IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Can it buff right off?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-18, 01:49 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can it buff right off?!?!

Insurance considered it a totaled loss. Miraculously and thankfully no property or bodily injured, except my F.

I have no glues what I want next as I haven't had any interest in looking for a new car in the last 10 years. I briefly drove my colleague's 2018 M2 DCT. A great handling ride for $60K.

A slightly used USB RCF is the first one on my list but can't find one locally with a TV option. Any worthwhile contenders under $60K, a new or less than 3yrs old?

Cheers!

Old 10-20-18, 03:55 PM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks totaled to me. Judging on the hiod and the fender being misaligned like that, looks like it would require a pull on the frame machine. Glad you're ok. Sorry about the car
Old 10-21-18, 01:23 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I am by far no expert, but I am not sure that is a total loss.

Let us know.
Old 10-22-18, 07:43 AM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

M3, ATS-V, maybe the new CTS-V is close to 60k now? That would be the ultimate budget car!
Old 10-22-18, 08:06 AM
shikikan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like a total loss value wise, but frame definitely not bent. fenders are mounted by very flimsy gussets, and the hood hinges are the first thing to bend on hood impact. very similar damage happened on my F and luckily it wasnt declared a loss (12k!) ended up using the check to pay the car off and fixed it myself. about 2.5k in, CF hood, 2012 headlights, had a dentless shop repair the creases in fenders and repaired the underlying gussets/radiator support etc. all thats left is a new grill, bumper cover and repaint. dont know how attached you are to this car or your mechanical skill but maybe consider repairing yourself?
Old 10-22-18, 08:54 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Wish you were local. I want some ISF seats for my 350. Good luck.
Old 10-22-18, 10:45 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 165 Likes on 89 Posts

Awww man. That's sad. You'll be buying this back right? Probably the only way to truly get your value back. I'd say the motor and trans are worth enough to justify the hassle of finding a buyer.
Old 10-22-18, 02:06 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

Buy it back and turn it into a track monster 👹
Old 10-22-18, 04:35 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Well, an insurance adjuster estimated the repairs at about $23K before the teardown so it was declared as a total loss. The rear photo didn't reveal the damages but it the left side of the trunk is out of wack.

Old 10-22-18, 04:38 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Attached, yes. But not mechanically inclined. Plus I got no time and space to dedicate it to. After 10 years, time to move on.

Originally Posted by shikikan
looks like a total loss value wise, but frame definitely not bent. fenders are mounted by very flimsy gussets, and the hood hinges are the first thing to bend on hood impact. very similar damage happened on my F and luckily it wasnt declared a loss (12k!) ended up using the check to pay the car off and fixed it myself. about 2.5k in, CF hood, 2012 headlights, had a dentless shop repair the creases in fenders and repaired the underlying gussets/radiator support etc. all thats left is a new grill, bumper cover and repaint. dont know how attached you are to this car or your mechanical skill but maybe consider repairing yourself?
Old 10-22-18, 04:42 PM
McPierson
Instructor

You might float some trial balloons on here to see what someone would give you. Compare that with the buy back cost. I’d be surprised if you don’t end up with several thousand in your pocket.
Old 10-23-18, 06:18 AM
Jwconeil

The buyback game has changed a lot. You can’t buy back totaled cars for as cheap as you used too. I have a hard time imagining you would make your money back if you buy it to part, but that’s just a guess. This isn’t a swap friendly drivetrain, so there isn’t much people can do with it.
Old 10-23-18, 06:46 AM
McPierson
Instructor

I hear that. And it's for sure a hassle to part stuff out.

FWIW... I got a killer deal on my LS400 with a little tappie in the backie. Now that car isn't really worth much in good condition so you're probably right. I would guess someone would give you at least 4-5k just to have a back up drivetrain ( I'm not willing, haha). Still a hassle to work it all through. I totally understand wanting to move on. After 10 years you got your money's worth. Best luck on the hunt for the next one.... Tesla model S?
Old 10-23-18, 12:10 PM
Jwconeil

Part of the struggle is the drive trains don’t break often, they are built well. So not many F owners will pay big bucks for an extra. I’d buy an extra, but no where near 5 grand when I can have an engine built for twice that by a pro shop. The wheels aren’t highly sought after In this year, the rear end isn’t either.

now if you want to just make it run and race it ugly, it’s not a bad idea. Then you won’t care nearly as much if you wall it. My buddy totaled an F150 and the insurance company auctioned it off for like 17k. He was allowed to bid, but he didn’t get first rights. I’m not sure if all companies are like that.

keep us updated on what you buy. Sorry it ended this way, but if your healthy and can live your life, then your F did it’s job!
Old 10-23-18, 11:12 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

I was pleasantly surprised at how much my insurance has offered earlier today. Now I know why they charged my premium so high. lol

For those interested, my 2008 with 87K was in a great condition. The salvage retention is $7,500, which I will gladly skip.

FWIW, if I had to do it all over again, USB ISF is a no-brainer for me. The overall value, performance, reliability and costs, and the entertainment I got out of the car, among other things, of the last 10 years was simply priceless, especially my health well being still intact.

I started out with a modest budget in mind and after I saw a f'kin Altima with a so-called special edition listed for over $36k, before taxes, I knew I had to bump up my range considerably. But WTF happened during the last 10 years?!?! Hoping for stock market staged a strong rebound in the next few days.

Happy motoring!!!

Quick Reply: Can it buff right off?!?!