IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Modified Exhaust ticket

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-18, 10:52 AM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Modified Exhaust ticket

So last night I was basically targeted by the cops while driving home at 2 am. I made a u-turn and there was a cop approaching about a 1/4 mile down the road. She later pulled me over saying she was chasing me and had to go over 60 mph to catch me... that’s a complete lie because it was raining, my cars on a donut from a flat so I can’t even speed, and I was 100% going like 35. After me proving she was lying she comes back and makes me roll up my windows and gives me a tint ticket and modified exhaust ticket, both correctable violations. Pretty stupid because even tho I have the bazooka exhaust I was accelerating at like a snails pace. When she gave me the ticket she said I have to appear in court. It doesn’t have a fine or anything on the ticket. My question is are they just going to send me something later that says I have to pay or get it signed off or do I actually have to go to court? If I have to go to court can I just show pictures of the car before it was tinted and had exhaust to show “proof” it was taken care of or do I need to get it signed off?

and before everyone tells me to just correct everything, that’s too much of a hassle I have things to do and don’t have time to take everything off and put it all back on. Would rather just pay a fine
Old 12-06-18, 11:05 AM
smaggs
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

That sucks. Up here in Vancouver, we have to take the vehicle to authorized mechanics to "inspect" the vehicle and sign off that it's not violating anything to clear the ticket. It's a completely subjective ticket by police that the vehicle owner has to cough up $150 fee for the inspection whether or not the vehicle is actually in violation of any motor vehicle restrictions or not. I would be curious to know if Cali is the same....i hope not, because the system is completely flawed. I'm with you in that i'd much rather just pay the fine that have to actually correct everything because we all know it's going right back on afterwards, haha.
Old 12-06-18, 11:38 AM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

California is ridiculous lmao basically anybody can get pulled over and the cops can say they are in violation of something stupid and will give you a bogus ticket with the amount of stupid laws there are (no tint, front plate, exhaust, aftermarket headlight bulbs, etc). Basically everybody in the Central Valley has either tinted windows or exhaust, pretty stupid that I had to be the one to get picked on
Old 12-06-18, 12:30 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 545 Likes on 361 Posts

https://celicahobby.com/tech/pdf/CHP...in-Exhaust.pdf
Old 12-07-18, 06:30 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010ISF
California is ridiculous lmao basically anybody can get pulled over and the cops can say they are in violation of something stupid and will give you a bogus ticket with the amount of stupid laws there are (no tint, front plate, exhaust, aftermarket headlight bulbs, etc). Basically everybody in the Central Valley has either tinted windows or exhaust, pretty stupid that I had to be the one to get picked on
It's the same in VA, the max legal tint for sedans is 50%, or 35% with a waiver, same rules about louder exhaust, front plate etc and the VA cops in most places make most of their revenue of that. In MD it's better but worse, cops are more lenient, but if they do ticket you it's more of a repair order, that you have to put it back to stock and get it repaired and inspected by both an inspection station and the local police inspection station. I dealt with that last year when dealing with tint which was an extreme headache. I paid a shop to install 35% tint, but trying to register in MD I had it fail due to being 30%. In MD you can have 35% or lower with a medical waiver, but it's much harder to get it in MD for some reason. I called over 18 different optometrists and no one would. Anyways, paid to take it off, registered and paid to put on 35% LEGAL tint. A month later a cop pulled me just for tint and it read 29% this time. Had to pay yet again to remove, inspect, and put back on 40% tint, which reads with a tint meter as 34%. I hope to god I don't get pulled again because this is just plain ridiculous..Partly why I won't go headers, cuz emissions is just as strict.
Old 12-07-18, 07:55 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

