IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

The 2008 ISF was perfect!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-18, 10:12 AM
1Timz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 2008 ISF was perfect!!!

I’m starting to think that Lexus had a certain amount of ISF”s they were going to build a year. The recession hit in 08 and car sales plummeted worldwide . I mean think about it years and hundreds of test around world renowned tracks and research and technology went into building the 08 ISF, so my question is this -is the 08/09 that bad in the suspension and handling dept with the electronic limited slip -or was it a marketing ploy to try to increase sales.?Does it justify the 5-7k dollar difference in price?Some say the e-diff found on the 08 helps out in the 0-60 times due to it not bogging down with the LSD.Any year ISF is amazing-I’m just curious on other thoughts.
Old 11-09-18, 10:20 AM
AlexSweISF
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've got an 08 w/ a 10 lsd. love it. could be the fact that i dont give a **** bout 0-60 and loves to slide the hell out of it haha
Old 11-09-18, 10:47 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a 08 and I don't mind it but then again ive never driven a later model ISF. But having had M3 before the ISF and it having legit LSD, it is a felt difference when you pushing the car. But that's not often for me so its almost a non factor(almost)
Old 11-09-18, 11:45 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

I have an 08 IS350 and a 13 F. My 350 one wheel spins all the time. The diff sucks. I have no idea how guys drive Fs with no LSD. It’s even worse when it rains, even when driving easy. My F only spins when I tell it too, and I can feel the outer tire pulling me around corners due to the diff. It’s such a drastic difference that I’ll put a diff in my 350 next year.

the people who say you can’t feel a difference on the street either haven’t driven one with an LSD or they never give it more than 30% throttle.... or my cars are both unicorns with way more than usual power.

i have said this a lot... all Fs are great machines, but if you want performance either buy a 10 plus or buy an 08-09 and an OS Giken, in which case you spent as much as a 12 anyway.
Old 11-09-18, 12:15 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

The differential was the biggest and basically only thing I modified on my 08 IS-F.

Its not "electronic" like the new cars with clutches, its basically the brakes kicking in on certain sides to try to give traction. Its not a system for a performance car by any means and they should have never released the car like that.

Whatever F car you get, address the wear/maintenance items and then do the differential.
The following users liked this post:
Jwconeil (11-09-18)
Old 11-10-18, 01:14 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It's really hard to consider the first model year of any car to be "perfect" per se, but I really like the enthusiasm and the subsequent desire to both own an IS F and push the car to make it exceed public expectations, especially that of certain publications that seem to hype the competition. Seeing Lexus improve the IS F year after year showed growth and understanding what it took to bring to market the type of vehicle that not only potential buyers want but also solidify as part of the first vehicle in the F performance heritage.

I will say this- I love my MY08! The vehicle itself was exactly what I wanted in terms of a purchase, ownership has been regret-free, stress-free, and above all else, trouble-free. But then in about late 2011, I had the opportunity to drive the MY12 IS F both on the streets and at the local track with the updated suspension and Torsen LSD. It was pretty impressive. I mean, it did shave time on its lap from the 2008 time for publication purposes, and shockingly tied the almighty M3 in lap time. Certainly it made me think of what I needed to do to bring my MY08 "up to par". Those fortunate enough were able to find carriers with the Torsen LSD at various junkyards and dismantler locations nationwide. Of course there weren't a lot to pick from, but back in the day, finding one listed online was like THE needle in the haystack. It left one other option for those, including myself, who wanted an LSD transplanted in the pre-2010 IS F (first MY with LSD)- aftermarket. OS Giken is the name, and the product this company made is certainly one that changed the IS F game. Those that have it know how great it is, even beyond the Torsen, but overall, the IS F is certainly much better with a true mechanical LSD.

Yes, there are a greater percentage of 2008s versus the following years. But it certainly isn't a slouch on the streets and only needed a slight rework by Lexus to make it an even more powerful contender against the likes of the M3 and C63 AMG. I am truly proud to own one, especially one of the first, and am even more proud of this particular community. The drag racing, track videos, countless modification threads, and overall persistent enthusiasm despite how easy it would be for someone to pick another platform and go forced induction to "make more power". The IS F's raw nature, somewhat compact size, and its ability to really shock and awe those that wish to go head to head are what adds to its reputation. Despite being discontinued in 2014, it is no shocker to me that it is still being sought after by people looking for one, no matter what model year.

