IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus of Thousand Oaks....funny dealer games

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-18, 09:51 AM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts
Default Lexus of Thousand Oaks....funny dealer games

I know this comes to no surprise at all but just needed to express a funny episode with a dealer yesterday.

So I’ve been going to Lexus of Thousand Oaks for service and warranty work for the past 2 years and some odd months since I got my ISF. I get mostly warranty work done as I’ve come to learn quickly that their service and parts department is just out to swindle people out of money (like any other dealership), so recently I have just been going there for the oil changes and the complementary car wash (I bring my own oil so I just pay $50 for labor, the oil filter, and the car wash).

So yesterday I come in and business as usual. I tell them the usual.....oil change, please don’t over fill the oil as they have done that previously, and to look at my door panels as I got the notice from Lexus on Friday. They said sure no problem. So the SA starts taking photos of the dash and door panels and starts to call the parts department to start ordering. Another SA who overheard across the room immediately told my SA to hang up the phone and to have the general manager to review and take pictures. Okay fair enough. He then proceeds to tell my SA that the only thing covered is the dash and not the door panels. I’m not angry at this point because this is the same SA that told me that having my coolant level at low level on cold is normal... which is not true per the owners manual...when I called him out on it he didn’t even apologize and blamed his tech for the misinformation. So anyway, my SA rescheduled for an inspection tomorrow. Okay, I’ll take that one.

On that day I also made an appointment with the sales manager to “appraise” my car (I was looking to see if I can get myself into a used low mileage RCF as a little Xmas gift for myself). I know that dealer was going to give me a ****ty deal but you never know until you try right? So they inspect the car....didn’t drive it....as it was getting an oil change and the manager verbatim told me “ we can usually sell this (08 with 88k miles) for around 28-30....but I can only give you the auction price of $19k.” I assumed he was worried about the consumables on the car like brakes and tires. When I told him all four tires were brand new as of June/July and front rotors,pads, and fluid replaced. He still stood firm. No negotiation? Okay.

My SA then tells me my cars is done. I proceed to his desk and he mentioned they performed a multi-point inspection (which I never requested). They found my front shocks at “level 2” and rear shocks at “level 3”....(lol, they told me that’s their rating system of a condition for a shock...1 is bad and 5 is good). They said all shocks were leaking and I need new shocks. Fair enough... I have 88,100 miles on the car and have been looking at shocks just in case. The quote was $2,200 lolololololololol. $1,000 for the shocks and $1,200 for labor. On Lparts I can get all 08 shocks for $800-ish shipped and labor to install for all 4 around $300 in my area. I just smiled.... trying not to laugh out loud and said no thank you.

Got the car and went home....drove it home and thought....man even with my crap door panels (which look fine until you see the melted parts on the edges) and how analog-ish my ISF compared to a new-ish RCF....I don’t think I’d get rid of her unless the valley plate happens after my warranty period is up.

Then I later check my oil... half a quart overfilled.... LOL.
Old 12-16-18, 09:55 AM
cvt
Racer

Oh by the way... when I asked for the multi-point inspection checklist that they claimed to have performed. They mysteriously “lost it”. LOL
Old 12-16-18, 11:03 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

I swear, I feel like I'm reading a post I published during a multiple personality moment. This is all so true, top to bottom. It's infuriating.

Last time I was at the dealer for service, I had a small amount of respectful requests, such as "don't overfill." The sa went as far to tell me "you really should be doing this yourself."

They always seem to forget you've got a cpo as well when it comes time to leave. I don't give a damn about dealership amenities, potato chips, coffee, orange juice, couches, TVs. Get the wax outta your ears, check your Twitter attention span at the door, and listen to what I'm saying - I'm not asking much.

Well I'm taking his advice and am doing future maintenance myself. All of it - already started. The ONLY reason I didn't in the past was to keep the records current.

Someone commented awhile back that one can subscribe to a Lexus service where you can update your own records. Anyone know any details about this? Such as how do you do it, does it positively impact Autocheck / CarFax, etc. Or is it useless?
The following users liked this post:
GaaraOTS (12-16-18)
Old 12-16-18, 02:20 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You can add your own maintenance on the LexusDrivers.com service history. Not sure if it shows up anywhere else or if it’s just for your records
The following users liked this post:
Quadrphnia (12-21-18)
Old 12-16-18, 03:54 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 173 Likes on 94 Posts

Reliable Lexus in Springfield Mo has an awesome parts counter. I know at least two by name and I think they know me.

Not meaning to rub salt. That’s the kind of behavior that will trash the brand for everyone. BMW is know for poor treatment and that ultimately hurts resale value. Shame on Lexus for not reigning that in. No way new doors are not in order for you. Time for a road trip and a second opinion. Maybe wait till summer or a sunny day.
Old 12-17-18, 07:56 AM
topguy573
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by McPierson
Reliable Lexus in Springfield Mo has an awesome parts counter. I know at least two by name and I think they know me.

Not meaning to rub salt. That’s the kind of behavior that will trash the brand for everyone. BMW is know for poor treatment and that ultimately hurts resale value. Shame on Lexus for not reigning that in. No way new doors are not in order for you. Time for a road trip and a second opinion. Maybe wait till summer or a sunny day.

glad to hear about another dealership in MO. When my car needs dealership attention i go to Plaza, but have been looking for another spot to go to.
Old 12-17-18, 04:19 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 173 Likes on 94 Posts

I’ve not used the service department much. They are nice and no waiting. For reference. I just showed up at 4 on a Friday and they evaluated my doors without batting an eyelash. Gave me a loaner for the replacement.
Old 12-17-18, 04:37 PM
cvt
Racer

So I brought my car back to have the lead service manager inspect my door panels and he said he will put in a request to have all 4 replaced but is pending approval from Lexus. If they do this, I may have my faith restored. We'll see.
Old 12-20-18, 11:01 PM
cvt
Racer

Well, good news. Got a text from my SA that all 4 door panels are ordered but will take 2 months as it is coming from Japan. He said to follow up with him in a month. So good news!
Old 12-21-18, 10:34 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusNN
You can add your own maintenance on the LexusDrivers.com service history. Not sure if it shows up anywhere else or if it’s just for your records
Thanks for this!
Old 12-22-18, 07:14 AM
vertex16
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by topguy573
glad to hear about another dealership in MO. When my car needs dealership attention i go to Plaza, but have been looking for another spot to go to.
Plaza seems like they know what they are doing when I went there. I spoke with Paul there, and I'm thinking of getting my transmission fluid changed there as he's the ONLY SA that actually sounded like he knew what the process entails lol
Old 12-22-18, 08:01 AM
Prezajf
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m surprised a dealer let you bring your own oil. I’ve been procrastinating about taking mines for the dash/door panels. I’m a SA myself for an independent shop and it sucks that dealership SA make us look like crooks lol. I like to tell people we take the more common sense approach on vehicles without throwing a whole kitchen sink and island at you
Old 12-22-18, 11:33 AM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lexus of Valencia CA always messes up on my car had the dash replaced and they did put the little vent back on that's by the passenger vent. Then I noticed a few miles down the road the gps wasn't calculating the route correctly come to find out the antenna in the back isn't plugged in. Looks like I'll be doing that myself because I don't feel like driving an hour for crappy service.
Old 12-22-18, 03:02 PM
cvt
Racer

I know Longo has had good reviews but it’s 60miles from my house. I’ve been to Lexus Woodland Hills once and I was not impressed by their knowledge either.
Old 12-22-18, 03:12 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

why not just change the oil by yourself its so easy...

Quick Reply: Lexus of Thousand Oaks....funny dealer games