IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Looking to buy an IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-18, 03:13 PM
Mdunivin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy an IS-F

Okay I’ve done a search over the nation!
I get a bit more nervous with higher miles and no warranty like Carmax bc I’ve had some bad luck in the past - though I’ve never owned Lexus so hopefully...

I’m also curious what your thoughts are on winter performance? This car would be my new daily.
Probobly sell it after 2 years at the most as keeping the overall cost of ownership at the lowest with depreciation etc is my ultimate goal.

If none of these are good values I can always keep looking but I’d LOVE to get your opinion, it’s super appreciated.

In no particular order. All have nav, none have auto cruise. No accidents except the last which I noted.

1. Grey 2010 price: $28k Miles: 100K Owners: 3
https://www.carmax.com/car/16428935

2. White 2012 price: $26K miles: 101k Owners: 2
https://www.kuniautocenter.com/used/...8cc36b49a0.htm

3. Silver 2011 price: $27.5k miles: 90k owners: 3
https://www.sirwalter.com/VehicleDet...-NC/3277940403

4. Black 2010 price: $29k miles: 41k owners: 3
https://www.landrovernorthfield.com/...63c464f019.htm

5. Blue 2011 price: $29k miles: 76k owners: not sure. Has the most records I think though.
https://www.arlingtonhonda.com/used/...939d4ff63d.htm

6. Blue 2008 price: $26K miles: 74k owners: 3. Carbon fiber diffuser and 3rd party intake.
https://www.mcgrathlex.com/VehicleDe...-IL/3276061463

7. Red 2008 price: 19.6K miles: 120K owners: 3.
No accidents but damage done that needed bumper replaced as well as headlights.
https://www.mcgrathacura.com/auto/us...e-il/30081060/

Last edited by Mdunivin; 10-11-18 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-11-18, 05:11 PM
Mdunivin
Driver School Candidate

Also feel free to PM me if you have one for sale!
Old 10-11-18, 05:58 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

This might be your winner if the car checks out:

I daily my 08 IS-F with snow tires here in Chicago for the last 8-9 years...no issues, just make sure you be cautious.
Old 10-11-18, 06:09 PM
Mdunivin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
This might be your winner if the car checks out:

I daily my 08 IS-F with snow tires here in Chicago for the last 8-9 years...no issues, just make sure you be cautious.
Thanks a lot for the reply!

Are you saying that you believe that one to be the best bet? Location doesn’t matter much as none of them are close haha. Think it’ll retain its value well?

Ive also seem some ‘08’s around the $21K mark with the 100K miles, but as I understand it they are worth less as more common and the lack of the LSD. I understand a ‘10 like that one will have the LSD, but not the suspension and new wheel, gauges, and seating. Personally I’m okay with that. Just concerned about resale.

That’s confidence inspiring on the snow comment. I live in MA now, previously lived even more in the snow belt so def have learned to be cautious haha. Given you’ve had your for a number of years have you found it really reliable. I’ve read on the forum about the water pump and digitizer on the nav.

Last edited by Mdunivin; 10-11-18 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-12-18, 06:46 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdunivin

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Are you saying that you believe that one to be the best bet? Location doesn’t matter much as none of them are close haha. Think it’ll retain its value well?

Ive also seem some ‘08’s around the $21K mark with the 100K miles, but as I understand it they are worth less as more common and the lack of the LSD. I understand a ‘10 like that one will have the LSD, but not the suspension and new wheel, gauges, and seating. Personally I’m okay with that. Just concerned about resale.

That’s confidence inspiring on the snow comment. I live in MA now, previously lived even more in the snow belt so def have learned to be cautious haha. Given you’ve had your for a number of years have you found it really reliable. I’ve read on the forum about the water pump and digitizer on the nav.
I would buy that car if I was in the market, and i inspected it and it checked out with no issues or damage.

Gauges update is a plug and play, that is no issue if you need to update it.

Seats are just a material update, they did not physically change.

Wheels got a bit wider with the later models, but you could change those if needed (I wouldn't - you have expensive BBS light wheels stock)

Suspension is a consumable item and would eventually need to be changed out anyways, so don't worry about that too much.

