search.
Exactly, my reasoning for switching. Ive spent over 3 grand on my mods (listed below) plus wider tires. Anything else to modify will cost significantly more. I can literally buy Z06 parts for the stingray for cheaper prices.

So nothing else for me to check out in the sub 30k price? I will submit my offer to my contact to start the search!
Old 09-13-18, 02:40 PM
zpletcher
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF4life
y settle when u have c8 mid engine coming out starting at 155k lolz , u only live once , once is enough
Yes, C8 rumored to be mid engine. You get into that game. Then what's the C9 like??

When I drive up and park my '66 sting ray big block red convertible , matching numbers car next to the new Corvettes at the Friday night hang out here "Biff Buzby's" n San Antonio;

I say " Darn, I did not know they made Corvettes after 1967" !! And now that I know, I still do not give a crap!! Hee Hee

Quick Reply: IS-F to a C7 corvette