IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Slight dilemma between two cars!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-19, 11:11 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,389 Likes on 638 Posts

Well, let me step in quick. First things first, my choice hands down will be the ISF. Call me one sided. BUT here is why, especially with my background coming from a performance shop. The IS300, while enjoyable, is outdated. They are smaller, dime a dozen, can be had for under $5K and why? Because it was an overproduced NA sedan that was alright for its time. It has a 2JZ, great, one thing I didn't see listed was whether it was a boosted GE or a GTE swap. We all know 2J's have the potential to make stupid power, but it's going to cost you. I've always learned the hard way not to buy someone else toy. An IS300 making 500hp was beat to **** more than likely, consistently. The cost of up keep is pretty up there too, 2J's have their common problems, not to mention if its a GE it'll be toast with some heavy abuse in a matter of months. Now if it's swapped, which swap was it? Aristo, supra, soarer etc? They all have slight variances within the design and some have more problems than another. And lets not get me started on how it was built or tuned.

So moving on to the ISF, it's a 2UR-GSE engine. Which failure rate on those engines is next to none when basic maintenance is done. you have 400whp NA, beefy V8, with room to grow in terms of power. It's an automatic... boohoo. Honestly, I drive a manual daily and STILL would prefer at my ripe age of 28 to have an auto for a daily. Next up is the fact that it's newer. It looks amazing, interiors are great, new technology on the inside. You kind of get what you pay for in retrospect. Not to mention that there were only ever 10,000 made. It's an elite class of it's own with rarity behind it. Why not go for that? If you get bored with power, supercharge it. For the Street 500whp is more than enough. We have customers who daily and race them. track and strip. Supercharged ISF was running 10's all day. That's pretty impressive, and it's holding up no problem. We have a shop ISF that we track, perfect compression across the board for one that's been supercharged and heavily abused.

Vote 1 ISF.

Now on to the GTR statement, I myself, when I jumped aboard RR, was looking to purchase a GTR. Why? Eh, I wanted to be "that guy" who daily drove a GTR in the snow with 0 F's to give. BUT fun thing about GTR's depending on the year and generation of the R35's, is once you get close to 500hp you're going to need a trans upgrade immediately. So on top of that squishy amount you just paid, plus doing FBO + Tune, now you need to drop another $3-6K with Jack's before you can really start getting on it or just have the clutch plates detonate in the trans and give up on life. They make power, yes, BUT they are not a street car. It's an uncomfortable ride with how stiff the suspension is. Parts + Tuning + Maintenance is just as expensive as modding a BMW. So in terms of cost for performance on a car, a rare car, and a more reliable car, ISF/RCF would still be in my sights before hand. And let's be honest, they are ugly as sin and giant boats from it's former self.

-Sean
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 01-23-19, 11:43 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Well, let me step in quick. First things first, my choice hands down will be the ISF. Call me one sided. BUT here is why, especially with my background coming from a performance shop. The IS300, while enjoyable, is outdated. They are smaller, dime a dozen, can be had for under $5K and why? Because it was an overproduced NA sedan that was alright for its time. It has a 2JZ, great, one thing I didn't see listed was whether it was a boosted GE or a GTE swap. We all know 2J's have the potential to make stupid power, but it's going to cost you. I've always learned the hard way not to buy someone else toy. An IS300 making 500hp was beat to **** more than likely, consistently. The cost of up keep is pretty up there too, 2J's have their common problems, not to mention if its a GE it'll be toast with some heavy abuse in a matter of months. Now if it's swapped, which swap was it? Aristo, supra, soarer etc? They all have slight variances within the design and some have more problems than another. And lets not get me started on how it was built or tuned.

