IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Intuitive Parking Assist Front Sensor.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-18, 01:46 PM
trujtru
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Intuitive Parking Assist Front Sensor.

I figure more people have the parking assist on their ISF than the other 2IS crowd.

For those people who have parking assist on their car, how close do you have to get to an object before the front sensors go off? ​​​​​I felt like I got pretty close to the car when I turned out of a parallel parking space. I purposely turned close to the car to see if the sensor would go off like the rears do (ie slow beeps first, followed by more constant beeps as I get closer) when I'm reversing, but it doesn't. I know the sensors work because when my girlfriend walked by them when the car was in neutral, the sensor just made a solid beep.

Does the front only work only in certain gear positions? Is there a way to adjust the sensors to have more sensitivity in the front? I know on the nav you can adjust the rear, but nothing for the front.

Let me know your experience with your sensors.
Old 11-20-18, 03:07 PM
sleepstate
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

All of that is in the owners manual, around page 160.
All Lexus owners manuals are available Lexus website for free in PDF.
Old 11-20-18, 04:55 PM
trujtru
Driver

Originally Posted by sleepstate
All of that is in the owners manual, around page 160.
All Lexus owners manuals are available Lexus website for free in PDF.
Thanks,I knew that information.

What I actually really wanted to know is your real world experience with the front sensors since this is new to me.

So when the car is in neutral and people walk by, the warning sensor will pop up on the navi saying there is an object near by. When the car is in drive, and I get close to another car or object, definitely within 1.5ft and a half, it doesn't beep/warn me at all, even if i'm going less than 6 mph. Is this normal?
Old 11-20-18, 06:27 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I may be wrong but I feel like there isn't a sensor at the front of the car (12 o' clock position). Whenever I am parallel parking, I cannot rely on the sensors to warn me about the front.
Old 11-20-18, 06:47 PM
trujtru
Driver

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
I may be wrong but I feel like there isn't a sensor at the front of the car (12 o' clock position). Whenever I am parallel parking, I cannot rely on the sensors to warn me about the front.
There isn't one at the 12' o clock position, but there are two front corner sensors. I'm guessing from your experience the front corner ones are useless?

Definitely doesn't beep when I parallel park or when I turn into a parking space slow. I'm wondering if that's just how it was designed. I read threads where people with RC-F complain about how the front corner sensors don't really do anything.

Anyone else have the sensors. Let me know your experience
Old 11-20-18, 08:13 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 173 Likes on 94 Posts

Mine go off as I pull out of the garage or if the dog runs around in front. Maybe 6 inches. Maybe a bit more.
Old 11-20-18, 08:26 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by trujtru
There isn't one at the 12' o clock position, but there are two front corner sensors. I'm guessing from your experience the front corner ones are useless?

Definitely doesn't beep when I parallel park or when I turn into a parking space slow. I'm wondering if that's just how it was designed. I read threads where people with RC-F complain about how the front corner sensors don't really do anything.

Anyone else have the sensors. Let me know your experience
The ones on the front side (10 and 2 o' clock) work fine. If I recall correctly, there are 3 sensitivity settings for the parking sensors. I forget where it is at... might be to the left of the steering wheel as an actual button or in the menu settings on the nav screen but I recall it showing up in the top left of the speedometer where it shows temperature, gears, etc. in the 2012+ speedometer. I set mine to be more sensitive (detects items further away at an earlier rate) to give me a margin for error. Sounds like yours may be less sensitive.

Edit: Just checked and it seems like I confused the radar cruise control with the parking sensor . Looks like the only sensitivity setting is for the rear sensors.

Last edited by djyoshi626; 11-20-18 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-21-18, 05:29 AM
trujtru
Driver

Originally Posted by McPierson
Mine go off as I pull out of the garage or if the dog runs around in front. Maybe 6 inches. Maybe a bit more.
Sounds like the sensor goes off in reverse. I tested mine yesterday. Parked really close to an object and it didnt go off when the car was in park or reverse. When I changed the gear to neutral, it beeped with 3 bars. Changed it to park, the beeping turned off. I'll have to figure out what the problem is then.

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
The ones on the front side (10 and 2 o' clock) work fine. If I recall correctly, there are 3 sensitivity settings for the parking sensors. I forget where it is at... might be to the left of the steering wheel as an actual button or in the menu settings on the nav screen but I recall it showing up in the top left of the speedometer where it shows temperature, gears, etc. in the 2012+ speedometer. I set mine to be more sensitive (detects items further away at an earlier rate) to give me a margin for error. Sounds like yours may be less sensitive.

Edit: Just checked and it seems like I confused the radar cruise control with the parking sensor . Looks like the only sensitivity setting is for the rear sensors.
Thanks for the response. Yeah to adjust sensitivity is just the rear. But in my reply above, mine doesn't even go off in drive or reverse which I find weird.