I think one time my friend said he got a ticket for not having an exhaust on his Tesla..........cop said it's too quiet and he's gonna eventually hit someone and recommended the HKS version for his Tesla
Old 12-07-18, 08:20 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
It's the same in VA, the max legal tint for sedans is 50%, or 35% with a waiver, same rules about louder exhaust, front plate etc and the VA cops in most places make most of their revenue of that. In MD it's better but worse, cops are more lenient, but if they do ticket you it's more of a repair order, that you have to put it back to stock and get it repaired and inspected by both an inspection station and the local police inspection station. I dealt with that last year when dealing with tint which was an extreme headache. I paid a shop to install 35% tint, but trying to register in MD I had it fail due to being 30%. In MD you can have 35% or lower with a medical waiver, but it's much harder to get it in MD for some reason. I called over 18 different optometrists and no one would. Anyways, paid to take it off, registered and paid to put on 35% LEGAL tint. A month later a cop pulled me just for tint and it read 29% this time. Had to pay yet again to remove, inspect, and put back on 40% tint, which reads with a tint meter as 34%. I hope to god I don't get pulled again because this is just plain ridiculous..Partly why I won't go headers, cuz emissions is just as strict.
Wow that sounds like a hassle. I live in MD and got a tint ticket for GS. I had 40% windshield 20% everywhere else on a black/black GS 400 I knew the risk but it took 18 months to finally get stopped and he stopped me because my OEM fog lights were yellow. When I told him they were OEM and I never changed them he seem to get pissed then went to tint, vehicle height, tail lights which were are depo red/smoked. He pretty much threw the book at me it was full repair orders for all plus fine and court. As far as emissions they plug into obdII and no visual so with headers you should be fine can't have CEL on obviously.
Old 12-09-18, 01:51 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

What a nightmare. I would find another hobby if I lived in those states. I had a job prospect this last summer in Cali. I lost interest after reading about the car laws and cost of living.
Old 12-10-18, 02:56 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

That sucks a lot. I've never been ticketed for my exhaust when I was on the delete. Currently I just have an X force exhaust cant bust me now haha. Planning to get my tailights tinted hope they won't bust me down.
Old 12-10-18, 07:09 AM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah the **** state of VA gave me a exhaust ticket on my HKS G35 within a week, never put an exhaust on any of my cars after that. Headers wont pass emissions, either.
Old 12-10-18, 08:36 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Maybe Indiana isn’t that bad of a place to live after all.
Old 12-10-18, 12:18 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 81 Posts

Those are all correctable violations. There should be a check mark box next to where the violation was written listing it as correctable or not. If she marked it as correctable, go to the police station, chp office or show any police officer and show them that these "violations" have been fixed, they sign the ticket, you pay a small fine thats listed, mail it in, done. OR if you have any friends who are police officers, just have them sign it so you don't have to remove your tint or get your stock exhaust put back on (do at your own discretion). If the exhaust is non correctable and you have to go to a state ref, thats a different story.
Old 12-10-18, 09:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
"cop said it's too quiet"

It's a cop thing: anything you say is wrong. Every stop is an ego trip, "do what I say, or I'll punish you". Reference: latent homosexuality.
"Anything you say can and will be used AGAINST you in a court of law" What more does one need to say that show how foolish it is to say ANYTHING to a "peace officer"?
Old 12-11-18, 05:52 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ninten5
Yeah the **** state of VA gave me a exhaust ticket on my HKS G35 within a week, never put an exhaust on any of my cars after that. Headers wont pass emissions, either.
Few years ago friend bought a bone stock STI and got stopped for exhaust in Fairfax County he went to court with paperwork from dealership showing purchase date and that it wasn't modded for it to be dismissed.
Old 12-11-18, 06:21 AM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
Few years ago friend bought a bone stock STI and got stopped for exhaust in Fairfax County he went to court with paperwork from dealership showing purchase date and that it wasn't modded for it to be dismissed.
Thats sad. On a bone stock car. I got stopped with the F sometime ago and I pulled the "I imported the car from Canada, it came like that" excuse still got a bunch of citations.

Quick Reply: Modified Exhaust ticket