IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

damn you sticky pedal

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-18, 02:37 PM
xaker777
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Angry damn you sticky pedal

hi. so today i have damaged my car.... hit a curb... i WASNT flooring it... gave it little gas car spun and brakes didnt work. initial thought is that driver fault not cars i know... but i literally was slightly pressing the gas when it just kept accelerating. tow truck driver says he deals a lot with toyotas and lexuses specifically on this matter, suggested i call corporate office... im at lose of words and alreadt have a headache. what would be you next action?
Old 11-04-18, 03:57 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Sorry to hear. But brakes don't work well while the car is spinning. Almost sounds like you were on bald tires too though.
doubt your claim will go anywhere also. But at the same time, definitely won't go anywhere if you don't try either.

V.
Old 11-04-18, 04:23 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,338 Posts

May I ask how long you have owned your ISF?

Lou
Old 11-04-18, 04:38 PM
mrfurlly
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sticking toyota/lexus accelerator pedal is a myth. Some dude crashed his car and used this as an excuse. Even if the accel is wide open, the brakes should stop the car.
Most studies of the black boxes in incidents like this have shown the driver never pressing the brake, they panicked thinking they were pressing the brake but instead were actually giving more throttle.
https://www.manufacturing.net/blog/2...what-it-seemed

Sucks you broke your car though. Can happen to any one. I would think insurance would cover it.
Old 11-04-18, 04:41 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what the insurance is for to cover the damages even if it's your own fault. FWIW, I had ISF for over 10 years and never once experienced a so-called sticky pedal or had seen anyone posted CL.

Originally Posted by xaker777
hi. so today i have damaged my car.... hit a curb... i WASNT flooring it... gave it little gas car spun and brakes didnt work. initial thought is that driver fault not cars i know... but i literally was slightly pressing the gas when it just kept accelerating. tow truck driver says he deals a lot with toyotas and lexuses specifically on this matter, suggested i call corporate office... im at lose of words and alreadt have a headache. what would be you next action?
Old 11-04-18, 07:37 PM
xaker777
Driver

Originally Posted by flowrider
May I ask how long you have owned your ISF?

Lou
its my daily car since may 2017. Daily flooring it, daily driving it good.... I have replaced tires maybe within last 10k miles.
Old 11-04-18, 07:41 PM
xaker777
Driver

Originally Posted by mrfurlly
The sticking toyota/lexus accelerator pedal is a myth. Some dude crashed his car and used this as an excuse. Even if the accel is wide open, the brakes should stop the car.
Most studies of the black boxes in incidents like this have shown the driver never pressing the brake, they panicked thinking they were pressing the brake but instead were actually giving more throttle.
https://www.manufacturing.net/blog/2...what-it-seemed

Sucks you broke your car though. Can happen to any one. I would think insurance would cover it.
im pretty sure I was pressing the brakes. I been commercial truck driver throughout America for 4+ years. Thro snow and wind, and black ice and any road condition u can think of. Still clean record and 0 accidents. I dont push a car more than I can handle. Esp near my own church. There is recall for the floor mat, maybe that it a problem. I didn't investigate anything right now...
Old 11-04-18, 07:45 PM
xaker777
Driver

Originally Posted by avgj0F
That's what the insurance is for to cover the damages even if it's your own fault. FWIW, I had ISF for over 10 years and never once experienced a so-called sticky pedal or had seen anyone posted CL.

I have been driving rear wheel drive since my first car, at 18yo. Still I have clean record and 0 accidents. I have liability only insurance since for me it's basically overpaying. And I never needed insurance in my life.... so yea. That doesn't cover my accidents... sadly
Old 11-04-18, 08:26 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Any pics of the car?

V.
Old 11-04-18, 09:02 PM
xaker777
Driver

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Any pics of the car?

V.
yea. Wife took some...

but this sums up what I'm working with...
Old 11-04-18, 10:16 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ouchh, sorry to hear about the accident.
Old 11-05-18, 01:59 AM
eddyisf
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by xaker777

I have been driving rear wheel drive since my first car, at 18yo. Still I have clean record and 0 accidents. I have liability only insurance since for me it's basically overpaying. And I never needed insurance in my life.... so yea. That doesn't cover my accidents... sadly

well now you can update your resume and add one accident 😁, all jokes aside take a picture of your gas pedal and post it. It will let us know if you had the recall done or not.
Old 11-05-18, 02:38 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

That’s pretty bad. Sorry to hear.

i have never heard of the throttle sticking in this platform. Aftermarket floor mats can sometimes cause pedal interference issues.

this is the best reason to have full coverage. So much is outside of our control, including outside factors and human error. It could have been chemicals on the road or your tires that made them slick, or just human error due to imperfection. Also temps effect certain tire compounds. Maybe it was all 3 issues. Eventually, we all make mistakes on a long enough time line. Hopefully you can get the car repaired quickly.

i have litigated for 11 years now, and personally i don’t see how Lexus would pick up the tab here unless there is some egregious issue with the car. There are too many variables and possibilities, and you carry the burden to prove there is a manufacturing issue in an old platform that does not have known throttle sticking issues.

all that being said, the worse they could say is no. I hope you find good fortune.
Old 11-05-18, 06:14 AM
xaker777
Driver

It has me wondering if rear suspension components are same as is350 from same generation? Godspeed, Megan, and figs all show some stuff that can be applied to 2is in general... but if anybody knows for sure it's you guys..
Old 11-05-18, 06:30 AM
yemgi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For aftermarket coilovers, rears are the same, fronts are different due to engine weight thus different spring rates

Quick Reply: damn you sticky pedal