IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Ticking noise after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-18, 07:09 PM
LexusISF11
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ticking noise after oil change

Bought my ISF at 98k miles in February, recently hit 103k and took it to a Lexus dealership for a simple oil change and oil filter change. Usually this Lexus dealership lets me bring in the car to the shop myself and I can pick the technician (I used to work there) but this time the manager told me no (douche bag) I have trust issues with mechanics and technicians because they get stupid especially with nice fast cars like F’s, I’ve seen these idiots when they get their hands on an F (again, cause I used to work there). So I’m thinking the technician who worked on my car got stupid with my car and probably messed something up out of spite and stupidity. I’m fuming right now and am ready to scream and curse someone out. I’m calling there tomorrow to have them check my car out. It’s like a metallic ticking, could possibly be the heat shield or something else. But it’s mainly from the driver side and now I can’t enjoy the car with my windows down and I drove my car with the windows down all the time before the change. There’s only one technician there that I actually like who does a damn good job and I trust him 101% even if he wanted to borrow my F for a week I’d throw him the key, but sadly he couldn’t do my car that day.

Lengthy post I know. Any other F owners have this issue? Am I fuming for no reason? I swear that noise was never there prior to the oil change.
Old 10-16-18, 07:33 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Heat shield or broken header would be my guess.
Old 10-16-18, 07:55 PM
LexusISF11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joker4096
Heat shield or broken header would be my guess.
you don’t think the technician who did my car screwed up the oil change somehow? And how would my headers go bad coincidentally after my oil change? Did he mess with my car then?
Old 10-16-18, 08:00 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Its difficult to say. Did you check the oil level? I doubt you are hearing a bearing noise. Can you post a video?
Old 10-16-18, 08:56 PM
LexusISF11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joker4096
Its difficult to say. Did you check the oil level? I doubt you are hearing a bearing noise. Can you post a video?
no I haven’t I’m still learning about this car, I had the oil changed Friday if that means anything and Sure I’ll try posting a video of the noise.

edit: tried taking a video of it and of course the noise magically disappears and is faint now. I’ll try getting a video of it tomorrow when it’s more warmed up. But I’ll try taking it to the dealership early so hopefully it’s resolved before lunch time tomorrow.

Last edited by LexusISF11; 10-16-18 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-16-18, 10:23 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Honestly, and this may sound weird....but I've used some synthetics oils that were quieter than others. I've had a number of cars that "liked" a certain brand of oil.
Old 10-16-18, 10:31 PM
Brad3275
Rookie

I've noticed that my engine ticks more loudly after a fresh oil change and then quiets back down after a few days.
Old 10-17-18, 03:17 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Check oil level, make sure it is full.
Old 10-17-18, 04:43 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

This is common in the isf and there are a few threads on it. Some people say that it's the stock cracked headers or heat shields. I know mine it's oil related because I don't have stock headers and it happens every time I change the oil. It usually goes away after a few hundred miles. After I switched to redline oil the ticking was reduced.
Old 10-17-18, 01:33 PM
LexusISF11
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys. Thanks for all of your replies, so today I took my car to the Lexus dealer to check the noise out. By the grace of god my favorite service advisor and technician saw my car and he took my car back to check out it out. He was a little unsure of the noise at first so him and the original technician who did my oil change Friday (both master techs) had my car there for about an hour and used a stethoscope and it turns out my driver side mechanical water pump is just now starting to go bad but isn’t to the point where it needs to be changed just yet nor is it loud enough yet. That’s what his money is on that’s causing the ticking noise. What do you all think?
Old 10-17-18, 01:36 PM
LexusISF11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jat0223
This is common in the isf and there are a few threads on it. Some people say that it's the stock cracked headers or heat shields. I know mine it's oil related because I don't have stock headers and it happens every time I change the oil. It usually goes away after a few hundred miles. After I switched to redline oil the ticking was reduced.
I did a lot of research on the knocking/ticking noise on the ISF and appearently I’m seeing that it’s “normal” but I’m not sure. See my post above and let me know.
Old 10-17-18, 01:41 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

The direct injection engines are loud. They almost sound like small diesels. When I first heard one, I thought it had valvetrain or timing chain issues. My IS350 sounds very similar. I haven’t heard your car so I can’t comment on it, but an F engine is noticeably louder than a port injection engine.
Old 10-17-18, 01:42 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

Drivers side water pump? There's only 1 water pump at the front of the engine.take the belt off and check, did the " master tech" do this.
Old 10-17-18, 03:12 PM
LexusISF11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
The direct injection engines are loud. They almost sound like small diesels. When I first heard one, I thought it had valvetrain or timing chain issues. My IS350 sounds very similar. I haven’t heard your car so I can’t comment on it, but an F engine is noticeably louder than a port injection engine.
the mini diesel noises are fine and don’t bother me but the noise I’m talking about is like a hidden metallic clanking/ticking/tapping noise. You need to squat down and listen and tune out the diesel sounds to hear what I’m talking about.
Old 10-17-18, 03:13 PM
LexusISF11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by isfvss
Drivers side water pump? There's only 1 water pump at the front of the engine.take the belt off and check, did the " master tech" do this.
idk that’s what he told me that were were 2 pumps, driver side and passenger side. I just want to figure out what this noise is and if it’s normal or not. It’s not the diesel ticking, it’s a different ticking that’s “behind” the diesel noise if that makes sense.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise after oil change