So moving on to the ISF, it's a 2UR-GSE engine. Which failure rate on those engines is next to none when basic maintenance is done. you have 400whp NA, beefy V8, with room to grow in terms of power. It's an automatic... boohoo. Honestly, I drive a manual daily and STILL would prefer at my ripe age of 28 to have an auto for a daily. Next up is the fact that it's newer. It looks amazing, interiors are great, new technology on the inside. You kind of get what you pay for in retrospect. Not to mention that there were only ever 10,000 made. It's an elite class of it's own with rarity behind it. Why not go for that? If you get bored with power, supercharge it. For the Street 500whp is more than enough. We have customers who daily and race them. track and strip. Supercharged ISF was running 10's all day. That's pretty impressive, and it's holding up no problem. We have a shop ISF that we track, perfect compression across the board for one that's been supercharged and heavily abused.

Vote 1 ISF.

Now on to the GTR statement, I myself, when I jumped aboard RR, was looking to purchase a GTR. Why? Eh, I wanted to be "that guy" who daily drove a GTR in the snow with 0 F's to give. BUT fun thing about GTR's depending on the year and generation of the R35's, is once you get close to 500hp you're going to need a trans upgrade immediately. So on top of that squishy amount you just paid, plus doing FBO + Tune, now you need to drop another $3-6K with Jack's before you can really start getting on it or just have the clutch plates detonate in the trans and give up on life. They make power, yes, BUT they are not a street car. It's an uncomfortable ride with how stiff the suspension is. Parts + Tuning + Maintenance is just as expensive as modding a BMW. So in terms of cost for performance on a car, a rare car, and a more reliable car, ISF/RCF would still be in my sights before hand. And let's be honest, they are ugly as sin and giant boats from it's former self.

-Sean
nope , maybe those for CBA , for all DBA , just FBO flex fuel are normal 650whp ish, and no need up grade tran or engine and still has stock turbos, once u getting 750whp then u might need to up grade to trans . Im one of those lucky one to own ISF and daily and GTR for weekend, i know exactly what i'm talking about My ISF is not stock by the way FBO and tuned also so does my GTR FBO with flex fuel over 2 yrs now with any issue , just as reliable as ISF is. plus one thing about GTR is awd and it stick like crazy with all the monster whp you have , rwd car not so much, u can have at least 3 maps load into GTR for any driving styles, and launch from dig, rolling launch talking about missile lolz .
Old 01-23-19, 12:48 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,389 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF4life
nope , maybe those for CBA , for all DBA , just FBO flex fuel are normal 650whp ish, and no need up grade tran or engine and still has stock turbos, once u getting 750whp then u might need to up grade to trans . Im one of those lucky one to own ISF and daily and GTR for weekend, i know exactly what i'm talking about My ISF is not stock by the way FBO and tuned also so does my GTR FBO with flex fuel over 2 yrs now with any issue , just as reliable as ISF is. plus one thing about GTR is awd and it stick like crazy with all the monster whp you have , rwd car not so much, u can have at least 3 maps load into GTR for any driving styles, and launch from dig, rolling launch talking about missile lolz .
If you read it, I stated the generation of the R35. 08-10 had major transmission issues holding power. They revised it in 2011 with different clutch plates, more clutch plates to be exact. But as stated, with all the GTR's of the 1st "gen" of the R35's had similar issues across the board. But based off of what I'm assuming his budget is, off of an IS300 or ISF I'm sure a first gen is what he'd be going for without going for broke. Also it's a completely different tuning platform. Sounds like you're referring to a COBB tuner. But from a reliability stand point, completely different. Can't base 1 scenario and say it's a dominant platform. Have to look across the broad spectrum.

-Sean
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 01-23-19, 03:41 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

That 08 to 11 are CBA, from 2012 and up are DBA Nissan Fixed and revised and bump more hp to date from what 485 to now 565hp most of FBO flex fuel or not flex fuel pushing 600 to 700whp or Alpha 7 are bulletproof once u goes beyond that 750whp then got to up grade lots of things. TSM now has turbos green up dating doing 800whp keeping stock engine and stock trans. slightly more hp than FBO flex . Warranty for 1 year at least

https://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic...age-delivered/