IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Engine mounts and subframe question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-18, 04:02 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Engine mounts and subframe question.

I highly doubt this but, can the subframe shift over time, maybe because of potholes or other reasons?

If not then, do motor mounts settle after a few months, specifically the rrracing mounts?

I'm asking this because when I got my second set of headers installed by rrracing with their mounts a few months ago, everything was fine. Nothing rubbed or anything, no clearance issues. But recently I started having clearance issues so I lifted the car up and sure enough the headers are now hitting the subframe so something must have shifted around. It happens mostly when the car is cold, once it warms up, the clearance issue gets better.

What could have shifted? I'm even contemplating installing back the OEM mounts just to see if that's the issue.

btw the gold tape that rrracing installed in my mounts came off and became black (burned) because it stuck to the headers. People with the mounts should check their tape.

Last edited by jat0223; 09-29-18 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-29-18, 04:14 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 1,417 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
I highly doubt this but, can the subframe shift over time, maybe because of potholes or other reasons?

If not then, do motor mounts settle after a few months, specifically the rrracing mounts?

I'm asking this because when I got my second set of headers installed by rrracing with their mounts a few months ago, everything was fine. Nothing rubbed or anything, no clearance issues. But recently I started having clearance issues so I lifted the car up and sure enough the headers are now hitting the subframe so something must have shifted around. It happens mostly when the car is cold, once it warms up, the clearance issue gets better.

What could have shifted? I'm even contemplating installing back the OEM mounts just to see if that's the issue.

btw the gold tape that rrracing installed in my mounts came off and became black (burned) because it stuck to the headers. People with the mounts should check their tape.

PPE headers tend to get close to the bottom passenger side of the subframe. In fact with stock mount cars, we always grind away a bit of the flange, but we haven’t had to do that yet with our mounts. It’s pissible there is some manufacturing variability. It’s something that can easily be solved by shimming the mounts just a bit, or if it’s touching the subframe where I think it is, just a minor material removal alleviates any touching.

Rafi
Old 09-29-18, 04:32 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Originally Posted by RRRacing

PPE headers tend to get close to the bottom passenger side of the subframe. In fact with stock mount cars, we always grind away a bit of the flange, but we haven’t had to do that yet with our mounts. It’s pissible there is some manufacturing variability. It’s something that can easily be solved by shimming the mounts just a bit, or if it’s touching the subframe where I think it is, just a minor material removal alleviates any touching.

Rafi
they're hitting the subframe right above the lca bushing on the passenger side. They only have like 1/16" clearance.

How would I go about shimmying the mounts? With a washer or something like that?
Old 09-29-18, 05:37 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 1,417 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
they're hitting the subframe right above the lca bushing on the passenger side. They only have like 1/16" clearance.

How would I go about shimmying the mounts? With a washer or something like that?
In cases where they hit with stock mounts, that’s EXACTLY where they hit.

I am not sure your name, but if we did the install you are more than welcome to come to the shop and it’s an easy fix.

Rafi
Old 09-29-18, 07:13 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Originally Posted by RRRacing

In cases where they hit with stock mounts, that’s EXACTLY where they hit.

I am not sure your name, but if we did the install you are more than welcome to come to the shop and it’s an easy fix.

Rafi
my name is John. I'm the guy that switched from the sikky headers to the equal length ppe and got them installed along with the motor mounts at your shop.