IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Long overview review of the General Tire GMAX RS summer Tire pleasantly surprised

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-18, 06:05 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Long overview review of the General Tire GMAX RS summer Tire pleasantly surprised

Hey guys sorry about the delay wanted to live with tires for few months and see how they performed under different weather, roads, breaking, noise, handling etc. Also had cervical fusion
on several vertebrae, slip disks and herniated disk of my lumbar and hip issue had accident at work cant discuss .Let just say my car is in better shape than I am �� lol. Because of these physical issues I have not been driving my car much most time my car was driven by my brother or friends. I spent a lot of time as passenger thats why it's takes me a long time to do review. Also HAD to modify my suspension but that's a whole other thread.

Here repost of I did for a CL member asking questions about GMAX RS

The reason I went with Gmax was couldn't get the Firehawk Indy 500 anywhere at the time they were completely sold out no matter where I looked. I was talking to one of the tirerack reps when he recommended this tire to me he had told me that they had recently went on a track Day event for tirerack and this is one of the tires that they were using that day. One of the things he told me was that everyone seem to really like the tire that it was comprable to Firehawk and it had a 45-day trial. If you didn't like them you can send them back. I called tirerack the next day spoke to a different rep ask him about the gmax and his experience he basically told me the same thing great Tire excellent in the wet very good in the dry. One of the things I did find out online was that it had one second place for best new tire at Sema 2017 behind all terrain tire. They will come be oem tires for 715hp Roush Mustang.
Here are three reviews if you haven't seen them yet. The Firehawk indy 500 is great tire i i don't see much of difference with these two other than Firehawk may have bit better grip in dry but Gmax has better grip in wet and higher wear capability it's basically a 50000 mile Tire which is crazy for high-performance summer Tire. Since you're in California rain isn't that big of an issue for you as it is for me here being in New York where it rains a whole lot LOL.

https://www.sema.org/news/2017/10/31...-award-winners

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/gene...ires-are-made/

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/p...s-to-the-test/

Its excellent in the rain very good in the dry you're getting an a rated A quality tire but paying B rated tire price. There relatively quiet extremely compliant over rough roads potholes Expansion Joints things of that nature very good ride quality.
They have AA Traction rating highest you can get, W speed rating 168mph thats higher than toyo R888 They are 360 wear which means 60000 miles that crazy high for UHP summer tire and A temperature rating once again the highest rating you can get. On scale of 1 to 10
10 being best like Michelin PS4 I rate them 8.5 to 9 because of their great wet characteristics similar to the old Michelin PSS. But half price. These and Firehawk Indy 500 are both great tires for price. There are a few tires that have better dry grip such as of PS4s and a few others. But for price and what you get they are bargin. If your looking for ultimate in Traction then PS4 are still great in that depart but these are not to far behind.

I have the them in 255 /35/19F they did not rub stock and with 1in drop in front same goes for 275/35/19R. No issues usless your really lowered.

One last thing Gmax RS are 4lbs lighter than Firehawk 500. I fell firehawk have just bit more dry traction but Gmax are very close and way better in wet in hands down. Long life, more comfortable compliant quieter Tire.

I may just post this up as thread your third person this month asking about them.

SO if you're looking for a great handling responsive tire that is phenomenal in the rain great in the dry not noisy compliance ride and won't break the bank these are great alternative are they as good as Michelin PS4s no are they pretty close yes
The Weapon F

Last edited by Weapon F; 11-21-18 at 06:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Weapon F:
AndrewISF (11-22-18), MGallagher (11-28-18)
Old 11-21-18, 08:07 PM
Weapon F

Gmax RS Tire pics

The following users liked this post:
MGallagher (11-28-18)
Old 11-22-18, 02:11 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Good write up, I run Firestone Indy 500 (bridgestone Potenza 003 in OZ) front and PS 4S on the rear very grippy. Hope your back and hip come good, I know a little how you feel my back is rooted after 40 yrs of dirt bikes, all the best.
Old 11-22-18, 05:57 PM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by isfvss
Good write up, I run Firestone Indy 500 (bridgestone Potenza 003 in OZ) front and PS 4S on the rear very grippy. Hope your back and hip come good, I know a little how you feel my back is rooted after 40 yrs of dirt bikes, all the best.
Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-24-18, 07:09 PM
NjzFinest
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great review! Im a General tire fan as Im running their Gmax-03 on my Jeep Srt wheels and very happy with them. I may think about the RS for the ISF
Old 11-25-18, 07:16 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

The weight difference is significant. Sorry about your back. I’ll need a fusion eventually.... it’s no fun.
Old 11-25-18, 01:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,439 Posts

I've been avoiding cervical and lumbar fusion for more than 10 years and I've found a much better long term solution for those who are willing to try something different. PM me for details. There is no reason in the world to fuse vertebrae if you have not tried this first.
Old 11-27-18, 07:21 AM
smiley424
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the in depth review. I have added these tires on to my list for the future.
Old 11-27-18, 10:59 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

i just got this tires on the rears over the summer and very pleased with them so far, i will add the fronts this upcoming summer
Old 11-28-18, 05:03 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by blackisF08
i just got this tires on the rears over the summer and very pleased with them so far, i will add the fronts this upcoming summer
Is there a specific reason you only put them on the rears?
Old 11-28-18, 08:36 AM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DekNgo
Is there a specific reason you only put them on the rears?
front tires were brand new so i only needed rears at the time
Old 11-28-18, 10:51 AM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

Tread pattern looks almost exactly the same as Hankook V12s with only very minor differences. Interesting.
Old 11-28-18, 12:26 PM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 159 Posts

Thanks for the review! I ran BF Goodrich Sport Comp2's and got a fair bit of life from them, 20k+ miles along with 2 autox days and drag strip trip. They got a little loud towards the end, but the benefit of symmetrical tread was I could flip/cross mount them. These look to share that benefit as well. Great tip about the weight of them being low as well.
Old 11-29-18, 04:25 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by blackisF08

front tires were brand new so i only needed rears at the time
Oh, haha.
Old 11-29-18, 03:33 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 82 Posts

So I ended up picking up a set from tirerack last month after reading Weapon F's first initial review of these tires. I was running Bridgestone S-04's (245/35 F & 285/30R) before and loved the Bridgestones, but thought I'd give the General G Max a try. I ended up getting 255/35F & 275/30R and have been driving/commuting on these tires for about a month now. Within the month in California, we've seen 75+ degree weather to now 38 degree cold/rainy mornings. Just in the first month of driving on these, rode noise is similar to the Bridgestones, haven't experienced the same flat spotting I was getting with the Bridgestones when they were cold, tires perform great on a launch and in turns when they get warmed up, and they've handled very well in the rain to my surprise.

If I were to change anything, it would be to go with 245's in the front because I can hear this tire chewing up my fender liners going up and down driveways and hitting dips on the highway. I'm probably lowered close to 2".... I'll report back in a few months.

Quick Reply: Long overview review of the General Tire GMAX RS summer Tire pleasantly surprised