IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Ticking noise after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-18, 11:32 PM
Brad3275
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like Lance's video he posted and my car makes the same noise. I like to think of it as the engine tapping on the top of a can of whoop *** - ready to open it.
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (10-22-18)
Old 10-20-18, 11:55 PM
xaker777
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusISF11
Here’s the video of the noise. Hopefully someone can figure this out..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZqOYYeqnRQ
I have a same noise. It sounds like a typewriter... and I always preform my own oil change. And make sure things are 100% good before closing the hood.
Old 10-21-18, 08:04 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sounds like you want to be mad about something many of us have experienced with our cars. Ticking noise? Check. Got that for the last 80k miles or so. It's related to the oil pressure going to the exhaust cam drive sprocket since it is oil controlled where the intake is electrically controlled. There is a seal between the cam caps and the valve cover. This seal likes to leak when cold. Mine also prefers 0W-30 to 5W-30 Mobil 1 if I want this noise to be diminished. I am sure the issue is oil pressure related on my car because I have done a few things to test what makes it disappear, and anything oil related will impact it as does removing the valve cover and cleaning everything up before replacing the custom o-rings they use.
I suspect I have this issue as well. I used to think it was related to the OEM exhaust manifold, but it still happens with PPE headers.

-Mike

Old 10-21-18, 08:07 AM
LexusISF11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xaker777

I have a same noise. It sounds like a typewriter... and I always preform my own oil change. And make sure things are 100% good before closing the hood.
lmao yeah it does sound like a type writer!. What could be causing it?

funny thing happened last night. I went to a different gas station and filled my car up and the noise lessened.
Old 10-21-18, 03:07 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Don’t worry about it. It’s still a 300k plus engine, just change the oil when needed and floor it for smiles.
Old 10-21-18, 03:14 PM
Jwconeil

Why start a different thread? Your being heard, it’s just a normal sound on these cars.

Dont get so worked up, you have a great car. It sounds like nobody messed with anything and the dealer has tried to take care of you. Just enjoy your car .
Old 10-21-18, 03:39 PM
LexusISF11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Don’t worry about it. It’s still a 300k plus engine, just change the oil when needed and floor it for smiles.
lol yeah I’ve seen some ISF’s with 300k+ Miles on the clock. I guess nothing is ever 100% perfect. And it’s a bit relieving that others on here have the same problem too and have no issues with their car.
Old 10-21-18, 07:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,968 Likes on 2,402 Posts

If you read the comments on my YouTube video, you'll see I've been able to make it go away for at least short periods of time. The last time I did a valve lash inspection, it quit entirely for a few months. I am reasonably confident it is related to the seal between the valve cover and cam caps because of this. It also got a lot quieter running Mobil 1 0w-30 (I did this on the last oil change purely to experiment with this idea). I plan to try Renewable Lubricants BioSyn 5w-30 on the next oil change to see if that helps at all, and I have been told by people in the industry there are folks employed at oil companies who formulate blends specifically to reduce engine noises. So, who knows, maybe running the Toyota branded oil would make this disappear completely - if I were going to test that theory, I'd send a bottle of it to 540Rat for testing just to be sure I'm not giving anything up in terms of load capacity - speaking of which, I am running RLI in the GS F and looking forward to the results of the UOA.
Old 10-21-18, 07:26 PM
xaker777
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wasn't there a fix ? I believe someone said after they replaced valve springs it went away? I might try to pull it up.
Old 10-21-18, 07:53 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

JUST DO A GOOD OIL CHANGE YOURSELF with the oil you want fully syn, 5/30w and see if the tick goes away good luck.
Old 10-21-18, 11:23 PM
2008ISF
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

...I am reasonably confident it is related to the seal between the valve cover and cam caps because of this. It also got a lot quieter running Mobil 1 0w-30 (I did this on the last oil change purely to experiment with this idea). I plan to try Renewable Lubricants BioSyn 5w-30 on the next oil change to see if that helps at all, and I have been told by people in the industry there are folks employed at oil companies who formulate blends specifically to reduce engine noises.
Would like to know your results with the Renewable Lubricants BioSyn 5W-30. I was reading the thread about that oil company, and the whole topic of fuel dilution. Looking forward to what you think about their oil in your IS F.

Old 10-22-18, 06:29 AM
LexusISF11
Driver School Candidate

If you read the comments on my YouTube video, you'll see I've been able to make it go away for at least short periods of time. The last time I did a valve lash inspection, it quit entirely for a few months. I am reasonably confident it is related to the seal between the valve cover and cam caps because of this. It also got a lot quieter running Mobil 1 0w-30 (I did this on the last oil change purely to experiment with this idea). I plan to try Renewable Lubricants BioSyn 5w-30 on the next oil change to see if that helps at all, and I have been told by people in the industry there are folks employed at oil companies who formulate blends specifically to reduce engine noises. So, who knows, maybe running the Toyota branded oil would make this disappear completely - if I were going to test that theory, I'd send a bottle of it to 540Rat for testing just to be sure I'm not giving anything up in terms of load capacity - speaking of which, I am running RLI in the GS F and looking forward to the results of the UOA.

I read a comment in a similar thread. The person said that whenever they have an oil change done on their F it starts making that tapping noise and it goes away over time when the oil level goes down. What do you think? That’s probably most cases on here.
Old 10-22-18, 06:58 AM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

yea it sounds just like my 12, pretty sure this is just the way these all sound.

Old 10-22-18, 09:01 AM
Jwconeil

I can barely hear my own thoughts when I could start my car... just get headers and exhaust.
Old 10-22-18, 09:59 AM
LexusISF11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Why start a different thread? Your being heard, it’s just a normal sound on these cars.

Dont get so worked up, you have a great car. It sounds like nobody messed with anything and the dealer has tried to take care of you. Just enjoy your car .
thank you man! I really appreciate your post. Yeah I don’t know why I made a new thread, wish a mod would merge them together. But yeah I definitely want to enjoy this car

Quick Reply: Ticking noise after oil change