IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Should I Get An IS-F?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-18 | 10:51 AM
CarlitoIS
Intermediate

Default Should I Get An IS-F?

Am I crazy? I'm probably done with my 2016 IS lease in about a year. But, I don't really want to purchase the car after the lease is up. Now I'm thinking of buying a Lexus and keeping it. The ISF just came up and damn, now I want one. I think my wife will think I'm crazy if I tell her I'm getting in reality, an older car. I just never thought the market for this car would be so tough. When you find one at a decent price, the next day it's sold. I wish I knew about this car way sooner.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say; is it worth it?
I think finding the right ISF might also take some time.
Old 10-19-18 | 11:32 AM
3ISOwner
Rookie

I used to own a 2015 Lexus IS250 and I was itching to get rid of it for an IS-F. I finally done it just last month, and it is absolutely worth the switch and depreciation.
Just like you, I wish I knew about the IS-F earlier and bought it from the get-go. My IS-F is a 2008 starfire pearl with the series 2 package (ML Audio, navi, backup cam etc)

You think its tough to find a decent IS-F in the US? Just come to Canada, only 560~ out here

Last edited by 3ISOwner; 10-19-18 at 11:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CarlitoIS (10-20-18)
Old 10-19-18 | 11:40 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

The IS-F is cool rare car, but as of 2018 its a 10 year old car and there are many faster and better sedans out there right now that are in the used marketplace.
Old 10-19-18 | 12:55 PM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
The IS-F is cool rare car, but as of 2018 its a 10 year old car and there are many faster and better sedans out there right now that are in the used marketplace.

faster... yes. Better is subjective.

i am 32 and have owned 34 cars of all makes and models. I bought an 08is350 18 months ago and fell in love with the platform. I finally bought a 13 ISF this spring. I kept both cars because they are so good and well built. Everyone thinks my 08 is a new car because of how well it has held up.

I have a daily driver that everything works, it looks new, it gets 27 mpg, looks good and nothing is more reliable. It also runs mid 13s.

I have a good weathered pampered F that rarely loses a race, has all the above attributes and is truly a rare car, plus it sounds like “thunder” according to my friends. I personally think nothing is better than this platform. My only complaint is there isn’t much room for my taller friends when we all take my car. It’s cramped for 4 adult men. I can deal with that though, my family is small and I’m only 5’9”. I wish a I could add 2-3 inches of legroom though.

in 10 years I will still have both cars. I don’t care what comes out in that time frame.

If my car were a woman, she would have been the one that ended my wild dating days. She is the keeper.

good luck in your search.
The following 4 users liked this post by Jwconeil:
3ISOwner (10-19-18), CarlitoIS (10-20-18), Chr328is (08-01-22), Defratos (10-21-18)
Old 10-19-18 | 01:27 PM
Kenny88880
Pit Crew

I would say, find one and test drive it. Decide after you have sat behind the wheel. We are very biased, but the truth is that these really are great cars. Check out the thread at the top of the forum for more info about what to look for if you get serious.
CarlitoIS (10-20-18)
Old 10-19-18 | 01:41 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

no stay away lolz just get GTR lol
CarlitoIS (10-20-18)
Old 10-19-18 | 01:44 PM
ToDesi
Driver

I traded in my 2016 is300 for an ISF, My brother called me an Idiot, but I'm so Happy now..lol
The following 2 users liked this post by ToDesi:
3ISOwner (10-19-18), CarlitoIS (10-20-18)
Old 10-19-18 | 02:27 PM
mk416
Advanced

Any thoughts on RCF? Or is that out of price range? 2015 can be had for like low to mid 40K's now.

Only bringing this up because I'm curious to see why people choose ISF over RCF or the other way around.