My advice for any current or prospective buyers who are really looking hard at this platform- keep at it. Smiles per gallon far outweigh the detractors whispers of the "fake exhaust tips", which we all know serve a function or this being "just a Toyota", which isn't bad considering how many times I've seen the competition being towed away with their hazards flashing because those cars simply can't turn over for any various reason. I'm certainly not a fanboi, as I can appreciate all cars and builds. But this particular car....there's just an overwhelming joy about it when driving, even in a 2008 without LSD. That being said, if you want something newer and has everything already installed from the factory, a 2012+ IS F will be great. For someone that wants to modify his/her IS F but still retain the factory LSD, go with the 2010-11 IS F. And for those who wants to save costs and really wrench on the IS F, go with an 08-09 and mod the hell out of it. In any scenario, I have yet to find someone say anything negative about the car, even when they sold it. Some come back, while others regret selling it in the first place. It's just a great all around car.
Old 11-10-18, 08:56 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

I set out to get an Obsidian 11 and ended up with a Mercury Metallic 08 (with a 94 Experian Autoscore) out of sheer frustration & difficulty finding these cars. I have zero regrets with my purchase and look forward to driving the car every single non-salted-street day.
Old 11-12-18, 08:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

How in the world does a limited slip diff "bog down" a driveline? Who is saying something so stupid? Does actuating a rear wheel BRAKE sound like it isn't bogging the system down? The purveyors of this BS should bring their data.

Having an '08 with OEM suspension, driven at the track with eLSD and with the eLSD disabled by the pedal dance, I can surely tell you with an open diff, the car sucks driving out of a corner. OEM suspension does not have enough front spring to keep the inside rear wheel on the ground, so you'll see the engine tach out on exit as if you had a bad clutch. AMHIK. If you really think using the wheel brake to mimic an LSD is a better idea, then why did the IS F lap Fuji more than 5 seconds a lap faster with the (very limited) Torsen diff? Even the Torsen needs the eLSD to work because when the rear wheel comes off the ground (as it does in any decent turn exit because the front springs on the "overly stiff" '08 do that) the Torsen behaves exactly like an open diff.

This explains fully why I bought the OS Giken diff. I can turn the eLSD off and get everything the Torsen offers without the downside and without depending on two technologies to ensure I have no wheelspin exiting a turn. Ultimately, better spring rates will completely solve the problem, but reducing the spring rates to appease those who said it was too stiff is looking through the wrong end of the telescope.

I love my '08 with the Giken diff. I'll love it better after the transformation I am planning, but I'll do a build thread for that.

The litmus test for all of this is, if your IS F got totaled tomorrow, what would you buy? I am truly at a loss for something I would enjoy driving as much as I do my '08 with the limited mods I have now, which is why my next ride will be a McLaren for reasons that have nothing to do with what my IS F does for me daily.
Old 11-13-18, 07:42 PM
Jwconeil

If my ISF were totaled.... I’d buy an ISF and transplant my go fast goodies. And if that one were totaled... I’d buy an ISF. At least I could pull my 13 diff for the next one.
Old 11-19-18, 07:26 AM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

As much as I hate to admit it, if I were to go back 2 years, I wouldve bought a higher mileage 2011 ISF. 08 has horrible suspension, dated wheels, non led lights, no bluetooth.
Old 11-19-18, 08:25 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by ninten5
As much as I hate to admit it, if I were to go back 2 years, I wouldve bought a higher mileage 2011 ISF. 08 has horrible suspension, dated wheels, non led lights, no bluetooth.
I agree with you and have thought about upgrading from my 08 to an 11+ just recently, but the money I spent on coilovers, wheels, upgraded/custom lights, and a bluetooth dongle is still less than half of what a similar mileage 2011+ cost when I got mine. Hell, I put on my stock 08 wheels for winter this weekend, and forgot how good they looked, just needed spacers for an aggressive look. LSD would be nice to have, but I still had plenty of fun autoxing.
Old 11-19-18, 08:32 AM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

I agree with LexusfanVA, I would assume most people are going to change the suspension and wheels regardless of year. I added updated headlights my car, sold my old headlights and came out of pocket a total of $100 to make the swap. The only really expensive thing to swap is the LSD. I would buy an 08 again....and honestly I've never rode in an new F to see the suspension difference, but I don't think the 08 is even that bad.
The following users liked this post:
LexusfanVA (11-19-18)
Old 11-19-18, 09:37 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I originally aimed for a 2010 ISF but came back with a very good condition 08. No real regrets honestly but if I had to go back and do it again I would've waited and found the 2010 I wanted.

But I wont kid myself if my ISF got totaled, it would be GSF next. There isn't many cars I want right now but something more full size would be dope next
Old 11-19-18, 09:43 AM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
I originally aimed for a 2010 ISF but came back with a very good condition 08. No real regrets honestly but if I had to go back and do it again I would've waited and found the 2010 I wanted.

But I wont kid myself if my ISF got totaled, it would be GSF next. There isn't many cars I want right now but something more full size would be dope next
i prefer the IS but a few more inches of legroom in my car would be worth some more weight to me.
Old 11-19-18, 10:21 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmSW20

I totally get this. Having both in the garage, I drive them back and forth all the time. I would likely get a GS F simply because it won't be hard to find one unmolested. Finding an IS F unmolested will be hard, and I'll face the same problem I have right now - a relatively minor accident will result in losing the car because the cost of repair is so high on a car at least 6 MYs old. Mine turns 10 next month and I have to really think hard about what I want to do with it going forward. Dumping a ton of money in a DD isn't prudent at this point and even though doing that would be fun, it won't be anything like the fun I plan to have with my next automotive purchase.

Quick Reply: The 2008 ISF was perfect!!!