Key is not detected - Not a battery issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-18, 12:37 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Key is not detected - Not a battery issue

Hi all,

Ive googled and read many posts about this but most point towards changing the batteries. I have done this when i first bough the car and got the "key is not detected" issue and new batteries did solve the problem but not this time.

Last few weeks im getting this message return (key is not detected). So i got a new battery online, changed it and a day or so later the message returned. I changed the battery again (thinking maybe dud battery) and again the message returns.

Ive also tried my spare key and the same issue so i know its doubtful all these batteries are failing. I went to a shop, they tested my battery and said its good. They checked the keyfob for me with some machine and said its emiting a strong signal and suggested maybe the sensor in the car.

I dont believe its a blocking signal issue as i have had this message appear in my garage, out in public and various places.

Ive kind of dismissed and just persisted with this for now but yesterday for the first time the car wouldnt start. After several attempts and placing the keyfob near the starter button, it did eventually start (not sure if just coincidence or placing the fob near the starter actually helped) as the battery is fine. Since the problem starting yesterday, ive since started the car 3 times and it worked no problem so its a hit and miss thing.

Any ideas what could be causing me this issue?
Old 12-17-18, 01:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Have you done any work in/under/on the center console, maybe spilled a drink down there? They call the device an oscillator, but it's just a small radio transceiver that communicates with the keyless entry fob. To get key not detected, it has to be the one in the center console.not working properly. You should always be able to start by holding the key next to the start button. There is a small coil there that generates a field to detect the chip in the key even if the key has no power. If that doesn't work as well, then you have a certification ECU problem and the dealer is the only way to solve that one.

If you have access to Techstream there is a key test you can perform to diagnose performance issues with the keyless entry system. I've played with it when I was programming keys, but never had to actually troubleshoot something with it.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 12-17-18 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-17-18, 01:58 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Yes i actually have had work done underneath the centre console when i had it removed to have my GROM Vline installed about 5 months ago. Is this part the "Door key oscillator" or is there another oscillator. Google searches take me to pics of the door key one.

Thanks for the info, i didnt realise the culprit part was in the middle console vs under the dash.

I have had my steering wheel changed lately, could there be a part underneath the dash that effects it as well?
Old 12-17-18, 02:01 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Forgot to mention, gaining entry and locking the car always works, its just the "Key not detected" message and only yesterday i had the issue of the car not starting in the first instance. Prior to this its just been a message (car drives, starts great) and locking/unlocking works fine
Old 12-17-18, 02:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Yes, it's the center console "oscillator" that is having issues. I went through the troubleshooting and from your description of the fault, it's pretty clear the doors are fine, it's just the center console that has the problem. And key not detected is different from battery low. I've seen both of those messages, so I know what activity is likely to cause them.
Old 12-17-18, 06:27 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Cheers. From the attachment you sent, i can see 2 centre console oscilattors (front and rear, not sure where the rear would be located).

Now i have an idea what it looks like ill remove the centre console section to see if its a simple (something loose) fix otherwise i may have to visit the dealer for a replacement part.
Old 12-17-18, 10:24 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

i have issues with my remote lately unlocking the car as i approach it. changed the batteries also and no difference. any tips on what to look for for a fix would be excellent
Old 12-18-18, 08:34 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by jlam86
i have issues with my remote lately unlocking the car as i approach it. changed the batteries also and no difference. any tips on what to look for for a fix would be excellent
I got my credit card key just for this reason. Unintended button presses. It sounds like your key fob has a faulty button - stuck on. Not an easy fix unless you are talented at soldering.
Old 12-18-18, 02:21 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I got my credit card key just for this reason. Unintended button presses. It sounds like your key fob has a faulty button - stuck on. Not an easy fix unless you are talented at soldering.
Or it could be the door handle sensors thinking that it is being touched. If I have my keys in my pocket and spray the water hose on the car door handles, the car will unlock.
Old 12-18-18, 04:02 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I think jlam86 meant he's not able to unlock the car as he's approaching. Hence the battery change to no avail.