Note: ISF owner here
CarlitoIS (10-20-18)
Old 10-19-18 | 08:13 PM
67mattbo
Driver School Candidate

Default Isf

im 51 and wanted a reliable muscle car. With the isf I have found it.... it is my pleasure car and enjoy a mod here and there... love it
CarlitoIS (10-20-18)
Old 10-20-18 | 07:22 AM
CarlitoIS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Interesting. Faster and better? Sure. But price range? Reliability? I wonder what sedans you are talking about. I do want to test drive the IS-F. I think there's a 2008 model at my local Lexus dealer.
Old 10-20-18 | 09:58 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by Jwconeil

faster... yes. Better is subjective.

i am 32 and have owned 34 cars of all makes and models. I bought an 08is350 18 months ago and fell in love with the platform. I finally bought a 13 ISF this spring. I kept both cars because they are so good and well built. Everyone thinks my 08 is a new car because of how well it has held up.

I have a daily driver that everything works, it looks new, it gets 27 mpg, looks good and nothing is more reliable. It also runs mid 13s.

I have a good weathered pampered F that rarely loses a race, has all the above attributes and is truly a rare car, plus it sounds like “thunder” according to my friends. I personally think nothing is better than this platform. My only complaint is there isn’t much room for my taller friends when we all take my car. It’s cramped for 4 adult men. I can deal with that though, my family is small and I’m only 5’9”. I wish a I could add 2-3 inches of legroom though.

in 10 years I will still have both cars. I don’t care what comes out in that time frame.

If my car were a woman, she would have been the one that ended my wild dating days. She is the keeper.

good luck in your search.
Don't get my wrong, its a great car, best I have ever owned and a perfect daily driver even in the snow with snow tires.

I have owned mine for 9 years and plan on driving it into the ground.

If it got totaled today I would go pick up a new M3 with an extended warranty.
Old 10-21-18 | 10:17 AM
Defratos
Racer

Of course asking if you should get an IS-F in an IS-F forum will get you some biased replies.

Still I bought mine straight from the dealer for 2 reasons, Love the way it looks and the sound is like nothing I've heard.

Seeing how rare it's become I'm keeping the IS-F until it drops dead (hope that never happens), in the UK I believe there's only like 130 registered IS-Fs and the number is reducing.

Everyone that's seen the car just sits there wondering WTF is that, then they hear the exhaust and love it.

Having said that I'm not sure if I was in your position and had the money to buy a new car that I would go this route because it is a 10 year old car, and maybe the bandwagon has already passed to truly benefit from all the perks the car can give.

The final question is do you want a car that's faster or reliable? if it's faster then go buy something newer and live with the crappy exhaust sound lol, if it's reliability and plan on keep the car for 10 years or so then maybe the ISF will tick all the right boxes.
Old 10-21-18 | 02:07 PM
Jwconeil

The newer m3s feel faster with their low end torque. I didn’t like the M3 personality as much as the F. The M3 was stock though. They are great cars. I would never own one because I have many hesitations against German cars. Some of it may be the hype and America’s disdain for German car repair bills.
Old 10-22-18 | 07:26 AM
ninten5
Driver

Personally, I would not buy an ISF from a newer gen IS car. The design and tech is just way too old. I'd aim for an RC-F at this point. Maybe a used newer gen M3, F10 M5 with extended warranty or M6? Now if you are getting a deal on the ISF thats different.
Old 10-22-18 | 09:10 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Test drive it and see for yourself, better yet test drive a lightly upgraded one. There's been quite a few members on the FB groups go from 3IS to ISF and have zero regrets.

The car is a little dated but it's only getting rarer, far rarer than CTSV, SS, M3, C63 etc. There's not too many sub $40k 4 doors out there that can hit mid 12's and 28mpg highway that you can also trust to almost never see the shop. Even the cheapest RCF or M4 is about $40k so that makes little sense to compare, especially when you can get even faster cars than them for that much. I went from a 2013 Infiniti to an 08 ISF and have zero complaints, honestly the ISF had more tech. I will hit the 2 year ownership mark here in another week, and have put 50k miles on it without a single issue. I contemplated upgrading to an RCF, 392SRT, 5.0 Mustang, or even C63 but decided to just upgraded the LCA bushing(highly recommend Figs or USRS) and headlights and boom, it's like a new F. Now I am trying to say no to headers/tune, but the want to hit 11's is real!! My favorite thing is not seeing any other ISF on the roads and having people have no idea what it is.

Quick Reply: Should I Get An IS-F?