IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model
View Poll Results: Most Quiet Exhaust + Headers?
Borla
31.82%
PPE Dual Mode
40.91%
GReddy
0%
HKS
27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Quietest Exhaust setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-18, 02:41 PM
GaaraOTS
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Quietest Exhaust setup

Hi, Ive been reading and looking through posts regarding exhausts for quite a while but haven't found any specific comparisons from others on each type.
I am looking to upgrade to an aftermarket exhaust + high flow cats + headers to open the system up and let it breathe properly,
but as its my DD, I would like to keep the system quiet like the OEM pipes, and avoid any drone.
I have heard the Borla's can get loud if paired with headers, from people who have heard other setups, what do you recommend?
I am also curious about the PPE Dual Mode setup as well, is it quieter in the closed mode than the Borla?

Last edited by GaaraOTS; 09-16-18 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-16-18, 05:28 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I've only owned the hks so I can't comment on the others. I can tell you that the hks unit has less drone at 2k than the oem exhaust and noticeably louder on throttle. I'm currently on stock headers, catless and no resonator. I can only imagine headers would make the entire system louder. Hope that helps your search.

Old 09-16-18, 09:35 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 206 Likes on 137 Posts

I have Borla with PPE headers and hi-flow cats now and it can get loud. If i were to do it all over again, I would go for the PPE dual mode.
Old 09-16-18, 10:10 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 691 Likes on 608 Posts

The PPE dual mode might be the quietest since it'll have closed valves.

Contact us for pricing on any of the above systems!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 09-16-18, 10:19 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
I have Borla with PPE headers and hi-flow cats now and it can get loud. If i were to do it all over again, I would go for the PPE dual mode.
That's the ticket. I have the PPE Dual Mode exhaust with PPE ELLT Headers. When closed, maybe 1% of the time, it's ultra quiet. When open, it's not that loud either, and not much drone, due to the EL headers. My system made much more noise and drone with UL headers.

Lou
Old 09-16-18, 11:58 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 347 Likes on 219 Posts

I have a 2018 charger 392 and it’s louder bone stock over my ISF with RR intake, PPE headers and a Borla exhaust. I love the sound of my Borla definitely sounds amazing with the headers and when I get on it hard people always tell me it sounds like an exotic car. Cruising definitely doable and not bad at all if you listen to the radio you’ll totally forget about the exhaust. I don’t understand why people want the sound of a Prius while cruising but want a dragster while getting on it hard lol. To me my combo is perfect because we all know eventually your going to have those PPE valves get stuck in a certain position after some years of wear and tear and now you’ll have to get those fixed plus I would never pay that much for an exhaust.
Old 09-17-18, 03:20 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
I have a 2018 charger 392 and it’s louder bone stock over my ISF with RR intake, PPE headers and a Borla exhaust. I love the sound of my Borla definitely sounds amazing with the headers and when I get on it hard people always tell me it sounds like an exotic car. Cruising definitely doable and not bad at all if you listen to the radio you’ll totally forget about the exhaust. I don’t understand why people want the sound of a Prius while cruising but want a dragster while getting on it hard lol. To me my combo is perfect because we all know eventually your going to have those PPE valves get stuck in a certain position after some years of wear and tear and now you’ll have to get those fixed plus I would never pay that much for an exhaust.
Don't have too... X force Varex comes with valves for 1.2k, most of us also don't like to sound like a hot rod when cruising.. Really tho its a 4 door sedan, daily comfort needed. If I were really want to go loud, my weekend car would be screaming.
Old 09-17-18, 04:13 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

PPE Equal length headers and JoeZ exhaust. Overall it’s not too loud and I get compliments regularly on sound. It’s loudest at Low RPM and very high RPM. Early in the morning when first taking off, it does resonate a bit in the cockpit. It can be hard to hear my 6 year old from the back seat, but she has a low voice. My wife and I easily hold convos in my F, and she is a soft spoken Lady. I wouldn’t trade it. I also regularly drive attorneys and clients with me and it has never been an issue, more of a conversation piece.
Old 09-17-18, 06:17 AM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was concerned with this at first as well when I was going full catless with headers. I have sikky headers and an x force cat back (non varex), and honestly it was a little louder than my full stock exhaust with muffler delete. I’ve since changed out the mufflers for a more baffled design and I kinda want it louder. Only time it’s a little excessive is at WOT, but that’s how it should be. I also DD the car and don’t like obnoxiously loud cars either, if that gives you an indication. I’d try to listen to some in person, the videos always make it sound louder, in car it’s totally different.
Old 09-17-18, 11:28 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by OneFastF
Don't have too... X force Varex comes with valves for 1.2k, most of us also don't like to sound like a hot rod when cruising.. Really tho its a 4 door sedan, daily comfort needed. If I were really want to go loud, my weekend car would be screaming.
That exhaust isn’t even listed in the poll. Still those motors that open and close the valves will go out eventually. Four doors doesn’t mean it has to be comfort and quiet.
Old 09-17-18, 11:32 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by OneFastF
That exhaust isn’t even listed in the poll so I assumed it was only amongst the four. Still those motors that open and close the valves will go out eventually. Four doors doesn’t necessarily mean daily comfort needed that’s your own opinion. If you really wanted loud you would go open header or rr racing bazooka cat back.