IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Brake Pad Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-18, 07:22 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
For what it's worth, I have been using Autozone's Duralast Gold brand since March, already put about 20k on them when I replaced them along with Oem brembo rotors. Autox and drag strip days and daily driving, a bit less bite than OEM but brake dust is nearly nonexistent. I used to have to wipe down my black chrome wheels every day to keep them shiny, now I clean my current wheels maybe once every 2-3 weeks. Pretty happy with them for only $100.
Are you using the Duralast Gold rear pads as well? I was just checking their website and it shows the rear pads as being semi-metallic, so I would expect them to generate the same amount of dust as the OEM rear pads. I know the fronts do most of the braking, but I'd like to go with ceramic pads in the rear as well.
Old 11-02-18, 07:42 AM
NjzFinest
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heard bosch makes some good pads for the isf as well.
The following users liked this post:
2014acISF (07-04-20)
Old 11-02-18, 07:44 AM
NjzFinest
Rookie

Guys running the duralast pads. Do you get that clicking sound on bumpers or braking from them like people have reported with other pads?
Old 11-02-18, 10:18 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by NjzFinest
Guys running the duralast pads. Do you get that clicking sound on bumpers or braking from them like people have reported with other pads?
No clicking whatsoever. I like them a lot but just to be clear, it's not a pad you should track with. But for a daily they're perfect, no squeals, no dust, no noise, and while brake bite is less, it also makes it just a touch smoother to drive. Like I said, I've put just over 20k on mine since March. Also, I run them front and rear.
Old 11-02-18, 10:21 AM
NjzFinest
Rookie

Just what im looking for. Im dont track. Just for daily driving.

No clicking whatsoever. I like them a lot but just to be clear, it's not a pad you should track with. But for a daily they're perfect, no squeals, no dust, no noise, and while brake bite is less, it also makes it just a touch smoother to drive. Like I said, I've put just over 20k on mine since March. Also, I run them front and rear.
Old 11-03-18, 04:45 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DekNgo
Are you using the Duralast Gold rear pads as well? I was just checking their website and it shows the rear pads as being semi-metallic, so I would expect them to generate the same amount of dust as the OEM rear pads. I know the fronts do most of the braking, but I'd like to go with ceramic pads in the rear as well.
After a few quick searches yesterday, it looks like Hawk may be one of the only brands making ceramic rear pads.

Hawk - Performance Ceramic Brake Pads - Rear (HB722Z.652)
Old 11-05-18, 05:43 PM
Prezajf
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just replaced my front and rears with Brembo ceramics and Brembo rotors. Not happy with the less aggressive bite but the dust is pretty much non existent
Old 11-05-18, 07:13 PM
Onionboyz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't need ceramic rears from my personal experience, i wondered the same when i was researching pads. The regular metallic rears from autozone are good enough probably because the front pads use a bigger 6 piston caliper vs the 2 piston in the rear. I have the whole set from Autozone and the ceramic fronts dust similar to the metallic rears (duralast ones).
Old 11-06-18, 04:55 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Prezajf
Just replaced my front and rears with Brembo ceramics and Brembo rotors. Not happy with the less aggressive bite but the dust is pretty much non existent
Do you have the part numbers for the Brembo ceramic pads you used?
Old 11-06-18, 04:57 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Onionboyz
You don't need ceramic rears from my personal experience, i wondered the same when i was researching pads. The regular metallic rears from autozone are good enough probably because the front pads use a bigger 6 piston caliper vs the 2 piston in the rear. I have the whole set from Autozone and the ceramic fronts dust similar to the metallic rears (duralast ones).
Thanks. That's what I kind of assumed, but it's always better to hear from someone with personal experience.
Old 11-06-18, 06:52 AM
Prezajf
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DekNgo
Do you have the part numbers for the Brembo ceramic pads you used?
Front pads Brembo part # P83146N
Rear pads Brembo part # P83134N
Old 11-07-18, 04:42 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Prezajf

Front pads Brembo part # P83146N
Rear pads Brembo part # P83134N
Thank you. Another option for me to consider.
Old 11-09-18, 12:20 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

So duralast is not safe for aggressive driving? I’m seeing two different attitudes toward them? I like to know that I can stop faster than I accelerate on the quarter mile strip if needed. I also might road course it this next season twice.
Old 11-12-18, 09:13 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
So duralast is not safe for aggressive driving? I’m seeing two different attitudes toward them? I like to know that I can stop faster than I accelerate on the quarter mile strip if needed. I also might road course it this next season twice.
I have done autox twice and a drag strip trip with 4 runs on the same pads, along with 20k+. On the later autox runs I could feel the brakes heating up and getting harder, probably because I wasn't going fast or long enough to cool them down. Ultimately I didn't have any issues, but if I were to go tracking with 25 minute+ sessions I would not trust them. I mean they're $100 and basically just for DD status which is great. Some people buy $600 pads just for the track/street and that's more than ideal. Some of those people don't put more than 5-10k on their cars per year though.
Old 11-13-18, 04:35 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

I have done autox twice and a drag strip trip with 4 runs on the same pads, along with 20k+. On the later autox runs I could feel the brakes heating up and getting harder, probably because I wasn't going fast or long enough to cool them down. Ultimately I didn't have any issues, but if I were to go tracking with 25 minute+ sessions I would not trust them. I mean they're $100 and basically just for DD status which is great. Some people buy $600 pads just for the track/street and that's more than ideal. Some of those people don't put more than 5-10k on their cars per year though.
Thanks for the feedback. Based on your experience, I'll be trying the Duralast Golds next.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Alternatives