My IS-F has 67k on it right now and is the best car I have ever owned, I daily drive it with a smile on my face.

I did have a weeping water pump that was replaced under warranty.

I also had the cooling fan bolt recall done as well.

As far as resale, I couldn't comment too much, but I have seen these things holding value pretty well. At 29k a '10 with 40k miles is pretty cheap. As time goes by these things are getting harder and harder to find with low mileage.

I am not planning on selling mine and plan on driving it into the ground.

Old 10-12-18, 08:27 AM
Mdunivin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
I would buy that car if I was in the market, and i inspected it and it checked out with no issues or damage.

Gauges update is a plug and play, that is no issue if you need to update it.

Seats are just a material update, they did not physically change.

Wheels got a bit wider with the later models, but you could change those if needed (I wouldn't - you have expensive BBS light wheels stock)

Suspension is a consumable item and would eventually need to be changed out anyways, so don't worry about that too much.

My IS-F has 67k on it right now and is the best car I have ever owned, I daily drive it with a smile on my face.

I did have a weeping water pump that was replaced under warranty.

I also had the cooling fan bolt recall done as well.

As far as resale, I couldn't comment too much, but I have seen these things holding value pretty well. At 29k a '10 with 40k miles is pretty cheap. As time goes by these things are getting harder and harder to find with low mileage.

I am not planning on selling mine and plan on driving it into the ground.
I called to put a hold on it and apparently someone is already driving overnight for it. Wonder if it was someone who saw it here
Old 10-15-18, 06:22 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I called to put a hold on it and apparently someone is already driving overnight for it. Wonder if it was someone who saw it here
This is pretty typical. I was looking for 5+ years for my ideal ISF (2011+ USB with black interior) before I was finally able to secure one. Every time one showed up for sale, I was out of the country, and they got scooped up within 3-5 days.

My recommendation is to decide which color(s) and/or options you want and not hesitate when you find it. Good luck.
Old 10-16-18, 01:43 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by DekNgo
This is pretty typical. I was looking for 5+ years for my ideal ISF (2011+ USB with black interior) before I was finally able to secure one. Every time one showed up for sale, I was out of the country, and they got scooped up within 3-5 days.

My recommendation is to decide which color(s) and/or options you want and not hesitate when you find it. Good luck.

5 years? I wish i could shake your hand. Dedication!
Old 10-16-18, 07:15 PM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jwconeil

5 years? I wish i could shake your hand. Dedication!
You probably shouldn't be that impressed... I forced my own hand by buying parts for the car before I ever had it. LOL

I had wheels, exhaust, sub/amp, and the discontinued 4080 sub box sitting in my attic for most of that time just waiting on a car.
Old 10-16-18, 08:48 PM
Mdunivin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DekNgo
You probably shouldn't be that impressed... I forced my own hand by buying parts for the car before I ever had it. LOL

I had wheels, exhaust, sub/amp, and the discontinued 4080 sub box sitting in my attic for most of that time just waiting on a car.
Still, good perseverance and self-control. Could have settled, but waited till you found what you wanted. My five year search has begun as well haha
Old 10-17-18, 04:44 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Still, good perseverance and self-control. Could have settled, but waited till you found what you wanted. My five year search has begun as well haha
It's well worth it.
Old 10-17-18, 01:55 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

OP, clear out PM's.
But the one I checked out for you was at the Sir Walter Chevorlet dealership in Raleigh.

V.
Old 10-17-18, 06:10 PM
Mdunivin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vitveet
OP, clear out PM's.
But the one I checked out for you was at the Sir Walter Chevorlet dealership in Raleigh.

V.
I didn’t realize I hadn’t cleaned them out from sent - thanks!
Old 10-18-18, 09:16 AM
user 692802
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys see the 2014 silver on white? Below 70k miles in stafford , Tx for 39.5 picked up or add 499 shipping? This would have been a contender if i didnt already pick up a 2014... have a badass chick at home why do the eyes still wander? Check out vroom if you car doesnt get jealous easily
Old 10-18-18, 12:44 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

All 14s are worth a premium to me. Last year of an iconic car, and less than 90 available.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an IS-F